Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I love to use Wifi at home.
    But since I'm at college, they want us to download some of their anti-spyware, and that's the only way you can access the internet.

So I can get on their network, but cannot access the internet because it cannot recognize the Pre Browser, heh. =/
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I'm hoping battery life (among other things) will get better with 1.2.
    I mean I have about 8 charges, a portable USB charger, 2 spare batteries, etc...
    That's just gd ridiculous.
    I was like you my first few weeks with the Pre and saw that wasn't going to work for me, either. I splurged for the Seidio 2600mAh battery - the 2nd biggest battery I saw and it works great for my use. I am on the phone regularly throughout the day accessing multiple email accounts, IM, text, and sometimes FB & twitter. Now I have added 2 hrs a day of riding the bus to my usage and I'm still able to make it on an overnight charge. I have run this battery down, too, but usually it is the end of the evening before I hit 20%.

I didn't see a Touchstone available for this battery/cover, which is a bit disappointing, but this way I can actually *use* the phone all day.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I have a local flat rate provider EVDO USB modem and a CradlePoint 3G router that function togeter like a MyFi only better and cheaper. I keep that set up at work and my home WiFi n network at home.

I've recently started just leaving WiFi on my Pre turned on so it's almost always connected to one of my hotspots.

I've seen my battery usage go from 20 to 40 percent at the end of the day to usually above 80%.

Granted, my EVDO MyFi is no faster than Sprint's EVDO, but it's plugged in to power system.
    Last edited by wodin; 09/22/2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by retirecom View Post
    I was like you my first few weeks with the Pre and saw that wasn't going to work for me, either. I splurged for the Seidio 2600mAh battery - the 2nd biggest battery I saw and it works great for my use. I am on the phone regularly throughout the day accessing multiple email accounts, IM, text, and sometimes FB & twitter. Now I have added 2 hrs a day of riding the bus to my usage and I'm still able to make it on an overnight charge. I have run this battery down, too, but usually it is the end of the evening before I hit 20%.

I didn't see a Touchstone available for this battery/cover, which is a bit disappointing, but this way I can actually *use* the phone all day.
    I've been considering the 2600 battery but if 1.2 does not impress I think I may give up on the Pre and start looking at the TP2 (or other alternatives).

I'm pretty tech savvy, being in the IT field, so the Pre is (barely) usable/passable (with mods, hacks, homebrews) when compared to previous or other current devices. I can't imagine typical business power users are happy with the Pre (if they are not aware/open to hacks/mods/homebrews). I would guess that less than 10-15% of Palm Pre users frequent boards or use homebrew apps/mods.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I can't imagine typical business power users are happy with the Pre (if they are not aware/open to hacks/mods/homebrews). I would guess that less than 10-15% of Palm Pre users frequent boards or use homebrew apps/mods.
    You’re absolutely right, at this point they wouldn't, the typical business users are not the target audience, Those would be Blackberry and WinMo users. That's why Palm has categorized the Pre in the “Appliance” category instead of the “Enterprise” category.

In a year or two, well who knows; but now? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    You’re absolutely right, at this point they wouldn't, the typical business users are not the target audience, Those would be Blackberry and WinMo users. That's why Palm has categorized the Pre in the “Appliance” category instead of the “Enterprise” category.

In a year or two, well who knows; but now? No.
    I think you are very wrong in the assumption... but...
    If that is the case then I think Palm has made (or is in the process of making) a critical mistake. If nothing else, in its marketing.

Palm has always been known as a business tool / PIM. If this doesn't even meet the standards they themselves previously set with almost every device they have put to market, they should have made damn sure they marketed it differently.

However, I do not think that is thier intention and they obviously intend for this to also be a "Enterprise" tool... or else they would not have put such an emphasis on Exchange support.

They clearly intend on targetting the same audience as WinMo and Blackberry (imo).
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I am not yet convinced that wifi is better over EVDO when EVDO signal is weak. I've had my Pre for almost a week now. Every night before I go to bed my Pre is fully charged. I have no additional apps that run at night so basically my Pre is stock. I use the alarm clock feature.

For the last several nights the Pre is sitting at about 90% - 93% in the morning. So last night I installed nodoze so that I can make sure the wifi connections stays on all night. I didn't set nodoze to keep the screen on. This morning my Pre was sitting at 55%! I thought my HTC TP was bad!

The only other change I can think of would be that I set google mail to "as items arive". I am not using EAS. I'll be testing again tonight for sure but setting gmail to 15 min checks instead but I seriously doubt gmail was the cause of my major battery drain this morning.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    No. The EV radio stays on. It's a new feature in 1.2 to give you the option to turn the EV radio off.
    I have not been able to find the option to turn off EVDO while leaving voice on.

Help would be appreciated.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I have not been able to find the option to turn off EVDO while leaving voice on.

Help would be appreciated.
    go to the phone preferences. its an on/off switch for 'Data Usage'
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I read the thread and tried turning WiFi on. I found my battery draining just as fast or faster. I didn't turn the EVDO data off, but thought this would happen automatically. Did notice that when the phone turns the screen off and comes back the WiFi is disconnected and needs to reconnect. I suspect the EVDO is on when it is snoozing.
    Like I said. I am near wifi nearly all day and have multiple email accounts. Wifi has minimal impact on my battery life.

Even surfing with wifi vs edvo is similar (both eat through the battery like there is no tomorrow).
  12.    #52  
    Like I said. I am near wifi nearly all day and have multiple email accounts. Wifi has minimal impact on my battery life.

Even surfing with wifi vs edvo is similar (both eat through the battery like there is no tomorrow).
    Well if you have your email being pushed from multiple accounts all day its not really going to matter if your connected via wifi to be honest, I am connected all day long to Wifi with email as it arrives and had great success until 1.2.1 and adding the LED notification ... now its draining faster than usual, and its making me somewhat concerned.

I think a big contributer to the drain for me anyways is that before even 1.20 I never let the battery fully drain out where the phone shuts off, now that has happened like 3 or 4 x since 1.2.1 and i am positive its effecting the longevity of the battery as i can firmly see ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123