1.    #1  
    Hi all. I was going to post this in the Homebrew section, but it won't let me post there for some reason.

I'm DYING for an SSH client app and an RDP app. Anyone working on either of those (especially SSH)??
    if you root the phone you can in theory (and probably practice) install and use a SSH client

theres also a VNC (of sorts) client/server app out there
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    You should put that in your thread title. "Looking for..." is kind of a waste
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    You should put that in your thread title. "Looking for..." is kind of a waste
    Fixed.

When you see a thread with a name like this, please report it and we will correct the title.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    i'd love an RDP app also. i mean, VNC is okay, but RDP is usually much faster, especially over limited connections. also i really love the ability of RDP to change the resolution to wahtever you want
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Fixed.

When you see a thread with a name like this, please report it and we will correct the title.

- Craig
    Sorry! My apologies. Shame on me.
    it's old but i'm bumping. need rdp, vnc viewer (to view real/ultra/tight vnc server clients) and an SSH/Telnet client someone can port putty can't they?
    Install the Terminal app from preware and install dropbear if you haven't already. In addition to remote shell access to your Pre, you'll then be able to type "ssh username@hostname" in Terminal and it'll work great. I use it literally every day.

As far as VNC or RDP go, I still haven't seen anything. Someone came up with a fake-VNC app that requires a Windows host, but I don't run Windows so I haven't tried it and can't remember its name. I guess you could buy the Classic emulator and use the old Palm VNC program, tunneling ports from the command line like "ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 username@hostname" and then connecting to localhost:0 in the VNC viewer in your Classic section. But I haven't tried that either. Some people have had success with a non-tunneled connection on this thread: (I can't post links yet so search for question-issue-palm-vnc)
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog469 View Post
    Install the Terminal app from preware and install dropbear if you haven't already. In addition to remote shell access to your Pre, you'll then be able to type "ssh username@hostname" in Terminal and it'll work great. I use it literally every day.
    I am considering getting a Pre (or maybe an android phone, not sure), and I would really appreciate if you could please elaborate just a little, as SSH client ability is crucial for me.

So, you install dropbear, and from that point on the PRE I can open a terminal window that's a local terminal on the phone, where I can then ssh outbound just like if I were at a Linux prompt, right?

Also, does it appear to be 80 columns, and does the emulation seem to work OK (just uparrows for prior commands, left arrow to edit, simple things like that). Also, dumb question, but are the symbols like the PIPE ("|") available in this terminal, or on the Pre at all?

I REALLY REALLY appreciate if you (or someone) would be able to answer these questions, I did try searching for these answers but maybe my searching ability is weak and I really want a new phone (currently have 700wx).

THANK YOU.
    Bump, hoping someone wants to answer this. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    There is a terminal app you can install. It gets you to a real linux terminal, but be warned, it is advertised as alpha quality and the quotes in the documentation says something like "it's lucky this works at all".

The choice of fonts is quite limited (tiny!). Nevertheless, I'm extremely grateful the app is available because it's extremely useful in a pinch.

Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals