Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I decided to start adding music to my Pre today, then I noticed that the actual size of the drive is 6.68GB. Where's the rest? Has anyone else noticed this?
    The OS is the rest
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The rest is devoted to WebOS. Nothing new here.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Just like any other system, some is taken up by OS. Nothing new.
    Every operating system except Mac OS X Snow Leopard calculates gigabytes as gibibytes. 1 Gibibyte = 1,024 mb so it displays the capacity as lower than the advertised amount. If you plug the phone into a Mac running Snow Leopard, it would say the capacity is 7.18 GB. The rest is used up by system files as everyone else said.
    What you need to do is convert ur MP3s to 128 to reduce the size. I have about 1268 mp3s on my pre with over 2gigs remaining for pics and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    Every operating system except Mac OS X Snow Leopard calculates gigabytes as gibibytes. 1 Gibibyte = 1,024 mb so it displays the capacity as lower than the advertised amount. If you plug the phone into a Mac running Snow Leopard, it would say the capacity is 7.18 GB. The rest is used up by system files as everyone else said.
    See, this is why I miss Bill Nye the Science Guy....
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    That's what I figured and felt stupid by asking. The reason that motivated my question was that I saw other threads were people stated they had 7GB free, claiming 1GB (on music alone) on their Pre's, which seems impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    What you need to do is convert ur MP3s to 128 to reduce the size. I have about 1268 mp3s on my pre with over 2gigs remaining for pics and apps.
    Does this do anything to the quality of the music? And whats the best program to do this?
    Philadelphia, murder capital of the world
    mb=megabits
    GB=2^30 Bytes
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Does this do anything to the quality of the music? And whats the best program to do this?

Most people claim not to hear the difference. As an audiophile I can definitely tell you that the quality is significantly reduced. I don't recommend it unless you don't really care about quality as much as quantity.

If you're using itunes you can simply go to preferences and change the bit rate to 128. Then select the files you want to convert, right click (PC) and create MP3 version. It will now create a new version of it with the select bit rate.

You can also change it using Audacity - audacity.sourceforge.net/ - by simply importing the file and exporting as a 128 mp3.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post

Most people claim not to hear the difference. As an audiophile I can definitely tell you that the quality is significantly reduced. I don't recommend it unless you don't really care about quality as much as quantity.

I would like to point out, that 128kb for mp3 is the highest quality you can tell the difference with over most headphones.

As an audiophile, you probably invested in some relatively expensive and very high quality headphones.

My general rule of thumb, is that if you spent less than $80-$100 on the headphones, there's no reason to go over 128kb for the audio files. And, if you're just using the free earbuds that came with your Pre, or the free earbuds that come with an ipod or anything else, you may as well drop down to 64kb because putting great music through crappy headphones is kind of pointless.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The difference has two reasons, first the OS takes some space. But, even if there was no OS, it still would be less than 8GB, nearly all storage media advertises their capacity using the metric scale, so 1000 bytes is 1 KB, 1000 KB is one MB and so on. But since computers read in binary, everything is in powers of 2, so 1024 bytes is 1 KB, 1024 KB is 1 MB. The difference adds up my 1TB hard drive is actually only 931 GB instead of 1024.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I would like to point out, that 128kb for mp3 is the highest quality you can tell the difference with over most headphones.

Like I said, most people can't tell the difference. And yes, I do use high quality headphones.

Like I said, most people can't tell the difference. And yes, I do use high quality headphones.
    Honestly, I find that even with cheap headphones, AKA under $100 you can tell the quality between 128 and 256, not so much higher then that.

But what can I say, I make my own headphone amps :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    What you need to do is convert ur MP3s to 128 to reduce the size.
    that is not sage advice... mp3 is already loss-less... converting them again will make them sound even worse... this of course only matters if you want your music to sound good
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I'm a 3rd year computer science student, how the hell had I never heard about this? I was ready to call BS on you until I looked it up. Man, my school sucks.
    Mine says 7.1 G free
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Mine says 7.1 G free

How? Have you not uploaded anything?
    Mine says 7.1 G free

How? Have you not uploaded anything?
    How volume sizes are reported is 100% OS dependant. The Pre has the same size storage as any other 8GB device or media card.

OS's that use the same formula to calculate the size of a volume that the people selling them do, will report ~7.1

OS's that use 1024 bites to a KB, 1024KB to the MB, and 1024MB to the GB will show ~6.7 GB.

The amount of room taken up by the OS shouldn't be much larger than a few hundred MB at most.

If you want to know the exact size, just unzip a webOSDoctor.jar file.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast