Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can't help but noticing more than an average share of people hating on the Pre's battery. While i can relate, i have to say at this point in time (on my second Pre) I am no complaints whatsoever! Even with my first Pre it was great, and here is what i noticed....

In the beginning out of the box the Pre's battery is not primed I guess you can say, now I am no expert on batteries but i know that just by following the manual on topping off and charging when low in the beginning goes along way! Eventually after 4 days or so my Pre's battery life lasted well into the night on a single charge, sometimes even into the following day with min usage!

What gives, why does mine last all day and some only 4hrs or so? Well I realized that 7 days a week at some point for a good amount of time I am in a wifi spot (my job, my parents house, my apt. friends etc..) which saves the battery like you wouldn't believe! Even while i sometimes go into roam at my job, its not as bad because i am connected wirelessly. Now there are other variables like leaving programs in the background running especially Navi while in a non wifi spot (thats a big drainer) and using Pandora for an hour or so is def on that list of hard drainers.

In closing at this point i just throw my Pre on the charger right before bed, take it off first thing in the morning and by 10pm I am somewhere between 20-40% depending on my usage for that day! I have to say i use web, txt, and email (only when it arrives) pretty consistently throughout the day...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

I've noticed the same thing. Because I have a far faster than EVDO connection at home, I've noticed that my battery usage drastically increases when I use EVDO. My phone lasts easily all day with WiFi.

Bel, the mostly sane..
    I noticed the same, except when connected to Instant Messaging. When the phone goes into sleep mode it reverts to EVDO and despite having 4 bars the battery drains much faster. I'm going to try the "Nodoze" ap, starting with a full battery, today and leave Instant Messaging connected all day and then try again without Nodoze tomorrow and see what happens.

I'll report findings tomorrow some time.
    The problem with WiFi in 1.1 is EVDO stays on. You'll see more battery savings with 1.2, when you have the option to turn EVDO off. Last night I used my phone pretty much non stop, had the screen on the whole time, for 4 hours, and went from 100 to 40, I'd say thats pretty decent, and was all because I had EVDO disabled and had WiFi enabled.
    Doesn't EV disable if wifi is enabled?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Yes if there is a wifi connetion available if not it will go to EV
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    The battery does not prime. The Pre needs to be calibrated to the battery capacity. Everytime there has been an os update everone complains about battery life for a few days because the calibration info gets reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    No. The EV radio stays on. It's a new feature in 1.2 to give you the option to turn the EV radio off.
    wow.. apparently I had my info mixed up... I walk around with my wifi turned off to "save" battery, but what you guys are sayin is that if i'm on wifi, my battery will last longer?? i'm confused. I thought it was like the laptop's wireless card, u disable it when not in use to save battery...
    wifi seems to help mine
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mslayer82 View Post
    wow.. apparently I had my info mixed up... I walk around with my wifi turned off to "save" battery, but what you guys are sayin is that if i'm on wifi, my battery will last longer?? i'm confused. I thought it was like the laptop's wireless card, u disable it when not in use to save battery...
    From what I understand, wifi turned on while being connected helps, but if its on and you don't connect to an available wifi than its worse.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Read the battery saving tips threads...it was one of the first things that came out that Wifi helps with your battery.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by DSPKweb View Post
    Read the battery saving tips threads...it was one of the first things that came out that Wifi helps with your battery.
    A link to the thread would've been nice, but thanks anyways
    Clarification - Wifi disables EVDO data transmission, but the radio remains on. In 1.2 you will be able to turn the radio off as well.

Both WiFi and EVDO cannot work at the same time, so having WiFi on and trasmitting will help your battery.
    All well and good, but the only place I'm routinely at with wi-fi is my house. During the normal work day I'm on EVDO, with no wi-fi available.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I've been running experiments using Battery Monitor to determine battery life. What I'm discovering is that by far, the single biggest impact on battery life is usage. The more that I use the pre, and data in particular, the less the battery lasts. Using the phone constantly can drain the battery in 3 hours.

Besides usage patterns, here are some things I've observed:

• Strong wifi signal provides significant improvement in battery life
    • Poor Sprint signal provides significant reduction in battery life
    • GPS off provides minimal to no improvement in battery life
    • Bluetooth off provides minimal to no improvement in battery life

Still, nothing consumes battery life more than usage. If I laid the phone on my night stand (where I have good Sprint signal) it would run for about 4 days before draining. If I locked the phone at my desk at work (where I have really bad Sprint signal) it'd run for just under 3 days before draining. But if I use the phone (in the best of conditions - strong wifi, strong sprint, no BT & no GPS) it'll only last 3 hours.

Right now, my results are more qualitative than I'd like. I wish that I had 3-4 pre's available to me so that I could impose identical usage patterns on them at the same time and the same location to determine quantitative differences. But I've just got mine. Anyone willing to lend me theirs for a couple weeks? (Yeah, I know. I crack you up. I get that a lot.)

Alternatively, what I'd really like is the data that Palm is sending to itself. That way I could correlate location and usage across multiple days to get a better sense of usage. Has anyone been able to decipher the data that Palm sends itself?
    This made me laugh I would have to concur that using the phone more definitely makes the battery die faster.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I've been running experiments using Battery Monitor to determine battery life. What I'm discovering is that by far, the single biggest impact on battery life is usage. The more that I use the pre, and data in particular, the less the battery lasts. Using the phone constantly can drain the battery in 3 hours.
    I love the battery monitor app. I have tested this as well and my findings match yours. +1 The only exception is the GPS one. If you have GPS on, and providing background info, it will kill your battery. Having GPS on without the background info does not adversly affect the battery as it is not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Besides usage patterns, here are some things I've observed:

• Strong wifi signal provides significant improvement in battery life
    • Poor Sprint signal provides significant reduction in battery life
    • GPS off provides minimal to no improvement in battery life
    • Bluetooth off provides minimal to no improvement in battery life

Still, nothing consumes battery life more than usage. If I laid the phone on my night stand (where I have good Sprint signal) it would run for about 4 days before draining. If I locked the phone at my desk at work (where I have really bad Sprint signal) it'd run for just under 3 days before draining. But if I use the phone (in the best of conditions - strong wifi, strong sprint, no BT & no GPS) it'll only last 3 hours.

Right now, my results are more qualitative than I'd like. I wish that I had 3-4 pre's available to me so that I could impose identical usage patterns on them at the same time and the same location to determine quantitative differences. But I've just got mine. Anyone willing to lend me theirs for a couple weeks? (Yeah, I know. I crack you up. I get that a lot.)

Alternatively, what I'd really like is the data that Palm is sending to itself. That way I could correlate location and usage across multiple days to get a better sense of usage. Has anyone been able to decipher the data that Palm sends itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by mslayer82 View Post
    When it comes to OS 1.1 and below phones, you won't save much battery using WiFi, but you also won't really burn any leaving it on, because when your phone is in sleep mode, your WiFi disables anyways, so any time the screen goes off, WiFi is off. With 1.2, they've given you the option to use WiFi and disable the EV radio, which will save battery, because WiFi is a more efficient connection than EVDO, for a lot of different reasons, none of which I'll really get into right now. Problem being with the current implementation is that the WiFi radio will still go into sleep mode when the phone is in sleep mode, meaning you'll potentially miss emails and AIM/Gtalk conversations. Hopefully they resolve this, because I keep my phone in WiFi only mode every evening.
    they just need to make a battery that will last at least 1 full day without having to charge the darn thing. I bought the car charger and have a usb charger at home and one at the office.

I use my phone for work as well as personal, so mine dies from 8am start time at about 2-3pm the latest unless I plug it in somewhere. It's annoying, I have to remember to take it with me if I leave the office....
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The problem with WiFi in 1.1 is EVDO stays on. You'll see more battery savings with 1.2, when you have the option to turn EVDO off.
    I'd like to confirm that actually. I've been setting my Pre to Airplane Mode, then separately enabling Wi-fi.

Would EVDO still be on in that scenario?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast