1.    #1  
    Something really weird happened yesterday, I was coming out of class and I got a call from a Palm Representative. I had returned my phone on two different occasions and the representative wanted to know why I returned the phones and what I generally though about the Pre.

The representative acknowledged the issue with the battery, and how the phone turned off when you closed the Pre.

I also had an issue with the 3.5mm jack, and that it would not revert back to headset when I removed the 3.5mm jack.

I also made a general comment on how the phone swivels and feels like it will break.

Hopefully they take these comments and back a better built, but it just came as a surprise as I have never ever had a cell phone company call me regarding the phone quality and the defects.
    Been there. Palm called me and sent me out a new battery. I think they are trying to get a handle on what ticks people off.
    had you returned your phone to a retail store, or through Palm directly?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Been there. Palm called me and sent me out a new battery. I think they are trying to get a handle on what ticks people off.

I made a comment that they should replace the defective phones that swivel with the better engineered ones that come out. It is a long shot, but who knows, maybe have an exchange program where we pay some fee to get it replaced.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    had you returned your phone to a retail store, or through Palm directly?
    I returned it to Sprint directly. I was under the 30-day money back guarantee, and the next time was a few months later, and it was the 3.5mm jack issue, and Sprint replaced the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashakouri1 View Post
    I made a comment that they should replace the defective phones that swivel with the better engineered ones that come out. It is a long shot, but who knows, maybe have an exchange program where we pay some fee to get it replaced.
    I don't think that will ever happen. However, I never thought they would give me a free battery either.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I don't think that will ever happen. However, I never thought they would give me a free battery either.
    The guy admitted to me that there were defects with the battery and the swivel. So technically, I think a consumer has a right to ask for a replacement or go to court and get some money back.
    You have to wonder how many they've sold and then how many free replacements they have handed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    You have to wonder how many they've sold and then how many free replacements they have handed out.
    They're about to hand out another, since my speaker blew out
    I'm sort of amazed at some the issues. Palm had problems with the jack on Treos. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson, and made sure the one in the Pre was a higher quality piece. But it seems the new management team decided they knew it all, had nothing to learn from exising Palm employees. Sad.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Dunno what it is, but the build quality of these things is still mostly crap. It's what broke me, for sure.

Great that Palm acknowledges. Sucks that they don't seem to actually know how to fix them.
    My guess is that fixing the build quality would probably require switching manufacturers. If so, contractual terms may prevent that. I think we're stuck until the Pre 2 (or its equivalent) comes out with a redesigned slider mechanism.