Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It was tough at first. When your in iphone land everything flows andanything you could want on a phone is within a store away. But the bill was too much. And when the whole google voice fiasco started i was on the first ship to jump. My life have been tied down with grand central since 2007 & then google voice. Switched to the android platform loved the seamlss gvoice integration but overall missed the easthetics of the iphone.

So I jumped on the webos platform and I DONT REGRET IT. The multi tasking is not missed until you actually use it for a day or two then you wonder how you managed without it. When you look back at the iphone you really start to see how advanced webos is compared to the iphones os.

The pre while small i a true all around multi touch device. The iphone depends on buttons to handle certain tasks.

You will not regret it. My bill with att use to be 134.65 and now I pay 63.12 with unlimited everything. (navigation,tv,data,mobile to mobile & with google voice and pick 3 unlimited calling to anyone)

Sprint have a bad rep but they have proven to me they are 10000x better in everything when compared to att.

Was with ATT for 15 years. (bellsouth,cingular,att) Im 29 and Icant believe istayed that long with such a sorry excuse for a company.

Sprint is totally worth it.
    I just ordered my Pre from wirefly.com.
    I had a 1st gen iphone, and a iphone 3G.
    I loved them.
    I really disliked AT&T for 2 reasons. Cost, and availability in my apartment.
    2-3 months ago I sold my iphone 3g and moved to verizon with a Blackberry Curve.
    Pretty good email, terrible HTML capability, and the browser was just useless.
    I switched to an LG ENV Touch. Better browser. Worse email. Not really a 'smart phone' And very annoying text message interface.
    I'd been eyeing the Pre, but had concerns over quality that I kept hearing people complain about.

Then sprint comes out with their Any Mobile Anytime plan. I'm sold. It means I'll be paying another early termination fee just 3 months after I paid AT&T's, but it's worth it for how much I'll save.

I was originally looking at the blackberry tour which I could get for $100 from bestbuy. I even went to buy it this morning.
    However, last night they raised the price to $199.99, so I hesitated.
    Then I saw the pre for $100 at wirefly.com (no rebates) and started looking in to it again. Looks like they're working on the quality issues, and sprint seems to be responsive to issues with handsets. So I ordered it. Even got a free BlueTrek bluetooth headset with a coupon.

I agree with peestandingup above. The biggest thing the iPhone has going for it is the apps. That's my main concern with the Pre; App availability. The iphone has tons of apps available. There were some 'obscure' apps on the iphone I used that aren't available on the pre, and the developers right now don't plan on making them available either. Things like Amateur Radio applications or a couple of Flight Computers.

I miss my iphone, but do NOT miss AT&T... We'll see how I feel about the pre when I've had it for a couple of days. I should get it Friday.
  3.    #23  
    I get a discount where I work through all carriers. It looks like it would be around $99 for 2 phones on unlimited data and 1500 minutes. I pay that for the iPhone by itself for the most part.

Do any of you use sprint tv and how is nav?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dave View Post
    I just ordered my Pre from wirefly.com.
    I had a 1st gen iphone, and a iphone 3G.
    I loved them.
    I really disliked AT&T for 2 reasons. Cost, and availability in my apartment.
    2-3 months ago I sold my iphone 3g and moved to verizon with a Blackberry Curve.
    Pretty good email, terrible HTML capability, and the browser was just useless.
    I switched to an LG ENV Touch. Better browser. Worse email. Not really a 'smart phone' And very annoying text message interface.
    I'd been eyeing the Pre, but had concerns over quality that I kept hearing people complain about.

Then sprint comes out with their Any Mobile Anytime plan. I'm sold. It means I'll be paying another early termination fee just 3 months after I paid AT&T's, but it's worth it for how much I'll save.

I was originally looking at the blackberry tour which I could get for $100 from bestbuy. I even went to buy it this morning.
    However, last night they raised the price to $199.99, so I hesitated.
    Then I saw the pre for $100 at wirefly.com (no rebates) and started looking in to it again. Looks like they're working on the quality issues, and sprint seems to be responsive to issues with handsets. So I ordered it. Even got a free BlueTrek bluetooth headset with a coupon.

I agree with peestandingup above. The biggest thing the iPhone has going for it is the apps. That's my main concern with the Pre; App availability. The iphone has tons of apps available. There were some 'obscure' apps on the iphone I used that aren't available on the pre, and the developers right now don't plan on making them available either. Things like Amateur Radio applications or a couple of Flight Computers.

I miss my iphone, but do NOT miss AT&T... We'll see how I feel about the pre when I've had it for a couple of days. I should get it Friday.
    Be sure to let me know what you think. I plan to wait until the pixi is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I get a discount where I work through all carriers. It looks like it would be around $99 for 2 phones on unlimited data and 1500 minutes. I pay that for the iPhone by itself for the most part.

Do any of you use sprint tv and how is nav?
    Yes I use both. I use tv to play the disney channel to my 2 year old son. he loves mickey mouse playhouse so when on the road I play that for him.

And ihave used navigation numerous times. Love how it alerts you of traffic live and gives you shortcuts.
    What do you mean by lag?
    The iPhone and its OS do not have lag while switching between applications. Lets say your using your home screen swapping between pages, the Pre exhibits a delay lag while doing this.

Multitasking is awesome, but WebOS's memory management has some catching up to do. The lag becomes more apparent when using multiple applications at once.

The Pre is a good phone, but be prepared to have a iPhone 1.0 back in your hand. (Bugs and No Apps) The upside is multitasking and Sprint.
  7.    #27  
    I appreciate all the help. This should def help me decide what to do. Once we get the pixi I may be headed over to get a Pre and Pixi.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Aside from the obvious differences, like the app store, powerful games, compass etc. on the iPhone and included navigation, physical keyboard, shakier hardware etc. on the Pre, I'll venture a bit on the experience.

I had a 3GS for a few days and returned it before the 30 days were over. With all the apps it felt like an OS capable of multi tasking, but not designed for it. Any real use required constantly hitting the home button and switching the entire context. Pop ups as the only interprocess communication quickly got old. The inability to run apps in the background is more of a pain than you would think. The games were way better. Music app was better. Free apps, other than some games, are about the same or worse in quality on the Pre. It was bigger and hardly pocketable. Network and call quality was spotty. Battery life is just as bad.

I'm not going back anytime soon.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitkishore View Post
    Aside from the obvious differences, like the app store, powerful games, compass etc. on the iPhone and included navigation, physical keyboard, shakier hardware etc. on the Pre, I'll venture a bit on the experience.

I had a 3GS for a few days and returned it before the 30 days were over. With all the apps it felt like an OS capable of multi tasking, but not designed for it. Any real use required constantly hitting the home button and switching the entire context. Pop ups as the only interprocess communication quickly got old. The inability to run apps in the background is more of a pain than you would think. The games were way better. Music app was better. Free apps, other than some games, are about the same or worse in quality on the Pre. It was bigger and hardly pocketable. Network and call quality was spotty. Battery life is just as bad.

I'm not going back anytime soon.
    SO what you are saying is that the Pre & 3GS have about the same battery lifE?
    The calendar app and email are excellent on the pre. Just excellent. I really do prefer everything syncing up to google, because it means I can get all my e-mail and calendar anywhere I am, even if I don't have my Pre.

Via the homebrew you can get a virtual keyboard on the pre too. So you can have the best of both worlds. A quick virtual keyboard when you need to enter a small amount of data or a nice physical keyboard when you need to write out a longer e-mail.

I will add one more thing. I have had a tremendous amount of fun watching the pre grow and gain more features and apps through homebrew.
    I agree on the comment about the having to hit the home button being a retarded way of working... I mean anytime you wanted to do ANYTHING outside of the app you were in you had to go through the homescreen. That was definitely my BIGGEST pet peeve with the iPhone. Especially when switching on and off WiFi or 3G (to save battery coincidentally).
    Right now Pre battery life is kind of a mystery. There are a few people on precentral who have posted data that they can use their phone for 5 hours and only loose like 20%. I haven't had such luck. However, I have the 1350 Seidio battery and I can sleep for 8 hours and leave my phone idle and only loose 20%. So with decent signal and wifi off, I can idle the phone for 40 hours. Not bad imo.

In a typical day, with signal ranging from nonexistent to max in the building I work in, my phone will start to get lowish (20% range) around 5 pm. I start work normally @ 8 and have the pre off the touchstone at 7:30. I mostly use it for e-mail, light browsing, music and text twist when I am bored. So getting 12 hours out of the phone is quite normal for me.

However, I carry around a spare palm charger (you can get them for $12-20 depending on where you look) and in about 2 hours can fully charge the phone.

What I would do is get a touchstone for work and just drop the phone there when you are not using it. It will keep it nicely charged for you.

However, if you are on the road constantly, away from a wall socket or cig-lighter, you might find a few issues.
    The biggest issue for me on the pre has to be the battert. I use my phone extensively. Throughout the day I am on the internet txting phone calls email pandora navigation, I use it all. Battery sucks on the pre. I just got the seidos 1350 today and will be comparing it.I highly recommend another battery. The navigation multitasking and of course sprint is awesome. Aside from the battery I recommend the phone. I use an iphone for work and I still prefer my pre. Apps will come so I'm not too worried about that. Pre all the way for me over my iphone but I wish the battery lasted a lot longer. I always carry a charger.
  14.    #34  
    that is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for all the info. How much is the seido battery and does it add to the size of the phone and can you still use the touchstone with it?
    In my experience having used both phones extensively they both get about the same battery life. And yes, the battery life on both is terrible. With average use either phone was running on fumes before lunch time.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    that is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for all the info. How much is the seido battery and does it add to the size of the phone and can you still use the touchstone with it?
    The standard pre battery is 1150mAh.

The 2 Seidio batteries that I know of have 1350 mAh and 2600 mAh. The 1350mAh is the standard size and will work with the touchstone back cover. The 2600mAh has a custom back and is not touchstone compatible, but from what I have heard lasts forever.

As far as prices go Precentral has the best Touchstone prices I have seen. If amazon has them in stock you can get a stock pre battery for $25 and the 1350mAh for $36.

One note with the battery life, is installing and deleting programs seems to drain the battery very fast.

Also, as a side note, much improved music players are waiting in the wings to be released into the App Catalog. But in the mean time DanPLC's Music Player Remix is quite awesome and has a lot of the functionality that palms built in player lacks. I actually think it has some features that the Ipod player doesn't have. As far as I know, the iPod player can't look up song lyrics and play at the same time.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Different angle, the money you save going with sprint should save you a minimum of $40 a month (mines $60 a month) the money you save per year can buy you the latest phone every year.

No brainer for me.
    Not only that, if you have a Pre you get on Sprint Premier, so you can get a new phone at the subsidized price every year, as long as you extend your contract for another 2 years from that date. That isn't as bad as it sounds though, because the ETF after one year is only $80.

I just got my Pre in the mail today and have been really happy with it for the past few hours. I was getting kidna worried due to all the whining that sometimes goes on on this site, but it really is a very very nice phone.
    "ETF after one year is only $80"

Really? I thought it was $200 no matter what. I understand you can change your plan now with Sprint without renewing your contract.

Hope your right!

I found this after my post...

Early Termination Fee
    Glad everyone is enjoying their new pres.

Here are a couple of things to assess before the 30 day return window has closed:

1) Reception / signal strength: does your pre receive signal as well as your old phone in the same places? Does it switch from evdo to roaming and back or to no service at all?

2) Is there light leakage or dead pixels on screen?

3) Lag when using PIM apps like calendar, memos, etc. can you tolerate the 2 second lag when switching into and out of calendar?

4) Can you deal with the short battery life?

5)Are you comfortable with the keyboard?

6) Do you have the oreo effect? (loose slider mechanism?)

7) Watch for cracks in the screen after light use.

8) Watch the excessive heat during charging. this is worrisome to many.

9) Do you need or miss the 5 way navpad?

10) Beware of multiple returns. Many have reported that after 3-4 swaps for pres which are flawed, the stores may sometimes refuse to replace your phone and blame YOU for being rough on the pre when in all likelihood the hardware weaknesses are the roots of the problem.

11) Do you need or miss the iphone apps?

There may be other issues to consider but these are among my top issues with the phone.

If you find none of these are problems to you, congratulations and enjoy the new experience.
    I had the 3GS. Pre + new iPod Touch is a good combo.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast