Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had sprint for 8 years prior to the iPhone. Since then I have loved the iPhone and had each version, 1st gen, 3g/3gs, but AT&T just is not up to par. I am seriously considering getting a pre and getting a pixi for the wife when it comes out. Has anyone here switched and if so what are your thoughts/regrets or overall experience.

Please keep the flaming to a minimum if you could as I am seriously thinking about this and want an honest opinion from people who have owned an iPhone.

Thank yoiu for your help!
    What do you typically use your phone for?
    Are you a business heavy user?
    Whats important to you?
    What can you not live without?
    I've switched from the first gen iphone to the palm pre. I don't regret it all, my bill is much cheaper and WebOs is just going to continue to get better.
    I do admit though I miss a lot of apps from the iphone.
  5.    #5  
    I use the iPhone for music(although I may just get an iPod touch). I stream a lot of podcasts, use text, web and email. I would say I use it for email and text the most. I have looked at the homebrew podcast apps and they look like they would be good enough if not better than iPhone's. I could not live without a constant connection which I know SPrint has so I think it will be good.

I have played around with the pre a few times for about 3-5 minutes but not used it for any real time.
    I've adjusted pretty well from the iphone to the palm pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I use the iPhone for music(although I may just get an iPod touch). I stream a lot of podcasts, use text, web and email. I would say I use it for email and text the most. I have looked at the homebrew podcast apps and they look like they would be good enough if not better than iPhone's. I could not live without a constant connection which I know SPrint has so I think it will be good.

I have played around with the pre a few times for about 3-5 minutes but not used it for any real time.
    heres what you do. Get a pre, then install mytether so you can wifi tether to an ipod touch. Best of both worlds!
    I switch - I really Like The Pre Better - I had a 3 G-
    You will miss the iphone. I love the ipod. I like the pre too but it's in the early stage. If you get the pre and expect apps and games like the iphone, you might be let down. Homebrew is cool but they are beta right now until they graduate into the app store.

The pre wins on ease of use and kills the iphone on multi task, much better screen 16 mil, and of course the keyboard. They both are in a league of their own. I would get the pre and have an ipod on the side like I do. Best of both worlds
  10.    #10  
    you don't miss anything on the iPhone? I was thinking of getting the Sprint Airave femtocell also as I have terrible reception where I live. The building is brick and is like a feraday cage.

ALso I have read a lot of different things about the battery life on the pre. Can you get through a workday on the battery? Depending on the day and what I do I find I still have to charge the iPhone daily.
    Cdma is heavy on battery and battery is dependent on coverage. If you get full bars, you will have much better life then if your coverage fluctuates all day. I usually have good coverage everywhere I go. I also have two batteries. One for nav and pandora and one for daily use.
    I looooove the Pre over the iPhone... I ended up getting an ipod touch last year when I had a blackberry, because I missed the iPhone, then switched back to the iphone for the 3gs. Then switched away for the Pre, and this time I think it'll stick!

DrPodder is AWESOME for podcasts. The music app is ok (not quite up to iPhone status yet), but the multitasking ensures you can do a lot of things in a way you can't do them on the iPhone. Plus, Sprint service rocks... if you have coverage it's VERY fast.

Though I do recommend an iPod touch if you enjoy the iPhone gaming experience, and to play with the apps. But even without an iPod touch, I prefer my Pre (no pun intended :P)

The battery life is really on par with the 3g and 3gs (the 3gs actually seemed WORSE than the 3g despite Apple's claims to the contrary).
  13.    #13  
    So if you text trhoughout the day, surf occasionally and then check your email every 30-60 minutes will the battery last all day?
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    So if you text trhoughout the day, surf occasionally and then check your email every 30-60 minutes will the battery last all day?
    mine does. Ymmv.
    I've had both. Even worked for Apple. My opinion is, I like the iPhone & it has a lot of things going for it. But being at the mercy of Apple's ridiculous policies & being tied to AT&T isn't one of them. And the Palm Pre (while still new & in its infancy) and being on Sprint's network (which is TONS faster than AT&T's), was enough for me to make the switch.

The webOS is a hell of an OS, I can do anything I want with my phone (hell, Palm even encourages it. they basically built in Dev Mode just so we could mess around with it & install homebrew apps) & I'm on the fastest network in the US with the cheapest plans around.

Do I miss the iPhone? Sure I do. Its a great device. Anyone who says different is just being a hater or has never really owned one. However, like I said, there's a LOT of baggage that comes along with owing that phone.

But if you stripped all that away & just compared the devices themselves for what they are, I'd honestly say they're pretty equal in terms of awesomeness. The only thing the iPhone has going for it is video capture & their number of apps. But like I said, a lot of apps you'll never see on the iPhone (at least not legitimately) because of Apple's controlling ways.
  16.    #16  
    Thank you for the reply. If you have worked for apple have you also moved to palm like some others. I realized the constrains apple puts on the iPhone and it drives me nuts. I am concerned with battery life as well and would like to hear what people think of that as well.

The Pre has one major downfall for me in that it only has 8GB memory.

Do any of you use the TV and/or gps nav and what are your thoughts. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision.

ALso does anyone use the Airave femtocell?
    Yep, as an artist, I've always admired Apple's creativity but hated the company's cult culture. What attracts me to the Pre is getting the former without the latter. None of the "We're Apple; we don't do that" BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    The webOS is a hell of an OS, I can do anything I want with my phone (hell, Palm even encourages it. they basically built in Dev Mode just so we could mess around with it & install homebrew apps) & I'm on the fastest network in the US with the cheapest plans around.

Do I miss the iPhone? Sure I do. Its a great device. Anyone who says different is just being a hater or has never really owned one. However, like I said, there's a LOT of baggage that comes along with owing that phone.

But if you stripped all that away & just compared the devices themselves for what they are, I'd honestly say they're pretty equal in terms of awesomeness. The only thing the iPhone has going for it is video capture & their number of apps. But like I said, a lot of apps you'll never see on the iPhone (at least not legitimately) because of Apple's controlling ways.
    I agree with this. However, I wish Palm would roll out better updates and accelerate their SDK expansion.

For your use as described, the only thing I can see you having an issue with is the lag and the battery.

Sprint in my area KILLS AT&T.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Different angle, the money you save going with sprint should save you a minimum of $40 a month (mines $60 a month) the money you save per year can buy you the latest phone every year.

No brainer for me.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    I agree with this. However, I wish Palm would roll out better updates and accelerate their SDK expansion.

For your use as described, the only thing I can see you having an issue with is the lag and the battery.

Sprint in my area KILLS AT&T.
    What do you mean by lag?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast