webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Are the blue dots on the black screen dead pixels??
Are the blue dots on the black screen dead pixels??

Old 09/15/2009, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Are the tiny blue dots that are visible only on the black screen (palm boot, or shutdown,restart modes) dead pixels or is that normal?? They are faint and sometimes hard to see unless its dark low lighing.... any thoughts???
hawaiijedi#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most likely yes. Especially if you can see them on the boot screen. They really show when pandora opens up too.
THETRUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I believe they are called lit or stuck pixels. I have one on my pre. it doesnt really bother me too much. There are these youtube videos that claim they can fix lit pixels. However i think they are BS. I tried it it didnt work. However see for yourself YouTube - fix pixels
emikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

its strange how you only can see them on the boot screens
Old 09/15/2009, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have 2 that I've noticed. A 'lit' pixel near the bottom when the screen is black, most noticeable during bootup and on the lock screen. And a 'stuck' pixel near the center. It shows as blue on a white background, black on a red background, and not at all on a black background.
Spyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

i only see a few blue pixels during boot up or reset
Old 09/15/2009, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

are you sure you aren't looking at the touch grid?

can you see these dots when the screen is off? or are they only visible when the screen is on, just black?

go to device info, scroll down to more info, then tap on the menu, and click interactive tests.there is a screen test, which will go through all of the colors, and that shoudl help you decide if it is indeed a stuck pixel you are seeing.
pomokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2009, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

its not the touch screen...i did the tests all good only on the black screen is when the blue pixels are visible
Old 09/15/2009, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

well, that's super strange, haha.. i guess don't worry about it, since it's not present during normal use.

could you maybe try and take a picture though? maybe there are blue dots that show up on everyone's pre while booting.

oh, could you try looking at a black web page, or black photo, and see if you see the blue dots there also?
pomokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

only faintly present when black web page or boot ups im probably just an ***** being too nit picky with my phone like the faint hairline scratches that appeared out if nowhere on my screen that are hard too see when display is on
Old 09/16/2009, 01:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Does the touch grid show up when the screen is off, or when the screen is on? I've noticed these dots that are perfectly align across the entire screen and then there are lines interconnecting them. Pretty sure that is the grid, but sometimes I see those dots when the screen is on, perfectly spaced from each other and everything.
NightoftheWolfeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/2009, 01:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emikey View Post
I believe they are called lit or stuck pixels. I have one on my pre. it doesnt really bother me too much. There are these youtube videos that claim they can fix lit pixels. However i think they are BS. I tried it it didnt work. However see for yourself YouTube - fix pixels
You are exactly correct. These are stuck pixels, not dead pixels. Not that there's huge difference. Dead means it won't come on, stuck means it won't shut off.

As far as the repairs, there are two different ways to repair them, and both 'can' work.

One method is some very careful display hacking to force the stuck pixels to turn off and stay off. Essentially turning a stuck pixel into a dead pixel with is generally less of a problem.

The other method (which has several variations) has to do with physically poking, prodding, etc on your screen with the hope of shifting the materials of the display and unsticking the pixel. It 'can' work if you do it right, but you run a high risk of destroying your display. Also, there's absolutely no way to do it on the Pre because there's a touch surface between you and the actual screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiijedi View Post
its strange how you only can see them on the boot screens
That's actually very normal. White screens always show dead pixels because a dead pixel is always out, and white means all the pixels are on full power.

A black screen always shows stuck pixels because a stuck pixel is always on, and a black screen means all the pixels completely off. I'm sure that if the OP looked at a black full screen image, he'd be able to see it. You can tell whether the stuck pixel is a red, green or blue pixel, or a cluster of pixels based on the color it appears as on a black screen. i.e. a stuck pixel that shows green is just the green pixel, purple means it's the red and blue pixels of a triplet that are stuck, a white spot means that an entire pixel triplet is stuck.

For anything between black and white, whether or not you can see a stuck pixel depends on whether it is a red, green or blue pixel that's stuck, and how bright that particular pixel 'should' be for the color being displayed.
VeeDubb65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0