Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    well i am having a technician call me tomorrow to hopefully get my contacts back. Im going to mention to the technician of sending the older backup before I do the restore. Hopefully this works for me
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Update on my situation:

Got a call from Palm and they got all my contacts back. So once I got it back, i jotted down (manually) all the numbers I lost and didn't get back. I have made Google my default profile and will start adding all of my contacts into Google Contacts and away from Palm Profile. This will be the last time I have this problem.

Basically, they ask you to do this:

1) back up your USB drive stuff just in case.
    2) Partial Erase phone
    3) Get to screen where you have choice to sign on to palm profile or create a new one.
    4) Palm will load the backup contacts onto your profile
    5) When they tell you to log in, log in like normal
    6) Wait as it loads all your contacts/apps, etc.
    7) Let it finish syncing and there you go. All your contacts.

For my 2-3 weeks of troubles, I got a Touchstone. So it was somewhat worth it. Glad I got it all back.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Update on my situation:

Got a call from Palm and they got all my contacts back. So once I got it back, i jotted down (manually) all the numbers I lost and didn't get back. I have made Google my default profile and will start adding all of my contacts into Google Contacts and away from Palm Profile. This will be the last time I have this problem.

Basically, they ask you to do this:

1) back up your USB drive stuff just in case.
    2) Partial Erase phone
    3) Get to screen where you have choice to sign on to palm profile or create a new one.
    4) Palm will load the backup contacts onto your profile
    5) When they tell you to log in, log in like normal
    6) Wait as it loads all your contacts/apps, etc.
    7) Let it finish syncing and there you go. All your contacts.

For my 2-3 weeks of troubles, I got a Touchstone. So it was somewhat worth it. Glad I got it all back.
    awesome...i got a call couple days ago saying that they were in the "process" of helping me out and that when they're done they'll give me a call back...hopefully i end up like u!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

What Dept. did you talk to to get it?
    Well, finally got a call about getting my memos and task back today. Its pretty much the same routine as mentioned above, the tech goes in and looks for the biggest file and then has you do a partial erase and once it gets to signing into your palm profile, they load up that file and then you log in. Memos came back, as well as my task. The 1st time they did it, they used the largest file they had for my backups, and it only restored 4 of my memos. The 2nd largest file, then restored all of my memos and task back. While talking to the rep, I could hear other reps in the background talking to others about losing their contacts and memos too.. I'm glad to have my memos and tasks back.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My data was lost on November 14th and Palm called me today and restored my data back from a backup that was made on November 1st, therefore most of my data came back and I'm happy but I wish there was a way that I could get that free touchstone. More details on that please!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    a nice fellow in another thread mentioned if you get a new Pre, enter a new profile name, run all updates, and then put in your old profile name, all the backups should port over properly.

can anyone confirm/deny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Well, finally got a call about getting my memos and task back today. Its pretty much the same routine as mentioned above, the tech goes in and looks for the biggest file and then has you do a partial erase and once it gets to signing into your palm profile, they load up that file and then you log in. Memos came back, as well as my task. The 1st time they did it, they used the largest file they had for my backups, and it only restored 4 of my memos. The 2nd largest file, then restored all of my memos and task back. While talking to the rep, I could hear other reps in the background talking to others about losing their contacts and memos too.. I'm glad to have my memos and tasks back.
    Good story.

That's nice to know that they're not sitting on their hands, but I'd STILL really like them to be working on a desktop sync solution as well.
    My pre was acting up, resetting randomly, so I contacted Palm tech support and got talking.

They said my Palm Profile had been verified and all was ok, but when they asked me to do a manual backup to check it was working, it never showed up on their system. From the phone, it said a backup had been completed successfully, but it never got to the cloud apparently.

It wouldn't be so bad if my data was somewhere, but they say they've never had a back up off me.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs86 View Post
    What Dept. did you talk to to get it?
    Corporate. After Level 3 refused to offer it to me, I asked for Corporate and asked it there. Just remember you only get the touchstone and the back cover.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    a nice fellow in another thread mentioned if you get a new Pre, enter a new profile name, run all updates, and then put in your old profile name, all the backups should port over properly.

can anyone confirm/deny?
    Didn't work for me. =\
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Didn't work for me. =\
    that <<edited by berd>> sucks

did you lose everything?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 12/03/2009 at 10:19 PM.
    So I after adding all of my contacts in by hand Palm finally got a hold of me. They said they could restore all of my data but I declined because I already fixed it. Now the question is, after I redid all of my contacts I did a back manually. It this going to happen again and it the new back ups lost too?

Also I just used Webos Quick install to copy the database to my PC. Is this all I need? What will it restore?
    Last edited by rem_kujawa; 12/03/2009 at 08:11 PM.
    First of all, I want to say that Palm goofed up on this. I could offer some guesses as to how it happened, but it really doesn't matter; they goofed.

That said, I got a little exercise for you. How many of you out there that have import IT data (computer, phone, PDA, whatever) regularly back it up? If you do, raise your hand. C'mon now, be honest, I can see you out there. Good, that means the (maybe) 40% of you that have your hands up at least make the effort that Palm made for Pre owners.

Now, out of you that have your hands up, how many of you randomly do a restore of that data to ensure you have a good backup?

Uhhuh. That's what I thought. You guys are doing what Palm did...

Need to fix that guys.
    they called me back and tryed to get my data back but didn't work lost 400 contacts I only got one contact back and that one was the last new contact I added using 1.3.1 . So it sucks they just said its gone now its really gone since I was told back on nov 14 that all data was lost.well hope you guys have better luck then I had gmail for me from now on.
    They gave me a $25 dollar gift certificate for not having my contacts for about 3 weeks.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    They gave me a $25 dollar gift certificate for not having my contacts for about 3 weeks.
    I got offered a discount code for accessorizes, which is a joke. But whatever ever, I will just use google as my default, and at least with that I can export my contacts to Excel.
    Palm called me back. After 2 hours on the line with tech support, resetting the device enough times to nearly drain the battery completely, and a big thank you to my buddy for letting me use his phone for 2 hours while I was doing all this, I got all my contacts back.

Now that I got all my contacts, calendar events, and memos back, I am relieved, but still upset that it happened.

I depend on my phone very much to remind me about important events and to store important contact information for people I know and/or work with.

I am glad to have my data back, but I am now actively looking and anxiously waiting for a replacement phone and/or carrier. Probably not the droid, but one of the new HTC snapdragon phones due to release in a few months.

Shame on you Palm for not offering free sync software for my PC.

Android looks better and better the more I use this little hockey puck.