Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    yeah! seems like palm isn't reliable at all these days. luckily i had the htc touch so i had most of my contacts saved on outlook. i saved it as a .csv and uploaded to google. then i synced it again and i was able to retrieve most of my contacts. now i just need to hunt down some of the newer numbers... what a hassle, but at least now i know to save everything to google. if i save a contact or update contact information on my pre and i sync it to google, will that information be uploaded to my google account as well? Sorry if this is a repetitive question.
    Quote Originally Posted by kosugesan View Post
    ywhat a hassle, but at least now i know to save everything to google. if i save a contact or update contact information on my pre and i sync it to google, will that information be uploaded to my google account as well? Sorry if this is a repetitive question.
    You have to make sure that google is set as the default account for your contacts. Goto contacts > tap top left corner > preferences > select google as default account. Now when when any changes are made to you contacts, they will automatically update and sync to google...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    awesome, thanks! btw nice avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    If I'm reading these posts correctly, it appears Palm might be having trouble making sure their backups are forwards-compatible.

So, your Pre does a backup using webOS 1.3.1. You doctor it back to webOS 1.2.1, it downloads the backup, and thinks most of the backup is corrupted. Palm probably changed the backup structure in some way between versions, and webOS 1.2.1 can no longer understand it. It overwrites your "bad" backup, and away goes your contacts. Palm apparently only keeps the most recent backup, and not a running list of backups.

A possible solution for those doing a Doctor on their webOS 1.3.1 phone (at least until the 1.3.1 webOS Doctor is actually delivered):
    1) Doctor your phone to webOS 1.2.1.
    2) Create a new Palm profile.
    3) Update the device to webOS 1.3.1.
    4) Perform a full erase.
    5) Login to your actual Palm profile.

Let me know if what I'm spewing is wrong...
    Nope this is not the issue. I'm here in EU-GMS Land and we never had another WebOS version than 1.1.3 (sadly). And it happend to me too.
    <merged again>

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Has anyone tried to use an older Doctor version to get it restored?
    Ok, so I just tried to run Webos Doctor versions 1.2.1 and 1.3.1

Neither version will recognize the Pre that has lost the contacts, but both versions recognize a Pre I has 1.3.1 with the contacts. I think during the partial restore something happened that messed with 1.3.1 and now there is no way to get it fixed.

Anyone smarter than me think they can fix it?

WebOSQuickInstall won't even recognize the busted Pre.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    At this point, if you have console access to your device, you should probably back up your PalmDatabase.db3 to your /media/internal (USB) partition, and then move it to your PC.

That's what I did, when I exchanged my Pre. And I exported them to Google, when Palm's "cloud" failed on me.

Ok - here's my quick thoughts. Never trust "the cloud", especially if it's a big black box that has no way for you to get your stuff off --- Google provides a way. Make sure you DO back up from Google. Often. They're "cloud" too, and from time to time, they mess it up too.

Not that I don't trust Palm, and have every expectation that WebOS will be the saving grace of that company. Not that I don't expect them to have a few missteps -- all cutting edge technology has the opportunity to bite you in the ***.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Number for palm Support is (877) 436-3777 in the US hope it helps. Im calling now to see what they can do for me. Thanks KATSNUTS
    After losing most of my data. I tried WebOS doctor 1.2.1, partial erase, updated to 1.3.1, partial erase, still to no avail.

I knew Palm will be no help by reading the Posts here, so I did not bother to call them.

So the only way I could restore my data was using the "Data Transfer Assistant" to transfer my old PIM info from Palm desktop. This time I chose to sync it to Google instead of Palm Backup.

Now I have about 3 months of missing data. My calendars and contacts have been saved to Google since I started using Pre, so they are OK. However, I lost quite a few memos and tasks for the last 3 months.

To those losing PIM data. If you still have those data saved in Palm Desktop or Outlook, just use "Data Transfer Assistant" to get back some of your data. Do not depend on Palm.

Palm.com : Move your info onto your phone with the Data Transfer Assistant
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    This is BS! Never had a problem with palm till now. And it's a big one. I had hundreds of contacts. Had to be close to a grand. And now they are gone? I'm f'n ****ed! Damnit!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Am I understanding this correctly? If I revert back to 1.2.1.. I can get my contacts back??

I don't mind doing what ever! As long as I get my contacts back!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Am I understanding this correctly? If I revert back to 1.2.1.. I can get my contacts back??

I don't mind doing what ever! As long as I get my contacts back!
    not for me
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    sht! Does anyone have a direct link to 1.2.1. My pre hasn't made a backup yet of the palm profile. Perhaps it hasnt had the chance to mess up my cloud backup.

I'm checking my laptop now.
    It might be still available here, down the page a little. I don't know if the link has been updated to download 1.3.1, since the application itself is not 1.3.1 compatible--yet.

sht! Does anyone have a direct link to 1.2.1. My pre hasn't made a backup yet of the palm profile. Perhaps it hasnt had the chance to mess up my cloud backup.

I'm checking my laptop now.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Thanks but yeah.. it takes you to 1.3.1. Appreciate the effort though.

I found what I believe is 1.2.1 but.. it lets you accept the agreement and does the system check-up but.. when it's time to hit "next" so that it starts the process.. the button is greyed out. Tried on both PC and laptop. This is absurd of Palm! I'm not a hater. I love my pre and the service but this can't be happening. This is a big deal to me and others, I'm sure! Absolute BS!
    Thanks but yeah.. it takes you to 1.3.1. Appreciate the effort though.

I found what I believe is 1.2.1 but.. it lets you accept the agreement and does the system check-up but.. when it's time to hit "next" so that it starts the process.. the button is greyed out. Tried on both PC and laptop. This is absurd of Palm! I'm not a hater. I love my pre and the service but this can't be happening. This is a big deal to me and others, I'm sure! Absolute BS!
    Try to follow these instructions to get webosdoctor to work:

1) Remove the battery
    2) Press and hold the volume up button
    3) Plug the USB charging cable into the wall charger, and insert the USB cable into the Pre.(you will see a picture of a battery and a question mark at this point)
    4) Insert the battery.
    5) Release the volume up button.

At this point, you will see a full-screen "USB" symbol, instead of the normal small USB symbol over a picture of the Pre. DO NOT CONNECT THE PRE TO YOUR PC YET. Once the webOS Doctor asks you to plug in the Pre, take the USB cable out of the wall charger, and plug it into your USB port on the PC. The "Found New Hardware" wizard will run, installing "Novacom" drivers. After that completes, the "Next" button will light up in webOS Doctor, and allow you to finish repairing your device.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Trying now. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    It's in the process now but .. I did inadvertently find another method to the above directions. Instead of doing the wallcharger stuff..

power down the pre
    plug the pre into the pc
    start webdoctor
    turn on the phone while holding the volume up key (you'll get the big usb pic)
    when the "next" button on the webdoctors is lit.. hit "Next".
    once it starts the process... release the volume up button
    It will lock on and the process continues.

We'll see if all this was even worth it. My contacts better be in tact or I'm going to go apesht on some poor CSR!
    I also lost my contacts after swapping out my Pre for my 5th (read FIFTH!) phone. I spent hours on the phone with Palm and Sprint with no resolution.

Who here knows law. Why can't we get a Class Action Lawsuit rolling? Palm isn't going to acknowledge this issue until there is a threat of litigation.