1.    #1  
    I like the new games out, and I'm cool with the ad-sponsored stuff. HOWEVER, consider this your warning.

Unless you're actively playing the game, DON'T leave it running!

I started up the poker app and played for a bit, then "minimized" it. A few hours later, I dropped 40% in battery! Holy moly!!

I'm assuming it's the ads, constantly hitting the net and draining down. Perhaps there should be a way to determine if the app was "cardified" and STOP processing (I'm assuming there's an API call for that, and these guys chose not to use it; perhaps to get more "hits").

Poker killed me, but Spades and Bubbles are the same thing...
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I spent a couple of hours in my wife's office building today. Signal strength varied between slim and none. Drained my battery to 50% in just those couple of hours. Luckily when I returned to my office, I had my handy dandy TS on my desk!
    Last edited by wodin; 09/15/2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo
    I paused Pandora for about 40 minutes, my battery was REALLY hot and lost about 45%. Don't leave apps running would be my advice.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    The other day I had GPS going, and Pandora while in the car. I have the battery percentage tweak on the phone, and I could watch the percentage dropping every few seconds.....
    Pandora, GPS, Google Maps, drPodder will all kill your battery if you leave them running, even if paused.
    Opperating your Pre as intended will kill your battery. Still, ever since Palm gave me a new battery, I make it to the end of the day with 40+ percent left.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yeah I'm really curious if there's an API call to stop processes when something is not the active card. On my Blackberry I could keep Pandora in the background paused without any noticeable battery drain. I don't see why the same isn't possible for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I think there's generally a bug in the music player APIs that Pandora and
    Shoutcast and such are based on. All the music players will suck
    your battery dry even when they're left idle.

As for other apps. Some do, some don't. Don't leave Google Maps
    + GPS idling, for instance. But without GPS, haven't noticed any real problem.

Weather radar. Insta-suck.

Many other apps are fine. Just gotta keep track of em.

ian
    There definitely is an API call to notice the app is "not Active" anymore.

You can use either "isActiveAndHasScene" or I ASSUME "topScene" could also be used... to some variation...

Either way, there definitely is a way. I just don't like how Palm has such stringent requirements for app developers about memory leaks and proper resource management and whatnot, and they don't bother policing the apps they already decided to release.

*sigh*
    Yeah it's the deactivate method: Called each time the scene is no longer the top scene on the stack (when it's popped, or when another scene is pushed on top). In the case where the scene is being popped, this is called before the off-stage transition begins.

Launch Cycle – webOSdev – Palm
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Are the apps just not bothering with these calls or is there a bug? It would seem like having applications "paused" in the background cards should have a pretty negligible effect on battery life. Yet that's very obviously not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by urlmaker View Post
    I paused Pandora for about 40 minutes, my battery was REALLY hot and lost about 45%. Don't leave apps running would be my advice.
    and the battery is like really hot. I hate when that happens. I do that at work sometimes leaving Pandora on ;[
    leaving apps running in dashboard (brightness unlinked and txt mgr) also rapid saps battery power (which sux coz brightness unlinked is a necessity)
    Leaving a web card open on a page that auto-refreshes will keep a constant connection, draining the battery quickly also.

I was on ebay looking at an auction that ended later that day. A little time later, I pick up the phone and wondered why it was warm. Turn on the phone and see that it was on the ebay page with the auction counter running down.

Yahoo also has auto-refreshes pages for some of their live sports game.
    i find using my Pre kills the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Opperating your Pre as intended will kill your battery. Still, ever since Palm gave me a new battery, I make it to the end of the day with 40+ percent left.
    Me too, I have had mine off the charger since 7 am and only lost 3%. Though I don't know if it counts yet I just installed it last night and have one charge on it.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Pandora, GPS, Google Maps, drPodder will all kill your battery if you leave them running, even if paused.
    To elaborate on this: Pandora, drPodder, and the built-in streaming music player will all DEVOUR battery if left paused while streaming. I clocked it at around 35% per hour. As long as you don't pause a stream, you're fine.

So, for instance in drPodder: swipe back when you are done for a while instead of pausing a streaming episode (since drPodder bookmarks your position). Or, download the episode, then you can leave it paused with no ill effects.

I need to work up an example of this and send it to Palm, they've been very responsive on other bugs that I have sent them clear test cases for.