Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Gotta say, Palm needs to figure out how to sync task and notes.

Following webos dr of my phone which I backed up manually I only received task and notes from the last week or two.

Most of it wasn't a big deal, I did lose a big note but I happened to email it to myself on a few occassions. Not sure how long ago that was last but at least I have some of it.

I was doing a camera review and lost about 4 key points. I made a note so I wouldn't have to remember them (so naturally I don't). I cannot tell you how pi$$ed I am about this.

Does anyone know a way I can possibly recover this note? Is it on my USB drive somewhere (I backed up the visible folders), is my palm data in the cloud somewhere that I can access it? I know the answer to both of these is no, but perhaps if enough people complain that the only sync option we have doesn't work, MAYBE JUST MAYBE Palm will admit cloud syncing and backup isn't quite where it needs to be in 2009, and that maybe, just maybe they need to offer us (us being those who don't want to mess with the linux system) a way to get our info backed up properly.

I can tell you this, if all my backups were this half assed, as a photographer I'd be out of business. I'd have no portfolio and I'd be screwed.

I can't understand how I could have these notes backed up over and over and they not reappear on my Pre.

PALM PLEASE GIVE US AT LEAST A NON CLOUD BACKUP OPTION. YOUR RESTORE TOTALLY SUCKS.
    Last edited by pico23; 11/12/2009 at 06:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Even better, all the contacts I imported from my Outlook contacts are deleted. According to Palm, I have a grand total of 2 contacts.

Some may be asking why I don't use google contacts? Simple. Google saves every email address you ever reply to as a contact.

So I imported my Outlook contacts into my Palm profile as a 1 time thing. Over 200 contacts were added on June 10th or so.

All gone....Not a big deal, because I can reimport them to my profile or something, but this is a gross failure by palm. This absolutely disproves the idea that cloud computing and storing data on a Palm server is a good idea.

I'm angry because I was duped into believing that hitting the backup did anything, and for the time wasted importing into my Palm Profile. Basically, the Palm profile is the biggest waste of time and effort by Palm that I have seen.

If this is going to work, there has to be a way to view backed up data online, and a way to push what is missing to the phone. There also needs to be restore points.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Outlook and Pocket Mirror will back up notes, calender, and contacts now and tasks soon.
    Do you use Gmail for mail? I'm toying with the idea of just entering all my notes as mails to myself and creating a Notes folder/tag on gmail to file them under... problem solved.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    So yesterday I was having trouble with my Pre going "offline" so went to Palm chat and "Barney" comes up with trying partial erase to fix the problem well it fixed that problem , however after the phone was reset and rebooted I went to check my contacts and "poof" not there only two contacts Sprint customer service and Sprint billing neither of which I really like to contact. Told Barney about ti immediately he says wait 30 min to 24 hours for them to pop back in .....well twenty four hours later and no Palm Profile data still....so I get back on Palm Chat with guess who none the less "Barney" whom by now I believe is A Bot ....PaLM'S A.I they have been secretly working on....so back and forht we go in the convo....and Barney finally says he can not help at all ...at first he said he could fix this no problem...and that he was sending me to "higher" tech support , he did not have any idea when or how long before I would be contacted ....and before anyone asks ...Yes my ackup was set to automatic I check it once a week and do it manualy just for giggles when I look....a lot of good that did .... my suspicion is that Palm is losing Data ...so watch out everyone backup your data to some other places do not trust Palm with it.....
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Yup, been there done that. lol sucks. There is a guy that posted a step by step on how to try and recover it so I would do a quick search (if it's not one of the links above) and see if that won't help you. Mine was already overwritten so I lost all 160..
    Go Blue!

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sd7318 View Post
    Yup, been there done that. lol sucks. There is a guy that posted a step by step on how to try and recover it so I would do a quick search (if it's not one of the links above) and see if that won't help you. Mine was already overwritten so I lost all 160..

Thanks I will try to locate that post ..... If any one knows where it is leave me a link here
    Quote Originally Posted by 27scoob View Post
    Thanks I will try to locate that post ..... If any one knows where it is leave me a link here
    was your phone up to date after the resets? I saw this in another thread. Try this:

Upgrade your phone to the current WebOS software version
    Once phone is finished upgrading and reboots, do a full erase
    Reactivate your phone and log into your profile
    Wait for the phone to reboot and all of you palm profile data should be restored

Let us know if that works. I have over 1200 contacts on my pre and would go crazy if I lost them! I should have started my profile with google. Too bad I cant transfer contacts over to google now
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    Let us know if that works. I have over 1200 contacts on my pre and would go crazy if I lost them! I should have started my profile with google. Too bad I cant transfer contacts over to google now
    Yep, transferring them is not possible (or at least not feasible for most folks), and I try to let everyone possible know that Google is a *much* better option than Palm Profile.

But it is fairly easy to make a backup of your entire Contacts database. If you put WebOS Quick Install on your PC and ask it to copy the file /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3, you will have a copy of your Contacts (and events, account credentials, and call logs according to the WebOS Internals web site). It's difficult to do much with them, but as a last resort you could copy it back to a new Pre and I suspect you would recover your data.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Add another name to that list... Happened to me the first week I had the phone.
    I have that palmdatabase.db3 file backed up onto mydesktop. It never even occurred to me that if I ever needed a restore to just copy that file back into the pre. Does this work? Has it been confirmed?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Do you use Gmail for mail? I'm toying with the idea of just entering all my notes as mails to myself and creating a Notes folder/tag on gmail to file them under... problem solved.
    Nice idea, I was on that as well.

I actually use the email as a "word" editor. Works great. Even allows me to do basic formating for blog posting. DocsToGo would be nice though.

I'm not a rampant complainer, so this thing really peed me off, and better I noticed there was a semi fix for this, but I assume that now that Palm backed up my device at 4pm, this stuff is useless. I'll try the partial erase but I have a feeling it will do nothing. Nothing to really lose by trying though.

As far as shelling out another $40 for sync software, not gonna happen. Either the clooud works or it doesn't. Can't have it both ways, if it doesn't work then they should have provided a backup solution, if it does than there is no need for one.

All I want is for palm to either confirm it does or it doesn't. Thus far, Palms cloud is a disaster, and google doesn't solve all my issues.

When my PPCs went bad, I restored from the built in SD card, or I hooked it up to my PC and synced outlook. 10 minutes later I was good to go. First time I have lost data in ages.
    Can one create a Palm (OS) Profile in advance?

I'm upgrading to a Pixi from the Windows Mobile Treo 800w. (I do have MicrosoftMy Phone which might help. Maybe. Don't know...)
  14. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I agree. Offline backup/sync is a basic minimum requirement which palm has dodged like a number of other basics on the WebOS platform
    First of all I have almost 2500 contacts in my Pre and could not imagine what I would do if I lost them. I have been accumulating them since my Palm Pilot back in the 90's.
    When I switched from my Treo 650 to my Pre I exported all my contacts to Google. If I add a contact on my desktop via Google it updates my Pre automatically and vise a versa. I would assume (maybe wrongly) that if my Pre was wiped out it would be taken care of via Google.

I would recommend everyone to get a Gmail account and export your contacts to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthemmobil1 View Post
    First of all I have almost 2500 contacts in my Pre and could not imagine what I would do if I lost them. I have been accumulating them since my Palm Pilot back in the 90's.
    When I switched from my Treo 650 to my Pre I exported all my contacts to Google. If I add a contact on my desktop via Google it updates my Pre automatically and vise a versa. I would assume (maybe wrongly) that if my Pre was wiped out it would be taken care of via Google.

I would recommend everyone to get a Gmail account and export your contacts to Google.
    How do you do that?
    I think you mean Palm webOS profile....but no, you can't create one before activation. There is also no way to manage the info in your profile other then via the phone. Basically the Palm profile is a black box you have no ability to do anything with. Use Google instead.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Can one create a Palm (OS) Profile in advance?

I'm upgrading to a Pixi from the Windows Mobile Treo 800w. (I do have MicrosoftMy Phone which might help. Maybe. Don't know...)
    I don't know if this is the one everyone is referring to but here is a link that have helped a few.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-contacts.html
    So yesterday I was having trouble with my Pre going "offline" so went to Palm chat and "Barney" comes up with trying partial erase to fix the problem well it fixed that problem , however after the phone was reset and rebooted I went to check my contacts and "poof" not there only two contacts Sprint customer service and Sprint billing neither of which I really like to contact. Told Barney about ti immediately he says wait 30 min to 24 hours for them to pop back in .....well twenty four hours later and no Palm Profile data still....so I get back on Palm Chat with guess who none the less "Barney" whom by now I believe is A Bot ....PaLM'S A.I they have been secretly working on....so back and forht we go in the convo....and Barney finally says he can not help at all ...at first he said he could fix this no problem...and that he was sending me to "higher" tech support , he did not have any idea when or how long before I would be contacted ....and before anyone asks ...Yes my ackup was set to automatic I check it once a week and do it manualy just for giggles when I look....a lot of good that did .... my suspicion is that Palm is losing Data ...so watch out everyone backup your data to some other places do not trust Palm with it.....
    First of all, you need to go back to what you learned in your early school days and use some punctuations and paragraphs. I stopped reading after the second line.

Second, I mysteriously lost my web bookmarks a few days ago. Phone didn't even reset or anything when I lost them. Otherwise, my Pre has been great.
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast