Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I had to doctor my PRE and when i logged into my palm profile to restore my data, it only restored 9 of my palm contacts. I had hundreds saved. Has anyonene experienced this before and is there something I havent done to fix this.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I to am waiting for a call from Palm on this issue. I can not get the facebook sync to work either so it will not pull those contacts.
    Palm is aware of the problem and are working on it.
    The question is what caused the problem in the first place? Will anyone reseting their Pre have this problem?
    you could do what sprint told me to do when only 2 of my contacts restored, get a pen and paper and copy them by hand. i even talked to someone from palm and they told me they were all there, but couldnt send them to me.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    first off, palm tech support is horrible
    i got my replacement pre
    i updated to 1.3
    some, mostly all of my normal contacts that my palm profile had are missing
    ive used the palm profile in the past and it worked fine.
    not sure what the issue is, and palm is no help

anyone have the same issue
    In answer to your question... yes.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...acts-lost.html

It seems so far that the only cure is prevention, by backing up your contacts in some way other than the Palm backup BEFORE Doctoring/erasing/replacing your phone. I have not heard of anyone recovering their lost contacts from the Palm Profile as of yet.

Sorry.
    You can console yourself wiht the fact that you're not alone...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...acts-lost.html

... but I doubt that makes you feel much better. Hopefully Palm will find a solution and be able to replace the data, but I wouldn't hold your breath. :\
    <merged again>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If I'm reading these posts correctly, it appears Palm might be having trouble making sure their backups are forwards-compatible.

So, your Pre does a backup using webOS 1.3.1. You doctor it back to webOS 1.2.1, it downloads the backup, and thinks most of the backup is corrupted. Palm probably changed the backup structure in some way between versions, and webOS 1.2.1 can no longer understand it. It overwrites your "bad" backup, and away goes your contacts. Palm apparently only keeps the most recent backup, and not a running list of backups.

A possible solution for those doing a Doctor on their webOS 1.3.1 phone (at least until the 1.3.1 webOS Doctor is actually delivered):
    1) Doctor your phone to webOS 1.2.1.
    2) Create a new Palm profile.
    3) Update the device to webOS 1.3.1.
    4) Perform a full erase.
    5) Login to your actual Palm profile.

Let me know if what I'm spewing is wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I do not believe that the issue has to do with the version of the OS. Saturday the 14th I decided to do a partial erase just to see if it would speed things up a bit. This was before I even realized 1.3.1 was out. After it completed the erase and I logged back into the phone and I noticed all of my contacts were gone. I am still without any contacts and Palm's tech support won't say a damn word to me aside from "there is a ticket and we have no time frame on any information"
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Long story short, my old palm pre broke so I got a new one. Sooo I just activated my phone through the sprint website and now only a few of my contacts are showing up. Is there something I can do??? Or is it just a waiting game?? Help ASAP please!!! I need these numbers
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, it may be a lost cause. I am on day 5 with no contacts and Palm won't tell us anything. I suggest trying to rebuild your contact list by hand somewhere safe for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by adnan31589 View Post
    Long story short, my old palm pre broke so I got a new one. Sooo I just activated my phone through the sprint website and now only a few of my contacts are showing up. Is there something I can do??? Or is it just a waiting game?? Help ASAP please!!! I need these numbers
    Same exact thing happened to me, I lost over 700 numbers because of Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by adnan31589 View Post
    Adnan, do you have your old Pre? If so, take it to a Sprint store and see if they can manually transfer the contacts to google for you!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Possible soution for all of your out there that had to replace your Pres:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...asier-way.html

Quote Originally Posted by benjio View Post
    Ok first, this process sounds difficult but it should go fairly smoothly, provided you have a sprint store (that's not full of ***** employees) nearby. I work as a repair tech at a sprint store and have done this many times and KNOW it works.

First you need to take your Pre/Pixi into a Sprint store and explain to the employee what you need to do. Hopefully he/she won't be completely mesmerized by your request.

MAKE SURE YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR GMAIL/YAHOO ACCOUNT SET UP AS YOUR DEFAULT CONTACTS ACCOUNT WHEN YOU GO IN.

At the store, they should have a device called a Cellebrite, that is used to transfer contacts from one phone to another. I assume every Sprint store out there has one.. I have been to a great many (both corporate and indirect) and EVERY ONE has had one of these.

All you need the employee to do is setup the Cellebrite to transfer from one Pre to another, and use your device on both the sending and receiving end of it.

After the device is unplugged from the Cellebrite, it will prompt you to upload your contacts to one of your contacts accounts. CHOOSE GOOGLE!!!! Leave your phone alone for a while so it can upload your information.

Now leave the store, go home, log onto your Gmail and look at all of your glorious contacts! You might have some duplicates if some contacts were already in your Google account before, but they are easy to get rid of from your computer.

You will probably also have duplicate contacts in your phone. To remedy this, you will need to delete everything from your palm profile, by going to the 'Backup' icon and turning it off. Confirm to delete the information when prompted. Now perform a partial reset, log back into your profile and DONE!!

I know this may sound like a pain, having to go into a Sprint store, and a partial reset, but trust me, it is endlessly easier than the 'other method' (having to root, export and convert PalmDatabase.db3 file)...

Let me know if this helps!!!

I have been working with Palm and Sprint for 2 days and still know contacts. I just spent 5 hours hand typing them all into Goggle. The crazy thing is that is what the Palm rep told me to do as a resolution to my problem. I *****ed so much at the sprint store they are replacing my PRE with the HTC Hero. So I am saying good by to Palm and hello to Goggle. That is what the Palm tech support suggested any how. I can't believe that was the remedy to the huge problem they have on their hands.
    I'm also having this issue.

I am not pleased they haven't fixed this.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Their is an issue with exchanging the Pre for a new one. First you need to make sure that you are running the most current version of software 1.3.1 for those who don't know. If you get a new phone it needs to be running 1.3.1 if it isn't and it has and older version it is causing people to loose their info. The store should have a dummy gmail account to activate on the phone with amd make sure it is running current SW. If it is not they need to update the SW on that handset to 1.3.1 than hard reset the phone and finally let you enter your login info. Also your info is your responsibility if its important to you have it saved in more than one place. Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i just randomly checked my backup and it hadn't been updated since 11/3. the problem might be that the latest backup isnt recent.
    sorry to lengthen this thread, but i was under the impression that the pre backs your contacts up and then reinstalls them. did i miss something when i first synced my phone so that it wouldn't back it up every 24 hours? the sprint store still has my phone, has anybody gone to the store and have that cellebrate done? does it work? i feel like calling palm is a waste of time considering the majority of people seem to have been put on stand by for weeks at a time. thanks for the help! appreciate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosugesan View Post
    sorry to lengthen this thread, but i was under the impression that the pre backs your contacts up and then reinstalls them. did i miss something when i first synced my phone so that it wouldn't back it up every 24 hours? the sprint store still has my phone, has anybody gone to the store and have that cellebrate done? does it work? i feel like calling palm is a waste of time considering the majority of people seem to have been put on stand by for weeks at a time. thanks for the help! appreciate it!

I don't think palm "re-installs" your contacts from the Palm profile. It backs up the contacts you already have to your Palm profile...basically it is a one-way sync or backup from your Pre to the palm profile. THe profile only reinstalls your contacts when you restore a Pre from a factor state etc...that is it is SUPPOSED to do that.

I can't stress enough to users after all these issues with the Palm profile to NOT RELY on the service as their primary tool for backing up their PIM. It is simply much more reliable to sync to google in my opinion. IF you do not want to sync all your data to google/cloud for security reasons or whatever, then you probably should invest in companionlink for desktop sync:
    Palm webOS sync
    Yes it sux that Palm doesn't offer a reliable desktop sync solution, and that their online backup service is not reliable, but if you want to stick to this platform those are basically your only options. Hopefully Palm is reading this thread and will change things soon, because as already been discussed elsewhere around here...most users here are not fanatics, only fans and will not stay with a company that does not correct errors like this...