Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So im on a popular web page, and I see a sprint add.....

what videos could I take, and upload with the PRE?? (notice the sarcasm) funny they would put a phone in the ad that cant even do what the ad is touting!
    Busted! Although, they don't specially say the Pre. The Canadians are still waiting for Google maps to perform compass functions without the software and compass.
    It seems as though they may have misworded what they where truly saying but who knows
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Yeah, they say "uploaded on [to] Sprint phones" which means you watched YouTube (assuming they meant "on to" otherwise who the hell knows).

Now, if they said "uploaded from Sprint phones", then this would be a whole different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Yeah, they say "uploaded on [to] Sprint phones" which means you watched YouTube (assuming they meant "on to" otherwise who the hell knows).

Now, if they said "uploaded from Sprint phones", then this would be a whole different story.
    Close. Technically, we DOWNload the to our phones from youtube. We UPload to youtube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Close. Technically, we DOWNload the to our phones from youtube. We UPload to youtube.
    Technically we can upload videos to our phone through USB. Technically. Just playing devil's advocate.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Um, what do you think Youtube is doing? They're uploading to your phone... which is what I was talking about. You have to look at it more than one way.

My upload is your download.
    OMG! The semantics here is killing me. LOL

Historically, the 'up' in upload means data is moving from a smaller system (typically a local terminal) upto a larger system (typically a mainframe). Since users were ALWAYS on terminals, it was common to think of an 'upload' as a 'send'. Similarly, the 'down' in download means data is moving from a larger system downto a smaller system. Again, given the user's perspective (at a terminal) it would be common to think of a 'download' as a 'get' or 'receive'. However, 'send' and 'get' are not the true meanings of 'upload' and 'download' respectively, rather they are meanings of common usage.

Hence, a file moving from YouTube (a large server farm) to the Pre (a small device) is a download.

However, given modern usage, the two terms have become so jumbled that their once mutually-exclusive meanings have become somewhat skewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    OMG! The semantics here is killing me. LOL

Historically, the 'up' in upload means data is moving from a smaller system (typically a local terminal) upto a larger system (typically a mainframe). Since users were ALWAYS on terminals, it was common to think of an 'upload' as a 'send'. Similarly, the 'down' in download means data is moving from a larger system downto a smaller system. Again, given the user's perspective (at a terminal) it would be common to think of a 'download' as a 'get' or 'receive'. However, 'send' and 'get' are not the true meanings of 'upload' and 'download' respectively, rather they are meanings of common usage.

Hence, a file moving from YouTube (a large server farm) to the Pre (a small device) is a download.

However, given modern usage, the two terms have become so jumbled that their once mutually-exclusive meanings have become somewhat skewed.
    This is basically what I was getting at. When you go to post a video on youtube, they dont ask you to download the file, they ask you to upload it. Same as when I place something from my desktop to my web server. However, when I go to access youtube or that same webserver and transfer files to whatever device I'm accessing them on, I'm downloading them.

Perhaps the true meanings are jumbled, but I think MOST net savvy ppl would agree with this.