Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    With the Treo, data, albeit slow, was almost always available with 1XRRT. With the Pre, if i dont have EVDO signal, there is no default 1XRRT backup and no data. Why is that? Even though 1XRRT is slow, its better than no data.
    Can anyone tell me why when I set it to "EVDO only" I get an EV signal but when I set it to any Hybrid mode I only get 1X? I've always been told that Sprint does not have EVDO in my area but when I run a speedtest on EVDO it tells me that my isp is Sprint. What gives? I wish so badly that I could get EVDO but as mentioned previously if I select "EVDO Only" I do not get incoming calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by kgubler View Post
    Can anyone tell me why when I set it to "EVDO only" I get an EV signal but when I set it to any Hybrid mode I only get 1X? I've always been told that Sprint does not have EVDO in my area but when I run a speedtest on EVDO it tells me that my isp is Sprint. What gives? I wish so badly that I could get EVDO but as mentioned previously if I select "EVDO Only" I do not get incoming calls.
    I've seen this type of thing in the Howard Forums. Chances are Sprint is 'testing' EVDO equipment. So while it isn't available for the masses, when you force your phone into EVDO it picks up that signal.
    How do you change EVDO modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 51fordcustom View Post
    Read the thread. It is said how to on the first page.
    Thanks, brain fart. I over looked that.
    Thanks, brain fart. I over looked that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    One day a week, I am in a rural area in which my phone is on roaming and on 1xRTT. Most of my calls go straight to voicemail in this situation. Does anyone know why? Thanks.
    Verizon doesn't allow speeds faster than 1xRTT for Sprint users roaming on their network. Hence, you only get 1xRTT when you're roaming on Verizon.

1xRTT is an older standard that does not allow an incoming call to interrupt an active data session. So if your phone is transferring data at 1xRTT at that moment, any incoming call will go to voicemail. This is indeed quite annoying.

If you are waiting for an important call in a roaming only area, I suggest you go into phone prefs and turn off data, or you might miss the call.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Yes, that was one of the shortcomings of EVDO Rev 0. Rev A not only increased the speed of the data connection (in most cases) but also allowed concurrent data and voice calls.

That was also why, on the older Rev 0 phones you had to disconnect the data connection before you could make voice calls.
    Is this true? I thought this was one of the biggest points that AT&T ads are currently pounding into our heads. You can't be on a call while on the internet--at least on Verizon. Verizon has deployed EVDO Rev A by now haven't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by exieramos View Post
    Is this true? I thought this was one of the biggest points that AT&T ads are currently pounding into our heads. You can't be on a call while on the internet--at least on Verizon. Verizon has deployed EVDO Rev A by now haven't they?
    The post you quote is misleading. CDMA does *not* allow concurrent data and voice, whether using 1xRTT, EVDO Rev 0, or EVDO Rev A. What the poster probably meant (and is true) is that in the hybrid EVDO modes, you can be browsing the web and have an active data connection going and still receive an incoming call notification. Now once you answer the call, you will not be able to download data over the mobile network until the call is done.

The issue with the EVDO only modes is that they prevent incoming call notification from happening. That notification happens on 1xRTT only. Hence the hybrid modes are a combination of EVDO (fast data, no call notification) and 1xRTT (slow data, call notification).
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thanks mu7efcer!

I actually already understood this from reading the rest of posts in this thread but I wanted someone that had more knowledge of the technology and how its deployed to explain it better than I could have. I'm sure newcomers to this forum (Verizon Pre users reading this thread) may have gotten the wrong idea as well. Thanks Again!
    Quote Originally Posted by jws021 View Post
    My uncle says that these have nothing to do with the phone, they are all data modes.

1XRTT only -- gives access only to 1G speeds
    EVDO Rev 0 only -- gives access only to 2G speeds
    Hybrid Rev 0 -- gives access only to 1G and 2G speeds
    EVDO only -- gives access only to 2G and 3G speeds
    Hybrid Rev A -- allows access to any data speed available, 1G, 2G or 3G
    1X = 3G
    EVDO (rev 0) = 3G+
    EVDO (only) = EVDO (rev 0)
    EVDO (rev A) = 3G++

The point i'm making here is that all access Sprint's 3G network... some faster than others... I don't think Sprint has put a phone out for it's network that does 2G for quite awhile... 3G is soooo 2005. You need to look at the faster 3G speeds like EVDO and Rev A... or even WiMax!! And yes they do have to do with the phone... as in what kind of radio it has in it... you can't just magically make a non-Rev A phone be a Rev-A phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    The post you quote is misleading. CDMA does *not* allow concurrent data and voice, whether using 1xRTT, EVDO Rev 0, or EVDO Rev A. What the poster probably meant (and is true) is that in the hybrid EVDO modes, you can be browsing the web and have an active data connection going and still receive an incoming call notification. Now once you answer the call, you will not be able to download data over the mobile network until the call is done.

The issue with the EVDO only modes is that they prevent incoming call notification from happening. That notification happens on 1xRTT only. Hence the hybrid modes are a combination of EVDO (fast data, no call notification) and 1xRTT (slow data, call notification).
    This is true... but there is one gotcha... you can perform data transactions while over wifi. Be on a call over cellular network, browse the web over wifi... it's still using both no matter how you cut it...
    Dial ##3836# This will bring up the menu page.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by leblancn13 View Post
    This is true... but there is one gotcha... you can perform data transactions while over wifi. Be on a call over cellular network, browse the web over wifi... it's still using both no matter how you cut it...
    Very true, I did this to my surprise just last week. While on a call with a friend I did a web search for info I wanted to share, found the page and forwarded it to my friend via e-mail without interrupting our converstion. VERY COOL
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by leblancn13 View Post
    Actually, that "gotcha" is N/A.

People here are not talking about the phone being capable. It is more of "is the CDMA network capable?" The cell towers cannot transfer data and a voice communication simultaneously. It is a limitation of the specifications of EVDO. Your "gotcha" is irrelevant due to the fact it avoids the cell towers completely.

But yes, WiFi, being separate from the carrier's cell towers, will work while on a call.

Of course, this will all be changed when Sprint rolls out 4G/WiMax and (hopefully) uses VoIP for the calls when on data (and maybe 1xRTT or 3G when not using data/as a backup).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    ummm...

So where is it on the phone you manually set these specific modes?
    Some people really need to actually read the thread... just saying.
    Cool, I just saved this command as one of my contacts and I have it set to EVDO only and my signal meter just went up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    ummm...

So where is it on the phone you manually set these specific modes?
    From the phone keypad enter ##3836#. It will open up a menu that will allow you to select an EVDO mode.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast