1.    #1  
    i dont want any negative side effects from cusomizeing my pre will i get any?
    You will need to undo anything you have done to your Pre before changing anything with the Pre's code.

Installing Homebrew apps will not be an issue, but using the tweaks found in the WebOs quick install might cause problems when the updates come.

You alone can decide if it is worth it to mod your Pre knowing that you will have to undo what you have done on a regular basis.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    like when Palm releases OS updates?

If you d/l homebrew apps, you shouldn't have a problem. It's usually when you root, make tweaks or install patches that sometimes things break.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    like when Palm releases OS updates?

If you d/l homebrew apps, you shouldn't have a problem. It's usually when you root, make tweaks or install patches that sometimes things break.
    Sorry for the noob question, but, if i used web os quickinstall to get filecoaster, would i have to remove that from my phone?

If so, do i simply delete the filecoaster applictaion on my pre, or do i have to connect it to my comp and remove something??

Thanks In Advance!
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    I used quick installer to get filecoaster and preware, and I've not yet had a problem when updating my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewey33 View Post
    i dont want any negative side effects from cusomizeing my pre will i get any?
    It all really depends on what modifications you do. For instance, if you just change the background screens, that won't have any negative effect, and is just a matter of reselecting your background screen after an update.

If you get a little fancier, such as modifying the phone background, connection icons, etc, those will not have negative effects; but updates will over-write the custom changes you've made.

If you've gone in and modified javascript and/or html files for the core applications; you should undo those changes before applying updates. That's really just to be on the safe side. Updates so far have simply over-wrtten existing files, but that cannot be guaranteed for the future.

BTW Kudos on using a more descriptive title on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by danman_6 View Post
    Sorry for the noob question, but, if i used web os quickinstall to get filecoaster, would i have to remove that from my phone?

If so, do i simply delete the filecoaster applictaion on my pre, or do i have to connect it to my comp and remove something??

Thanks In Advance!
    No. That's a homebrew app. You don't have to remove them.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You will need to undo anything you have done to your Pre before changing anything with the Pre's code.

Installing Homebrew apps will not be an issue, but using the tweaks found in the WebOs quick install might cause problems when the updates come.

You alone can decide if it is worth it to mod your Pre knowing that you will have to undo what you have done on a regular basis.
    Okay, so the answer here may be obvious, but here goes. Is undoing / uninstalling tweaks and mods as simple as unchecking the box in the tweaks tool page of WebOS Quick Install? Adding the tweaks is that easy. So is uninstalling just as much a no-brainer?

Thanks for all the great info!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post
    Okay, so the answer here may be obvious, but here goes. Is undoing / uninstalling tweaks and mods as simple as unchecking the box in the tweaks tool page of WebOS Quick Install? Adding the tweaks is that easy. So is uninstalling just as much a no-brainer?

You are correct m8, it's just that easy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrei View Post

Now it is that easy, thanks to yesterday's update to the WebOs quick install. When this thread was started, you still had to access Linux commands to theme your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Now it is that easy, thanks to yesterday's update to the WebOs quick install. When this thread was started, you still had to access Linux commands to theme your Pre
    Hu???

Yesturday's update just added a lot more tweaks than older versions. You could always just check & un check the tweaks you add, aleast the ones you installed using Quick Install.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SouthPhilly View Post
    Hu???

Yesturday's update just added a lot more tweaks than older versions. You could always just check & un check the tweaks you add, aleast the ones you installed using Quick Install.
    Sorry, in my mind I thought the OP was talking about mod-ing the Pre. Mod-ing to me is personalization or themes, which, until yesterday required "rooting" your Pre.

Your are correct about the other tweaks being undone quickly and painlessly, which is why I thanked mjrei for the clarification. It looks like we are on the same page. Thanks for your input.