Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    lost my contacts as well *** is palm's problem still waiting on them to call me back, i have loyalty to only the new phones next year when something nicer hits this pre will find itself on ebay or the garbage can.
    I back up to exchange, and I feel a lil silly for not keeping a file copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by RnC_Forever View Post
    So I went to pick up my 4th Palm Pre and it failed in the store! Sprint has now referred me to the WELLS program where I can get a comparable model in exchange. I am considering the BB Tour 9630. Any thoughts?
    HTC
    Quote Originally Posted by RnC_Forever View Post
    Questions:

1. Can I go back to radio shack, get my old PRE back (assuming they kept their word and didn't reset it or send it back already) and then do a data cable transfer from old pre to new pre?

2. If not, can I go online somehow and get the information from my Palm Profile and print it, or get it to gmail, or hotmail and into my new Pre that way?

3. In not, can I re-activate my old Palm Pre (assuming contacts are still in it lol) and then upload from the phone to my own computer to gmail, hotmail etc so that I don't lose my contacts and calendar?

Any suggestions or pointing me to the right posts on here would be appreciated.
    Welcome to the Pre. A similar thing happened to me. I updated to 1.2.1 and lost all my data, and Palm could not retrieve it from my profile.

So I called Palm and spent days on the phone, each time getting "escalated" to a higher level of support. Finally, they told me that the "backup team" would get back to me in a few days if they could retrieve my data. They couldn't, and I had to rebuild my contacts and calendar from scratch.

Bottom line: Palm's claim that they back up your system every night is hollow. They may back it up, but they do not know how to retrieve it!

Think about it: is there anywhere you have seen a "retrieve" or "restore" function? I haven't. So how could you "get the information from my Palm Profile" and print it out? Palm apparently can't. How could you?

Sooooo, I bought Chapura Echo and I sync with my Palm Desktop 6.2.2 at least once a day. It works, but I just learned that Echo only syncs entries in the Pre account. If you have a calendar entry that came over from Google, for example, Echo will ignore it.

Bottom bottom line: Someone has to come up with a complete back-up and restore system for the Pre. Please.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    I don't understand how you can lose everything. But I guess I am just lucky?

I have all my contacts from Google and Facebook... all my calendars are Google (I have some crap stuff on the Palm Profile calendar that if it got lost would not matter to me.) What else is there? If my phone completely and totally died, I could get a new one and set it up with my accounts and have all my contacts and calendars right back. Beyond that, who cares, the rest of the backup is really just settings.
    in all fairness, YOU should be responsible for YOUR data. Having worked for the number #1 computer company, when your HDD fails I just hoped stuff was backed up. People show way to much entitlement now a days and do very little to learn how to fix and prevent mistakes.

from now on keep everything google and print a hard copy, or if you are lucky enough to have exchange use the options from there. No say this is Palm's fault. Hardware fails and consumers need to be more educated about it. IMHO
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by topshelfkennels@hotmail.com View Post
    lost my contacts as well *** is palm's problem still waiting on them to call me back, i have loyalty to only the new phones next year when something nicer hits this pre will find itself on ebay or the garbage can.
    Please be advised that Palm will call you back in 30 days or more, and will be unable to resolve your lost data issue. That's what happened to me.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    HTC
    Thanks for the advice, but the latest update is that I have my 5th Palm Pre. Sprint wasn't willing to give me an HTC model, and after looking at my other options (HTC Hero, and BB Tour) I decided I would continue with the Pre because nothing else really does what it does.

Heres to hoping I don't have to replace this one, and that I can learn to manage the battery better.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Yeah, lost mine as well when I switched to the Pre that I'd won. I complained about it for a day but realize the fault is mine for not backing up elsewhere.. still though, for a phone that "syncs" daily, it should be able to restore contacts every time.

Question for anyone, what is the easiest way to sync to gmail? If I use that for my default profile, does that transfer the contacts already saved under my Palm profile?
    Go Blue!

10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sd7318 View Post
    Yeah, lost mine as well when I switched to the Pre that I'd won. I complained about it for a day but realize the fault is mine for not backing up elsewhere.. still though, for a phone that "syncs" daily, it should be able to restore contacts every time.

Question for anyone, what is the easiest way to sync to gmail? If I use that for my default profile, does that transfer the contacts already saved under my Palm profile?

I feel your pain as you see on all my posts here. I am using Google as my default for contacts and calendar so I don't lose anything.

To answer your question, as far as I know, there is no way to get the 'Palm Profile' contacts/calendar etc over to google without doing it manually. I still have 2 palm contacts on my phone and I can figure out which two they are to back them up to Google.

Hopefully someone else has a solution to this.
    what the hell can I do ? They were always backed up than all the sudden I do partial erase today and all my palm profile contacts are mssing can someone fill me in on this issue
    Well i had to do a hard reset because of a failed update i signed n to may palm profile and all my contacts were gone lost not there... there is not a damn thing palm can do to get them back they never called me back either tomorrow i am going to get the HTC hero and sell my pre on ebay there is no way palm should allow this to happen even though it has said its was backing up my contacts when it was not...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I recently replaced my pre with a new one. Backups said they had been working on the old phone.

signed into my profile on the new phone, it said it restored things.

it did *not* restore any contacts.

I had local contacts, gmail and facebook contacts setup. it said that facebook and gmail accounts were setup on the new phone, and said the same thing about my gmail account.

however, those accounts would not sync anything. I had only my 2 sprint contacts on the new phone.

i had to delete the email and contact accounts and recreate them to get any contacts to sync from gmail and facebook.

but more importantly, all of my *local* contacts were gone. all of them.

the only thing worse than not providing a backup system, is providing one that doesn't work AT ALL.

my previously installed apps were installed on the new phone.

I tried a full erase and restore, with the same results. way to suck Palm, big time.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I had a similar issue, but it wasnt that the backup didnt work... it was the restore that didnt work. You just need the do a partial erase and have it reload your palm profile. However, you need to do this BEFORE your pre does another scheduled backup or it will update your profile with the empty contacts.
    Sorry for your inconvenience. Please check out the following thread and I hope it isn't too late. This is really the only method that I have found that works every time. My replacement number is soon to be up to 8 and I will be on my 9th.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-contacts.html
    I've done this several times and every time, the backup worked great, no issues whatsoever. My Pre is always back to an up-to-date state. Maybe your restore is the issue?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    i feel you guys im on my 7th palm pre and sprint is giving me a hard time to replacing it with another device.
    First chance i get im getting the Hero For me and my wife were both getting error codes 129 on our phones and its just getting worse..
    the 2 palm profile contacts are sprint (*2 and something else)
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sd7318 View Post
    Nope, you have to do it manually. There is a post floating around about how to export all your contacts and import them into Google. You don't even have to root your Pre if you use webOS Quick Install. It isn't pretty, but it works.

And my question for anyone who lost their data using the Palm sync and who called Palm...I heard they were at least giving away a Touchstone for your troubles, is that not the case anymore?
    Snap I lost my Palm Profile data just now AGAIN for the 3rd time after running webos doctor. What ****es me off is that I did a manual backup prior to erase.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast