Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Your back up was corrupted and that's why you lost your stuff... That may an issue on Palm's end, but why are you not using Google to back up your contacts also? That's on you. It's stupid to rely on ONE means of backup. Get your contacts put up on GMail or Yahoo! and back it up.
    <a href=http://twitter.com/reagan247 target=_blank>http://twitter.com/reagan247</a>
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    its funny this happened so soon after the T-Mobile Sidekick cloud disaster.
    WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT USING A 2ND CONTACT OPTION??? Seriously, Palm may be having a hard time figuring out Contact Backups... but it seems like Pre/Pixi owners don't get that Yahoo! and GMail contacts backup just fine and with Synergy they don't have to worry about multiple contacts for the same people. I'm getting so tired of careless people blaming Palm for an easy problem fix.

At the same time, those who say "Well if we could back up to our computer, like Blackberries can do..." you'd probably forget and start a thread on here to waste more of time while you complain that Palm made you not back up ONCE AGAIN...
    <a href=http://twitter.com/reagan247 target=_blank>http://twitter.com/reagan247</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post
    This issue has hit the front page of PreCentral.net:
    BAH! Where's the editorial review after Palm's response
    We are seeing a small number of customers who have experienced issues transferring their Palm Profile information to another Palm webOS device. Palm and Sprint are working closely together to support these customers to successfully transfer their information to the new device
    A "small number of customers" are experiencing the issue and they are working with Sprint "to support these customers to successfully transfer their information to a new device?!"

What a load of crap! It has been about two weeks now since I was told that I would receive a callback concerning this issue and I have heard NOTHING from them. No letter, email, or callback offering a status update or a simple apology. Palm is giving us the bird. Precentral, you need to start reporting what is ACTUALLY happening. Get some user stories up there, and then we will see Palm take action. Until then, they will continue to play this game and LAUGH at us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by reagan247 View Post
    WHY ARE PEOPLE NOT USING A 2ND CONTACT OPTION??? Seriously, Palm may be having a hard time figuring out Contact Backups... but it seems like Pre/Pixi owners don't get that Yahoo! and GMail contacts backup just fine and with Synergy they don't have to worry about multiple contacts for the same people. I'm getting so tired of careless people blaming Palm for an easy problem fix.

At the same time, those who say "Well if we could back up to our computer, like Blackberries can do..." you'd probably forget and start a thread on here to waste more of time while you complain that Palm made you not back up ONCE AGAIN...
    Excuse me, how is it reasonable to trust one online backup service (Google/Yahoo) over another (Palm)?
    Your back up was corrupted and that's why you lost your stuff... That may an issue on Palm's end, but why are you not using Google to back up your contacts also? That's on you. It's stupid to rely on ONE means of backup. Get your contacts put up on GMail or Yahoo! and back it up.
    Excuse me, how is it reasonable to trust one online backup service (Google/Yahoo) over another (Palm)? Suggesting that it is "stupid" to have depended on Palm's standard setup is outrageous. If Palm wasn't 100% sure in their ability to handle customer's important data then they should have offered secondary means for backup as part of the standard setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by todds View Post
    Excuse me, how is it reasonable to trust one online backup service (Google/Yahoo) over another (Palm)?
    Seriously? Because Google/Yahoo doesn't back up over itself like your Palm Profile does... And there's no ONE file for Google/Yahoo to loose from becoming corrupted... not to mention you can export your contacts' information from Google/Yahoo to SAVE ON YOUR COMPUTER? What part of all of that are you not understanding man? It's simple. Back up to Palm AND Google/Yahoo (or all 3) if you don't want to have issues loosing every one of your contacts.
    Excuse me, how is it reasonable to trust one online backup service (Google/Yahoo) over another (Palm)? Suggesting that it is "stupid" to have depended on Palm's standard setup is outrageous. If Palm wasn't 100% sure in their ability to handle customer's important data then they should have offered secondary means for backup as part of the standard setup.
    Why are you posting duplicate threads AND asking me the same question in both? http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2054017

Can we get a MOD to delete this thread?
    Seriously? Because Google/Yahoo doesn't back up over itself like your Palm Profile does... And there's no ONE file for Google/Yahoo to loose from becoming corrupted... not to mention you can export your contacts' information from Google/Yahoo to SAVE ON YOUR COMPUTER? What part of all of that are you not understanding man? It's simple. Back up to Palm AND Google/Yahoo (or all 3) if you don't want to have issues loosing every one of your contacts.
    Had I known that Palm was having reliability issues I most certainly would have taken steps to safeguard that data, but I have been using Palm devices for years, depending on the standard method of backups (Palm Desktop) for years. When I got the Pre, it naturally occurred that I continued to use the standard method for backups, assuming Palm has this figured out.

Was this a mistake? Absolutely. Is it unreasonable for me to have made this mistake? Hell no. Palm should have taken steps to ensure the safety of customer data. It is Palm's fault that they did not have some kind of data redundancy plan in place. It is Palm's fault that they did not have some kind of data verification check in place. It is Palm's fault for not providing instructions/methods for making alternate, secure backups. It is Palm's fault that they did not ensure that their systems were ready. This is Palm's fault.
    Why are you posting duplicate threads AND asking me the same question in both? (EDIT: I'm not allowed to post links)

Can we get a MOD to delete this thread?
    That post only borrows from elements of the previous post, so it is in fact, unique. The spirit your message, aside from its hostility, is correct though -- we should probably carry on in the other thread.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thank you for the input guys I ended up using my instinct which had all but a few contacts to get my contacts back. But what a pain. Now I am trying to find out how to back up my phone other than depending on palm. Either with gmail or yahoo, I have both. Or another way to back everything up in general.
    Had I known that Palm was having reliability issues I most certainly would have taken steps to safeguard that data, but I have been using Palm devices for years, depending on the standard method of backups (Palm Desktop) for years. When I got the Pre, it naturally occurred that I continued to use the standard method for backups, assuming Palm has this figured out.

Was this a mistake? Absolutely. Is it unreasonable for me to have made this mistake? Hell no. Palm should have taken steps to ensure the safety of customer data. It is Palm's fault that they did not have some kind of data redundancy plan in place. It is Palm's fault that they did not have some kind of data verification check in place. It is Palm's fault for not providing instructions/methods for making alternate, secure backups. It is Palm's fault that they did not ensure that their systems were ready. This is Palm's fault.
    I will agree with about HALF of your opinion. The other half is just whining and blame placing to deal with your inability to be proactive. Saying that it's not your fault for knowing all of this, and that the sole blame falls on Palm for not thinking for you is just ludicrous. That's like saying you were in a car wreck because Ford didn't explain to you the proper way to distance yourself behind a car, and that their brake system caused your wreck... and if Ford was more like Mercedes you would not have had the wreck in the 1st place. It's utter crap. Sorry for my hostility in these posts, but please understand my frustration at logging on to PreCentral and EVERYDAY seeing these posts, which could have been completely avoided. I had all of my data lost and had to have Palm replace my purchased apps because of it. No big deal, because ALL of the other stuff (Contacts) were already backed up to other places.
    I will agree with about HALF of your opinion. The other half is just whining and blame placing to deal with your inability to be proactive. Saying that it's not your fault for knowing all of this, and that the sole blame falls on Palm for not thinking for you is just ludicrous. That's like saying you were in a car wreck because Ford didn't explain to you the proper way to distance yourself behind a car, and that their brake system caused your wreck... and if Ford was more like Mercedes you would not have had the wreck in the 1st place. It's utter crap. Sorry for my hostility in these posts, but please understand my frustration at logging on to PreCentral and EVERYDAY seeing these posts, which could have been completely avoided. I had all of my data lost and had to have Palm replace my purchased apps because of it. No big deal, because ALL of the other stuff (Contacts) were already backed up to other places.
    The bigger issue here is the one that upsets you -- there are hundreds of people who are experiencing this issue because (2 reasons) Palm did not properly handle that data AND they did not provide an explained method to make alternate backups. I understand that you can backup the data to google/yahoo, but doing so is not a simple, streamlined, or (readily available) documented task (specifically if you have been entering your contacts in the standard way, under the palm profile).

The situation sucks, but really Palm needs to step up, act like a responsible company, and address it.
    The bigger issue here is the one that upsets you -- there are hundreds of people who are experiencing this issue because (2 reasons) Palm did not properly handle that data AND they did not provide an explained method to make alternate backups. I understand that you can backup the data to google/yahoo, but doing so is not a simple, streamlined, or (readily available) documented task (specifically if you have been entering your contacts in the standard way, under the palm profile).

The situation sucks, but really Palm needs to step up, act like a responsible company, and address it.
    Ok, I'll give you that Palm hasn't done enough yet to address this situation. I just wish you could see that you have to be proactive with any phone, NOT just the Pre. Why would you think that you don't need to have an alternative solution to back up your Contacts? I was filtering and cleaning up my GMail contact list and adding my Contacts from my Blackberry before I even picked up my Pre. I mean, come on. Now you've learned your lesson and hopefully you've called CS at Sprint & Palm by now about it and HOPEFULLY they'll be sending you a touchstone or something to bide you over until you fix your Contact problems.
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Just call me Berd.

So, is there something ones can be doing before this happens?
    Is there some alternate backup solution?

I'm sorry, but I don't have a Pre.
    But I'd like to have any solution/protection ones might take added to the First Post.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

Lets say you have hundreds of contacts in your Palm profile, what exactly do you suggest to migrate them to Google?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Yes we need more than one backup option but still it should still work on there end
    Palm has heard:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-profi...ackup-failures

Hopefully they will consider more alternatives.
    Just call me Berd.
    related? they say backups and not contacts...

Palm Pre backups can be easily overwritten by a replacement device: replacers beware! -- Engadget

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Palm has heard:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-profi...ackup-failures

Hopefully they will consider more alternatives.