Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    How do you do that?

Since I use to use the Palm Desktop for all my contacts I exported them to Google contacts. Google Gmail/Contacts constantly updates the Pre and visa versa.

Now Gmail (just noticed it today) has has "import mail and contacts" at the top right of the page next to settings to make it even easier.

All of my contacts on my Pre are also on any computer I access Gmail with.
    From what I can tell (at least according to palm.com) they do not have a palm desktop that is support for the pre.

Palm Desktop 6.2
    works with: Palm Centro; Treo 755p , 700p, 680, 650; Palm TX, Z22; Tungsten E2
    I don't use palm Desktop with the Pre, I did however use it with my Treo 650. before I bought the Pre I exported all the Palm Desktop information (contacts) to Gmail. Now Gmail (Gmail contacts) takes the place of my Palm Desktop and it syncs automatically and it is in the "cloud".
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Yep, transferring them is not possible (or at least not feasible for most folks), and I try to let everyone possible know that Google is a *much* better option than Palm Profile.

But it is fairly easy to make a backup of your entire Contacts database. If you put WebOS Quick Install on your PC and ask it to copy the file /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3, you will have a copy of your Contacts (and events, account credentials, and call logs according to the WebOS Internals web site). It's difficult to do much with them, but as a last resort you could copy it back to a new Pre and I suspect you would recover your data.
    Actually, the webos-internals wiki has a how-to on extracting the info from PalmDatabase.db3 and turning it into something that can be transfered to google..
    honestly,while I would like a more robust backup that keeps the launcher page setup, all my settings,etc.,I have had some very positive experiences with backup. I have replaced my Pre twice and did a Full reset twice, and all times my Palm Profile contacts and calendae synced, and all my Memos came over,too. I don't use tasks so that's not an issue for me, but I have been happy with Palm Backup!

I can't wait to see how the 1.3.1 yahoo contact sync works (does it also bring in all contacts like gmail, or just your contacts?), but so far the Palm Profile has worked for me
    being a first time Palm customer, they are giving me a horrible impression to be honest.

the contatcs thing happened with me, and I was pretty ****ed. It took them 3 months to just call me back to inform me my contacts could not be restored.

not to mention I had to return the phone 4 times to get a decent phone model. This is beyond bad for me, I like the phone, love the community but Palm stinks overall from my experiences with them. From a first time Palm user, not looking like I'd ever use their product in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    honestly,while I would like a more robust backup that keeps the launcher page setup, all my settings,etc.,I have had some very positive experiences with backup. I have replaced my Pre twice and did a Full reset twice, and all times my Palm Profile contacts and calendae synced, and all my Memos came over,too. I don't use tasks so that's not an issue for me, but I have been happy with Palm Backup!

I can't wait to see how the 1.3.1 yahoo contact sync works (does it also bring in all contacts like gmail, or just your contacts?), but so far the Palm Profile has worked for me
    I've also done it twice and I had the same positive experience. No problems whatsoever. However, a friend of mine just had her Pre replaced and she didn't get her contacts from the cloud... not sure why. She's fairly new to it so she's going to take her older phone with her to Sprint and ask them to port the numbers over to her Pre and this time, she has Google as her default profile (it was Palm previously) so she'll have a 2nd reliable backup for contacts.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
    Gotta say, Palm needs to figure out how to sync task and notes.
    I need a to be able to sync directly to Outlook (calendar, contacts, tasks and notes). All the PIMs and no cloud. This is critical for me.

This is why I am seriously considering jumping to the BB Storm2.
    Been using a Palm device since 1996.

Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 11/14/2009 at 01:46 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Do you use Gmail for mail? I'm toying with the idea of just entering all my notes as mails to myself and creating a Notes folder/tag on gmail to file them under... problem solved.
    That's a pretty decent idea. Memos are very important for me...
    This may be why everyone is having issues getting their Contact/Calendar/Settings/etc. back on their phones after cleaning them up for the 1.3.1 update....

I just exchanged my Pre for a new one at a Sprint Store (3rd Pre in a month, but that is a different story). I am unable to logon to my Palm Profile on the new Pre. They worked someone through a chat session, not sure if it was Palm or Sprint. After an hour and a half, they couldn't get it logged in to download my profile. They said I should hear from someone in a few hours via my home phone.

Here's what's happened:

• Initially, I was prompted for my email/password on the new phone. Logon failed.
    • Tried several times, all failed.
    • Then, the salesperson had me try accessing the Palm Profile logon via their PC's brower.
    • It came back and said an account with that email address does not exist.
    • At that point, the salesperson open a ticket/chat/whatever with someone.
    • After working with them, it recognized my email address but I was still unable to logon.
    • At that point, I had too may password attempts, and did the 'Forgot password' link. We request that my password be sent to my email address.
    • After waiting 15-20 minutes, it the email did not show up.
    • They chatted some more (I assume), and the salesperson said that they were having issues and it would be 2-3 hours.
    • So, I took the new phone and headed home. When I got home, I was able to logon to my Palm Profile account on my PC. But was still unable to get there on my phone.
    • I just did the chat thing with Palm Support (which may have been what they did at the Sprint Store), and got nowhere.
    • Initially, he said it was a signal strength issue. Nope, 4 bars and 'Ev'.
    • Then he said my phone was unable to contact some server somewhere. I'm not sure if this is true or not. But, I was not receiving the message he said I should.
    • We left it with him escalating to some Support Engineering Team (?). They will call me back within 24 hours. I hope I don't get paged from work.

My guess is something is broken either at Palm or Sprint that is not allowing the new phone to connect to my Palm profile. This probably affects more than just me, and probably anyone trying to re-download their profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I think you mean Palm webOS profile....but no, you can't create one before activation. There is also no way to manage the info in your profile other then via the phone. Basically the Palm profile is a black box you have no ability to do anything with. Use Google instead.

I don't want to sync with Google, just my PIM info from my 800w, as I have too many e-mail addresses with Google that are not part of my 800w.

As a comparison: when I used the Seven Beta program (August 2008) PIM sync service (cloud based) with my 800w, it (Google) really messed up my contacts!

I'm willing to take the risk with Palm Profile to make my user experience less complicated and more easy to use. I never use Outlook anyway.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I just updated from 1.2.1 to 1.3.1 and my contacts were lost. If I hadn't had them on Google, the Pre would be a pile of crushed plastic and I'd be headed out tomorrow phone hunting.

I've had enought of being a beta tester. When this refurb phone breaks I'm so done with Palm and the Pre. I. Have. Had. Enough.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I ran the webos doctor because webos repair didn't work out for me. After running webos doctor and installing it I lost all my contacts. Is there anyway to retrieve them? I logged back into my palm profile under the same email address but I never got my contacts. I hope someone can help. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thanks Gaurav, I had to migrate from my Google Contacts to restore most of them.

I didn't back up the contacts (to Google) I had added this afternoon, but that was only a couple of numbers and I can get them tomorrow at Guard Mount.
    Can you please explain what you mean you lost your contacts? Did you set the Palm profile as you default profile as backup? If so then your contacts should be backed up in the cloud on Palm's servers. The factory restore using webos doctor would not erase your contacts because the PIM is not backed up locally on the Pre. When you signed into your palm profile, it should automatically restore your contacts on the next sync. If it didn't, you might want to wait since Palm's servers may be down currently. Alternately you may have to call Palm CS to make sure your contacts are still there...

In the future I recommend you sync to google instead as it is much more reliable imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    my contacts are no longer in the address book... Its been about 5 hours now and still nothing... I've sync'd my phone and still nothing. My palm profile was the default. Next time I'm going with google
    Palm's server is being hosed at the moment....that could be your problem.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I am like many who have had trouble getting my contact retrieved from my Palm Profile after DOCTORING and running the WebOS 1.3.1 update.

Is there any FACTUAL explanation why the sync is not working for many of us?

I hate to lose 350 contacts for no reason.

Is this a server problem? I have 2 contacts ONLY and they are the most recently imputed in the phone...very odd why no others are being recognized.

Thanks for the help!

JB
    same thing happened to me when i did the doctor a few hours ago cause i wanted to clean my phone up of any stray things that may be on the phone(patches, etc.)...

from what i heard so far...its a problem with palm servers or something(and should be back later)...I really hope everyone who had this problem can get their contacts or whatever they have missing back...I lost memos, (many)contacts, etc. that were on the phone because of it...
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast