webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Can someone explain the "EVDO Mode" settings for us?
Can someone explain the "EVDO Mode" settings for us?

Old 09/16/2009, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm hoping to get a definitive explanation of the EVDO modes, not speculation, not guesses, not opinions, and not what your uncle told you...

##3836# brings up the EVDO Mode selection, with the following options:

- 1xRTT only
- EVDO Rev 0 only
- Hybrid Rev 0
- EVDO only
- Hybrid Rev A

What does what and what is what for?

I read in other posts that you couldn't use the Pre for phone calls if you put it in any of the EVDO modes, but I tried "EVDO Rev 0 only" and "EVDO only" and was able to still make calls (yes, after saving and resetting radio)... so, does anyone REALLY know what the modes are?
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Test them out and see if they are configured like most other CDMA phones.

set to evdo rev 0.

open up data connection. Make sure it live connection, like streaming audio or something.

Call your cell phone, send yourself SMS and try calling out.

Repeat with each mode and report your findings.
Compusmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

The modes refer to the type of cellular connection being used. 1xRTT is the oldest CDMA standard, and the slowest, then they moved to EVDO rev 0 and finally EVDO rev A.

In default mode, the phone will try to establish a connection with EVDO rev A first, then down to EVDO rev 0 and finally fall back to 1xRTT. This mode is called "Hybrid Rev A" in the menu. This is fine most of the time, but if you are in an area and you cant get good signal, you can go to this setting, and change the radio to disable 1xRTT mode (EVDO only) or disable EVDO and force 1xRTT. Since you are shutting down one of the two radios in the phone, you will most likely see an increase in signal. (at my brothers basement apartment, we went from 1 bar to 5 switching from Hybrid Rev A to EVDO only).

The downside is that if you force one mode or the other, you will probably drop calls more often as you move around the city, or in some cases, you will not get signal at all. Therefore, it is important to SWITCH YOUR PHONE BACK TO HYBRID mode when you leave the area with a weak signal! That way, if you are in an area with no EVDO service, the phone can fall back on the older towers still operating.

I hope all this makes sense....
jnemesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

That makes sense to me.
Old 09/16/2009, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
I'm hoping to get a definitive explanation of the EVDO modes, not speculation, not guesses, not opinions, and not what your uncle told you...

##3836# brings up the EVDO Mode selection, with the following options:

- 1xRTT only
- EVDO Rev 0 only
- Hybrid Rev 0
- EVDO only
- Hybrid Rev A

What does what and what is what for?

I read in other posts that you couldn't use the Pre for phone calls if you put it in any of the EVDO modes, but I tried "EVDO Rev 0 only" and "EVDO only" and was able to still make calls (yes, after saving and resetting radio)... so, does anyone REALLY know what the modes are?
My uncle says that these have nothing to do with the phone, they are all data modes.

1XRTT only -- gives access only to 1G speeds
EVDO Rev 0 only -- gives access only to 2G speeds
Hybrid Rev 0 -- gives access only to 1G and 2G speeds
EVDO only -- gives access only to 2G and 3G speeds
Hybrid Rev A -- allows access to any data speed available, 1G, 2G or 3G
jws021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by GigaS27, jhodnettejr
Old 09/16/2009, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can't receive calls when in EVDO only mode.
Old 09/16/2009, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, that was one of the shortcomings of EVDO Rev 0. Rev A not only increased the speed of the data connection (in most cases) but also allowed concurrent data and voice calls.

That was also why, on the older Rev 0 phones you had to disconnect the data connection before you could make voice calls.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously, my uncle lied . Sorry.
jws021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just posted in another thread on this topic and if you search, you may find some more information.

I set my phone to EVDO only and I was able to make calls even though the icon for the signal strength had an 'x' over it showing no signal. I was able to make a call, so I don't understand the 'x'.

I switched to EVDO only mode because my phone would randomly switch from EV to 1X as I was on the Internet. So I decided to force to EVDO so this wouldn't happen and it worked! The only problem was the damn x over the signal bars!

One thing I didn't try was receiving a call. DrHeathenScum, are you saying that you couldn't receive a call in EVDO only mode?
Old 09/16/2009, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes.... called my Pre while it was in EVDO only mode and only got voicemail
Thanked By: nyquistJack
Old 09/16/2009, 04:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sounds like there should be a No EVDO Rev 0 option.
jadiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws021 View Post
My uncle says that these have nothing to do with the phone, they are all data modes.

1XRTT only -- gives access only to 1G speeds
EVDO Rev 0 only -- gives access only to 2G speeds
Hybrid Rev 0 -- gives access only to 1G and 2G speeds
EVDO only -- gives access only to 2G and 3G speeds
Hybrid Rev A -- allows access to any data speed available, 1G, 2G or 3G
So when looking at the EVDO Icon at the top of the screen, I usually see a gray box with EV in either white or black text. Which one means what?
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 07:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Here's how it was explained to me.

ALL modes should allow you to make "emergency" calls.

1xRTT is slow data, voice.
EVDO ONLY modes = DATA only. The voice radio (1x) is off. All inbound calls, txts, etc go to voicemail.
Hybrid modes, allow both voice and data inbound and outbound, with inbound/outbound voice stopping the data channel radio.

Rev 0 is for compatibility with Sprint's older towers that haven't had the Rev A upgrade.

Feel free to test each one of these out using the scenario I posted with data stream active, inbound, outbound and inbound SMS.

1X will get you the absolute best Battery, but slow data.
Hybrid gives you the "best" of voice/fast data, but will eat battery faster since you're maintaining both radios.
Old 09/16/2009, 07:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
So when looking at the EVDO Icon at the top of the screen, I usually see a gray box with EV in either white or black text. Which one means what?
grey is like DATA active, black is data not active. (at that moment) I could have them switched, but I think that's correct.
Old 09/16/2009, 09:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

What I understood is that these are data only modes and don't impact voice. However, notification of incoming calls comes over 1xRTT, which is why if you exclude it through one of the EVDO only modes, you won't be able to receive incoming calls (I tested this and it's true, you can't get incoming calls). You also won't be able to receive (and possibly send) text messages as those also go through 1xRTT. Finally, GPS won't work either, because GPS gets its assisted data via, you guessed it, 1xRTT. So you really need hybrid, or 1xRTT only, in order for the phone to work properly.
Old 09/16/2009, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
grey is like DATA active, black is data not active. (at that moment) I could have them switched, but I think that's correct.
Yeah, grey box with black "EV" is data enabled but not active. Grey box with white "EV" is data active.
Old 09/16/2009, 09:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Great info... thanks guys!
Old 09/16/2009, 10:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Here is the low down:
When you are in EVDO only you will not be able to receive calls or text messages until you either go to 1x or hybrid.
The reason your EVDO signal is better than your 1xrtt signal is because Sprint powers up the EVDO signal for as much penetration and coverage as possible. They can do this because EVDO is mostly Downlink and you will not notice that much of an imbalance when using data.
If this was done on the 1xrtt side you would see more power to the phone but your phone will not be able to return "uplink" back to the tower resulting in one way audio and dropped calls.

When in EVDO mode and you make a call the reason you see an X by the bars is because it has cut over to 1xrtt mode to make the call and there is no EVDO signal.
jeremy2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by jbg7474, nyquistJack
Old 09/16/2009, 10:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

One day a week, I am in a rural area in which my phone is on roaming and on 1xRTT. Most of my calls go straight to voicemail in this situation. Does anyone know why? Thanks.
bevcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 11:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

so how to manage your palm pre from losing the service of the EVDO( when the "EV" symbol goes black on da grey background.) when that goes black, i cant use sprint locator.
mr.president09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: arqi

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0