Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Ive been reading that palm lost lots and lots of info off a server and anything backed up on palm will be lost when you try and restore it - - good luck! it really sucks there is no way anything that was inadvertently backed up to palm can not be changed to back up on google
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Quote Originally Posted by todds View Post
    Who here knows law. Why can't we get a Class Action Lawsuit rolling? Palm isn't going to acknowledge this issue until there is a threat of litigation.
    Might I direct you to the last paragraph of this post, from just a few posts up...

Quote Originally Posted by rposa View Post
    Not that I don't trust Palm, and have every expectation that WebOS will be the saving grace of that company. Not that I don't expect them to have a few missteps -- all cutting edge technology has the opportunity to bite you in the ***.
    Seems like the only person's fault for putting 100% faith in a "big black box in the cloud" would be you. But I really have no idea what exactly would be needed for a Class Action Lawsuit. Good luck with that, tho...

If backup isn't Palm's #1 priority right now, it should be. That is all.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    add me to the list that got owned by Palm Profile's could failure.
  4. NaS
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    lost contacts on both mine and my wifes pre! mine was after i webdr! wifes was just out of the blue! went to dial a number and they were gone! ***! now shes blaming me! been on the phone with palm for the last two days and waiting for a call back tomorrow! i will keep you posted! not looking good at all! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    I doubt that threat of legal action will go very far, since in order to create a Palm Profile in the first place we all have to agree to the User Agreement, which includes this...

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.palm.com/us/company/tandc.html
    Limitation of liability

IN NO EVENT WILL PALM BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOST PROFITS, DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES, DEVICE OR SOFTWARE, OR ANY FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES OR SOFTWARE, EVEN IF PALM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, PALM’S LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION, WILL AT ALL TIMES BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID, IF ANY, BY YOU TO PALM FOR THE SERVICES OR USD 50 ($50), WHICHEVER IS GREATER.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Just an update to the already known.. I had no luck with downgrade to retrieve. I know someone said they already tried but I'm also sure they would understand why I HAD to try.

No luck at all. Still only had two contacts on my phone after downgrading to 1.2.1 and even 1.1.0. I am now on the "phone with palm" bandwagon and it is frustrating as hell to know that I will get no where. I was afraid of this from the start but I put my trust in Palm's hands. Thinking a big corp. can't be that stoopid to not have some form of redundancy. I am now on level 3 tech support with palm. I guess I am now also waiting for them to call me back. This is unbelievable!!!!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Yes, Palm Back Up Sucks..... Pure and Simple, it's a joke and it's unreliable. This is why I jumped from the Treo to iPhone a few years ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Yes, Palm Back Up Sucks..... Pure and Simple, it's a joke and it's unreliable. This is why I jumped from the Treo to iPhone a few years ago...
    Ummm...there was no online Palm profile backup on the Treos... Palm desktop backup works pretty well for most users...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    when my speaker went bad and I got my pre exchanged, palm lost my 277 contacts, in return they offered me a touchstone, sprint gave me a$75 dollar credit, the store handed me a car charger....as to the contacts...they suggested google for a backup next time...woowhoo way to go palm and sprint...NOT
    How do you back up on Google?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I doubt that threat of legal action will go very far, since in order to create a Palm Profile in the first place we all have to agree to the User Agreement, which includes this...
    It is a contract of adhesion though so you may still be able to get around such clauses...
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I lost my contacts too, thankfully 1.3.1 rolled in and allowed me to use "My Contacts" from GMail. This is a much better way of managing contacts and making sure they stick around.
    This is a news story. Why has no one covered it. Anyone?
    I recieved my replacement phone yesterday because the proximity sensors on my pre was bad. when I finished activating the phone, none of my contacts synched to my new phone, only my few yahoo contacts appeared. i chatted with palm tech support and he told me to reset the phone back up the phone and then said al your contacts should appear when it reboots. the only contacts that showed up were sprint support. talk about danger and microsoft. now im out of the over 100 contacts i had. they sure did a sidekick on me.
    happened to me two I lost like 200 myself .can't wait for DrewPre's backup program coming out very soon.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    The same thing happened to me last weekend. I assumed it had to do with Palm's issue with their servers being overloaded and crashing. I'm surprised it is still happening to people.
    NEVER trust or call Palm. over a decade of experience trying to use Palm support. I know more than their tier 3 uneducated, unintelligible staff. Insist Sprint get you a Palm expert on their staff ( hard to find, but do exist). I guess Rubenstein never listens to the offshore support calls. He would begin to understand why his stock options will be valueless!
    to prevent this going forward, you can simply copy your /var/luna/data/dbdata/palmdatabase.db3 file before a swap and the copy it back on to your new device. Just make sure that you are using the same version of webOS for both phones. This will restore your contatcts, calendar and memos (and probably tasks,but I don't know since I don't use them). I just did this after visiting the Doctor and it worked great!
    That's why I have a gmail account for the contacts. It's just one more place to have the info backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    That's why I have a gmail account for the contacts. It's just one more place to have the info backed up.
    In addition, isn't this one of the main reasons to own a Pre? Every contact is synced with the cloud. Your calendar, etc. But the "cloud" you want it synced to is one you use on your computer like google, yahoo, etc. If you're on the computer and enter in something, its synced to your Pre and vice versa.

I think it boils down to Palm not walking the new user properly through this. It'd make more sense if the palm profile didn't even fool with tying its palm profile with such info. Let its function deal with apps & activations.

Ideally, once you enter in your gmail, yahoo or exchange, all that info gets pulled in.