Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Well.. It seems my contacts, even though the most important, was not my only worries. After messing with the phone trying to pick up the pieces.. I realized i couldn't log in to or add my pop accounts. Message accounts could not be added to the palm. Picture accounts and etc.. I also noticed my internet connection was sporadic to say the least. Wifi was non existent. A real mess. After hours of messing with it.. doctored it I don't know how many times... I finally decided to cut my losses and create a new Palm profile. Low and behold... that did the trick. Still lost my contacts but at least now I can go on through life with the rest of my phone features.

So.. the disease here is carried in the data on the "cloud". Somehow the database became corrupt and it wreaked havoc over and over. Continuously infecting the phone every time the phone downloaded it.

What I don't know is where and when the database became corrupt. I can tell yous that I had no issues until I doctor'd the phone with 1.3.1.

Hopefully this info will help others.

P.S. Still no f'n word from tier 3 palm support. I'm really disappointed. It's really too bad I love my pre! From now on.. google will be my primary contact database.
    I would never depend on one source to store my contacts etc. If it is important or time consuming, I backup my work.

Your phone will automatically backup that data to your Palm profile, but what if that update happens before your Pre has pulled all contact data? Your Pre will give Palm whatever it has and overwrite whatever is already there. Thus the need for a backup, like Google mail or Outlook.

We all could rail against Palm for losing our contacts, or we could take responsibility for our own lives and take appropriate precautions to avoid issues in the future.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    You can go back to the sprint store where you exchanged your Pre out at and get them to transfer the contracts from your pre (providing they used a cellbritre transfer to begin with). Problem solved
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyv69 View Post
    when my speaker went bad and I got my pre exchanged, palm lost my 277 contacts, in return they offered me a touchstone, sprint gave me a$75 dollar credit, the store handed me a car charger....as to the contacts...they suggested google for a backup next time...woowhoo way to go palm and sprint...NOT
    To be 100% honest, if I could walk into a Sprint store today and trade an hour or so of typing for almost $200 worth of stuff... I'd do it in a heartbeat. hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    This is a news story. Why has no one covered it. Anyone?
    That's what I'm screamin'!! I'd love it if Kessler wrote a 2,500 word story on how this is why he hates the world.

Something like this would be totally appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    That's bull crap... if Sprint can transfer contacts from Pre to Pre... why can't Palm write us a Java app to do the same??

That's TOTAL bull. This is definitely the BIGGEST misstep they've come up with yet.

Some people have had the Pre for FIVE MONTHS... and Palm has still not offered a REAL backup solution.

\/\/ T F ?!?!?

This is a FAR GREATER problem for them than the App Catalog limit [and even far easier for them to solve, too!]!!

If backups are not at 100%, then we're definitely not talking about the same Palm, Inc. NOT HAVING THE CAPABILITIES TO FLAWLESSLY RESTORE A BACKUP IS A SECURITY RISK.

It should be 100%, and I can't understand why they don't get this. Hopefully, if some employer of Palm realizes this... you tell the Apple guys up top that they forgot about one more thing -- FLAWLESS PALM BACKUP!
    Even a Firefox extension if not a Java application?? Something??? PLEASE?!??!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    yup.. as it is right now.. I guess palm expects you to have this phone for life?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    How do you back up on Google?
    I have been wondering this too. I have searched and asked this question a few times but no luck. Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    I have been wondering this too. I have searched and asked this question a few times but no luck. Anyone?
    when u go to ur contacts and preferences and accounts...theres gonna be a default account...switch it from palm profile to google
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    when u go to ur contacts and preferences and accounts...theres gonna be a default account...switch it from palm profile to google
    That will only get you NEW contacts on google. What you need to do is do an export from Outlook or whatever and then upload them to Google via a computer to get your older contacts to google. Although you will lose any picture associations you may have with the contacts.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    To be 100% honest, if I could walk into a Sprint store today and trade an hour or so of typing for almost $200 worth of stuff... I'd do it in a heartbeat. hahaha
    try 4 and a half hours in the store and no way to recover 4 years of customers!
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    happened to me too that sucks !
    If you still have your data stored in Palm desktop or Outlook, use Palm Data Transfer Assistant to transfer those info to your phone, and sync the contacts and calendar to Google from now on.
    Hmm, how do all those people who said "we don't need to steenkin' desktop sync, we've got the cloud" feel now?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Ummm...there was no online Palm profile backup on the Treos... Palm desktop backup works pretty well for most users...
    Actually, I have to say Gaurav (or GFunk ) - Palm Desktop Backup worked pretty well for some, probably most, but I always had a headache with it.

My needs were a little different - I had to use GroupWise (and still do). There were several solutions available, but all of them required a little "tweaking" to get them to work right. Usually involved setting up one-way synch, fixing dupes, then setting up one way the other way, fixing dupes again, and finally enabling two way.

I finally got to the point where before I did anything involving a new/replacement/wiped Palm device, I exported my contacts to a CSV.

I adopted the same policy on the Pre, and used cloud services (Exchange and two Google accounts). I haven't been burned yet.

BTW, in much of this thread, "Cloud" computing is misused. The contacts in the Palm Profile are not part of "cloud computing". They exist only on the device, and in a composite back up (that exists on Palm's server) of the information on the device.

Cloud computing means the information is available via the web. Palm Profile ain't it.

I do believe that Palm has erred in making people more aware of that.
    Last edited by hparsons; 11/20/2009 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Hmm, how do all those people who said "we don't need to steenkin' desktop sync, we've got the cloud" feel now?
    Absolutely fine (or at least this one does). I have exactly two contacts in my Palm Profile (the two Sprint contacts).

Everything else exists "in the cloud" - on my two Google accounts and my Excahnge account on my home server (plus various IM contacts scattered about, but not worried about them). Oh yeah, Facebook, forgot about those.

Everything has synced up every time I've erased and restored.

Again, the Palm Profile on the Pre is not "cloud computing".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    How do you back up on Google?
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    Export to a CSV
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Well, I made it through the 1.3.1 update without issue, but shortly after my speaker took a dump. I brought the phone in today and they swapped me out for a new one. Like many of you, 3 out of the 60 someodd contacts in my Palm profile came through.

Thanks to forewarning from others I backed up the PalmDatabase.db3 before bringing my phone in. My question is, is there any danger to using WOSQI to place that file back into the new phone? This would bring back my contacts, txt conversations, etc right?

Actually, I would really like to transfer the rest of the palm contacts into my Google account, but none of the ways I've tried have worked yet. The only thing I wonder about is that I backed up the file with WOSQI 2.82 and now have installed 2.9. It should still treat the files the same though right?
    Last edited by ccs86; 11/20/2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs86 View Post
    Well, I made it through the 1.3.1 update without issue, but shortly after my speaker took a dump. I brought the phone in today and they swapped me out for a new one. Like many of you, 3 out of the 60 someodd contacts in my Palm profile came through.

Thanks to forewarning from others I backed up the PalmDatabase.db3 before bringing my phone in. My question is, is there any danger to using WOSQI to place that file back into the new phone? This would bring back my contacts, txt conversations, etc right?

Actually, I would really like to transfer the rest of the palm contacts into my Google account, but none of the ways I've tried have worked yet.
    If you can't find a way, send me the db3 file, and I'll export them to a CSV that you can use.
    This is one major reason why I dumped the Pre for good. Could not sleep at night knowing that i have no control of the backup and no way to know if it's been done properly or not. Why is there no desktop backup app like the Blackberrys have?? Palm=major fail on this one. They want to be taken seriously and they fail to properly backup people's precious data? Have they made any formal announcements about this?
    This issue has hit the front page of PreCentral.net:

http://www.precentral.net/palm-profi...reCentral.net)