Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    "ETF after one year is only $80"

Really? I thought it was $200 no matter what. I understand you can change your plan now with Sprint without renewing your contract.

Hope your right!

I found this after my post...

Early Termination Fee
    Oh, it doesn't go down for the first 4 months. Still, $120 isn't too bad.
    Yeah I have the Airave and it works flawlessly until your internet goes down for routine maintenance, like last night. That happens very rarely for me though, and I was much more annoyed that my surfing was interrupted. It was late anyway.

I haven't had a land line for years, and switched from T-mo's hotspot
    @home (that worked great too but the phone needs UMA hardware) to Sprint's Airave. They gave me one and waived the fee, but I do live in an acknowledged low reception area (just so many square blocks) on their own coverage map.

Two young girls live in the front of the building and are always outside making calls and texting on their iPhones due to lack of reception inside (the whole damn neighborhood really, it's hilarious). I have been telling them about Sprint (anywhere anytime mobile to mobile), the Airave, and of course the Pre.

I have to admit though, they both really seem to enjoy their iPhones. They text like mad on them.

When I showed one of them the Pre, with the physical keyboard extended and memo pad open so she could type, she touched the keys and said, "Oh, you have to actually press them! On my iPhone..."

If ATT had femtocells by now I would have definitely considered the iPhone. I had the original for 2 weeks but I had issues with it then, the main one being no signal in my apartment.

The Pre has kept my excitement and interest up since launch day now, and Homebrew has some very cool apps. I've made a lot of accommodations to its current limitations, like two Touchstones, which are a very cool and convenient accessory, whether at home or in a vehicle.

Since I'm on the 450 minute $69.99 plan, the anywhere mobile to mobile was a nice addition for me. For my purposes, I've got unlimited everything now.

Good luck and consider the Pre's smaller form factor (It really is fun to fondle), page down gesture in landscape, notifications (you gotta receive them and use them a while to fully appreciate them), and multitasking, to name a few of my favorites.
    Last edited by galavanter; 09/16/2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Glad everyone is enjoying their new pres.

Here are a couple of things to assess before the 30 day return window has closed:

1) Reception / signal strength: does your pre receive signal as well as your old phone in the same places? Does it switch from evdo to roaming and back or to no service at all?

2) Is there light leakage or dead pixels on screen?

3) Lag when using PIM apps like calendar, memos, etc. can you tolerate the 2 second lag when switching into and out of calendar?

4) Can you deal with the short battery life?

5)Are you comfortable with the keyboard?

6) Do you have the oreo effect? (loose slider mechanism?)

7) Watch for cracks in the screen after light use.

8) Watch the excessive heat during charging. this is worrisome to many.

9) Do you need or miss the 5 way navpad?

10) Beware of multiple returns. Many have reported that after 3-4 swaps for pres which are flawed, the stores may sometimes refuse to replace your phone and blame YOU for being rough on the pre when in all likelihood the hardware weaknesses are the roots of the problem.

11) Do you need or miss the iphone apps?

There may be other issues to consider but these are among my top issues with the phone.

If you find none of these are problems to you, congratulations and enjoy the new experience.
    How many of these issues do you have with your Pre?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 09/16/2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    The multi tasking is not missed until you actually use it for a day or two then you wonder how you managed without it.
    This matches my experience exactly. I had no idea how useful multitasking was until I started depending on it.
    Jailbreak your iphone and you will never look back.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    Jailbreak your iphone and you will never look back.
    Does jailbreaking give it an interface that doesn't rely on that stupid center button? Or a physical keyboard? Or a removable battery? Or change the big-brick-in-your-hand form factor? Or take Lord Jobs out of the decision chain? Or remove the "I've got an iPhone" stick from your ****?

Don't get me wrong, iPhone has it's advantages, but jailbraking still leaves you with all the other baggage.

And plus, if you're here in the Pre forum, you are looking back.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post

I really love the iPhone but...

Does jailbreaking give it an interface that doesn't rely on that stupid center button? Or a physical keyboard? Or a removable battery? Or change the big-brick-in-your-hand form factor? Or take Lord Jobs out of the decision chain? Or remove the "I've got an iPhone" stick from your ****?

Don't get me wrong, iPhone has it's advantages, but jailbraking still leaves you with all the other baggage.

And plus, if you're here in the Pre forum, you are looking back.
    Forgot something.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I had sprint for 8 years prior to the iPhone. Since then I have loved the iPhone and had each version, 1st gen, 3g/3gs, but AT&T just is not up to par. I am seriously considering getting a pre and getting a pixi for the wife when it comes out. Has anyone here switched and if so what are your thoughts/regrets or overall experience.

Please keep the flaming to a minimum if you could as I am seriously thinking about this and want an honest opinion from people who have owned an iPhone.
    I have a similar story as you. Love Sprint. Love iPhone. Hate ATT. So here's my opinion on the whole thing (scale of 1-10):

iPhone - 9
    ATT - 3
    Pre - 7
    Sprint - 9

Both have their gimmicky "innovations" that will get people angrily defending one over the other. But in reality then you just got to figure out what YOU need and ignore the jr salesmen out there.

For me then I needed a reliable service and my iPhone apps. And since neither were available on a single network then I've settled for a Pre on Sprint with my old iPhone tethering over wifi. It's inconvenient but it keeps my workflow intact, plus I get to enjoy the benefits of BOTH phones.

The Pre is good, but for App-loving iPhone users then it's definitely lacking in many areas so don't sell that iPhone so quick. And also, before you dive into the Pre then check out the Hero. Android is developing nicely and is worth considering.
    Forgot something.
    Well OK then. We will just wait and see how the Pre fairs when it comes to the UK. Sadly I for one have been very disappointed with what I have read about it. Palm could not even get there first UK showing right!
    And yes jailbreaking does take apple and jobs out. Bigger screen means bigger phone ;-) Battery is fixed but then not many people carry a spare, anyway even pre users dont they just seem to buy extra touchstones! And the pre has a centre button?.
    But time will tell.
    But mostly, I am just simply disappointed. I had really high hopes for this handset and from dodgy headfone jacks to cracked screens to crappy sliders.... and then a rubbish launch into the UK market!
    SORT IT OUT PALM!!!!
    Last edited by kamakazikev24; 09/16/2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Rant NOT over! LOL
    Well OK then. We will just wait and see how the Pre fairs when it comes to the UK. Sadly I for one have been very disappointed with what I have read about it. Palm could not even get there first UK showing right!
    And yes jailbreaking does take apple and jobs out. Bigger screen means bigger phone ;-) Battery is fixed but then not many people carry a spare, anyway even pre users dont they just seem to buy extra touchstones! And the pre has a centre button?.
    But time will tell.
    But mostly, I am just simply disappointed. I had really high hopes for this handset and from dodgy headfone jacks to cracked screens to crappy sliders.... and then a rubbish launch into the UK market!
    SORT IT OUT PALM!!!!
    No amount of jailbreaking will remove Steve Jobs from any Apple product. It may buffer him a bit, but he's still in there.

It's not just about carrying a spare - I have two iPods (a first gen and a video) that are in otherwise great shape but no longer hold a battery charge for more than a half hour. They both have built-in batteries that I can't replace on my own. Makes them useless as portables.

The Pre has a center button that I never even touch anymore - because Palm has given me several other (and better) ways for interfacing with the device.

My advice would be that you get your information about the Pre from using one, owning one, or from friends who do - not from strangers on the internet, me included.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I switched from iPhone 3G to Pre. AT&T is of course a joke, but I think Sprint is amazing when compared to ANY wireless carrier. So far I've had VZW, AT&T, and Sprint. The phone itself holds up very well when compared to the iPhone. I was actually a pretty hard core fanboy for about a year but the Pre does a great job at impressing you. One gripe, which most people seem to have is the battery. It does seem to not last as long as the iPhones battery but then again it could be a placebo effect. Regardless I'm used to charging my phone every night and it's something I've been doing for years and years. The Pre's battery can make it through the entire day for me.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I agree with Peestandingup - The iphone is a great device, and my only reason for going to the 3g after the 2g was to make up for a horrible att network to begin with. You think att is bad with 3g, try it with the old edge.

I have been in the Sprint store playing with the Pre, and I can say that with the help from the great posts on this site, the Pre will be my next phone come October.

Everyone cries about the apps, but the ones you NEED are out or will be soon. I say need, because if you looked at my 3g now, you would see a crap load of apps that I have for no other reason than to have them. "ZIPPO" c'mon what the hell do I have that for - LOL

The Pre is revolutionary with its OS. The only thing I will miss is the visual voicemail. That is truly a fantastic attribute of the iphone. However, when you measure in the Sprint network, OS, and the hardware (like a pebble) it is simple for me. The multimedia is cool, but how much do I use it. And with the inability to return the iphone to anyone but an Apple dealer, I had to buy a nano for working out. I usually have 1 or 2 movies on my 3g in case of long travel, but how often do you set down and watch a 2 hour movie on your phone. Another great idea, but not very practical. But to help you decide, the great thing is that both phones offer it.

Good luck bro, look for my posts on my PRe happiness in October (16th).

**Hey Pee, does Apple have a patent on the Visual Voicemail, or could we possibly see Sprint and the Pre picking it up in an app perhaps?
    if you go with the 450 everything plan the only time you get charged min. is when you call voicemail or landlines yippy ...... im down to 75 dollars a month wow sweet i think thats worth it even if the pre is still a growing boy lol, hes only what 4 months old now ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I just switch from my Iphone 3G to a palm pre and I must say I love this phone. I loved my Iphone but I refuse to keep paying att $150+plus tax about 175 for ****ty service(Detroit) and they restrict every app that involves streaming across their network. For the most part Sprint is very open about their network use and doesn't mind the streaming. Also with the new 69.99 dollar plans and my corp discount I save over 100 dollars a month by switching to the Pre. Im not going back to ATT.(Ever)!!!
    hey troll go to the iphone forum and get a longer lasting battery for that iphone you got or want or whatever lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    But time will tell.
    SORT IT OUT PALM!!!!
    hey troll go to the iphone forum and get a longer lasting battery for that iphone you got or want or whatever lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    How many of these issues do you have with your Pre?
    How many of those issues have YOU had with YOUR pre? Oh let me guess, you're going to tell me its been flawless, and that all those well documented problems on the pre from scores of pre owners who had multiple returns were all just fabricated lies based on troll agendas, right Gturkey?
    I have an Airave and it works really well. We had only 0-1 bars in the house before we got it. Now we have a consistently 4-5 bars all the time. It sure did the trick for us.
    We used the GPS last weekend and it was great. I wish it was a little louder but if you use corded headphones, you will be able to hear the voice through them.
    I don't put any music (or very little) or pictures (still very few) on my Pre. I have added a few apps and even after doing all that I still have 7GB left. The texting is great and the email comes up when you want it (when it is received or up to 6 hours after.) I guess it saves your battery if you don't have it coming up as it is received.

You can watch TV shows in landscape which is really cool.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    I owned an iphone 3g and now the pre.
    Generally, I am happy with my decision aside from the apps on iphone.
    Switching to pre, one thing you will definitely miss is all the cool apps on iphone, in terms of both quality and quantity. Saying that, pre do have a much better os. Multitasking, gestures and cloud architectures are the keys.
    Taking all of these into consideration, if you are owning an iphone 3gs now, I would not recommend this migration. Frankly, 3gs is the best version of iphone so far, from battery life to system response, 3gs is much better than its previous versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    How many of those issues have YOU had with YOUR pre? Oh let me guess, you're going to tell me its been flawless, and that all those well documented problems on the pre from scores of pre owners who had multiple returns were all just fabricated lies based on troll agendas, right Gturkey?
    You didn't answer my question because you don't own one a Pre and realize how pitiful it is that you're a fanboi troll and are only here repeating back half (the negatve) of what you hear. You're a parrot, and not even good at it.

You have zero productive input to add to either side of any conversation and no interest here other than promoting you iPhone.

And yet, you don't appear to be bright enough to realize your house is made of glass.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast