Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Same problem here. I had consistent problems with Sprint Navigation almost never being able to find it's "current location". Always when I was needing it the most. Went to Sprint store and they said the best way to fix it was to use a "hard reset". I'd lose only my pictures and "non Palm Store applications". Okay so I did. Now my accounts were set to back up to Palm profile, Facebook, Yahoo, and Gmail. After reset all of the accounts except for the two sprint contact numbers were gone. Had to reset my Palm profile password since I forgot it but still nothing.

Called Sprint.........Nada....... Was told to call Palm support... After 5 minutes and being told that they'd "waive the support charge even though it'd been over 30 days" they had me do another partial reset. Nada......... Then said they'd have level 3 call me.......... 5 days no call.

Okay back to my Gmail account and Yahoo account which had various degrees of completeness and matching. So exported my Outlook express from work to a CVS file and imported to both Yahoo and Gmail. Spent a few days making sure old numbers were out, that replications were dealt with etc.

Now even with Palm Profile as default I have only 4 contacts in that one. Yahoo and Gmail all have over 130. Tried backup, tried syncing and nothing backs up to that supposedly "superior cloud backup" that is trouble free.

Fortunatly I had as many as I did in Outlook which I'd purchased before when I had a phone that would backup to outlook and I didn't trust Sprint's address book.

I trusted the Palm Cloud........Shame on me. And to other's points if we can't trust what they purport as the next best thing and that's our only option then why make it the default?

Also I can update my Gmail and Yahoo and the resync all accounts and the new numbers don't show up on my Palm. Their whole "Syncing" option sucks.

Also I'm not a Pre basher. Up till now the only issue was the spotty Navigation issue which still appears to be there after all this headache with contacts.

Still not comfortable that my contact info is safe, recoverable, or trustworthy even if I don't use that Palm Profile doohicky.........

RoyG
    Kansas City
    I can join in with the others and confirm via a 40 minute phone call with Palm Level 2 Tech Support that this was a server error on their end and there is NO way to retrieve the data. They are offering a free accessory upon request. :/
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Did you update your profile before the partial erase ?
    I did a backup right before I used WebOS doctor.
    Also lost all my contacts..heres my story

with webosdoctor did a fresh install upgraded to 1.3.1 logged into my palm profile..apps loaded saved bookmarks everything else EXCEPT contacts..i did a partial reset logged into my palm profile again and this time 7 contacts loaded..sigh

total screw up
    My phone contacts were lost as well. Tried webos doctor twice, just to see if a second chance at restoring the backup would work, no luck. I didn't lose much since most is google synced but this is still annoying.

From all these previous posts, I feel it's not even worth it to call Palm.
    i wasnt offer and accessory.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bugeye41510 View Post
    i wasnt offer and accessory.
    Ask for Level 3. If they don't do it, ask for corporate. I just got my Touchstone shipped email.
    as an update - I am calling Palm, if only to log another complaint. They said they are waiving the phone support fee at this time for everyone...sounds like they're getting a lot of calls?
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    They don't have a ton, but it's a good amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by RnC_Forever View Post
    So its been nearly 30 days now since my initial loss. PALM just had a representative call me to state that they have none of my information on their server and that everything appears to have been lost!

I HATE MY PRE!!!!

Unfortunately i will have to deal with it for the next two years, I'm about to be on my third one, i can only imagine how many i will have over the next 24 months...
    We should start a thread of "what did you do with your pre when your contacts/memos didn't transfer over"

I personally was this close... ..to playing hockey w the darn thing!!! It's black, it will slide on ice, why not!!! piece of shn1t pre...you better get this straight next time!!! My wife is getting Pixie, I might take her blackberry in the meantime...I've lost my patience w the Pre...

IDEA AND ADVICE: go to gmail, log in and EXPORT your contacts....then import into phone... that's what I did...now have 138 out of 375 that I intially had before update 1.3.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Ask for Level 3. If they don't do it, ask for corporate. I just got my Touchstone shipped email.
    i did he kept putting me on hold and he was like "were ganna work hard around the clock to get this issue resolve" imma call back 2marrow
    Same thing happen to me. I was told by palm consider ALL YOUR CONTACTS LOST. I spend over 3 hr on the phone with the various levels of tech support and then was sent there Corporate Customer Relations and and was told there is no way to get you contacts back. I HAD over 600 +. They gave a touch stone for my troubles. Bull ****. But i did get sprint to send me a new phone.. (Samsung Monment). I will never buy a palm again.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Been there, done that, lost all my contacts. Freakin ****ed.
    hey guys, after doing the webos doctor, then updating to 1.3.1, then doing the partial erase, then re-syncing. my contacts were restored.

i'm still going through the list to make sure everyone is there, but this was def better then before.
    same thing happened to me last night and only 2 sprint contacts...effin bs
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by pitasoup View Post
    hey guys, after doing the webos doctor, then updating to 1.3.1, then doing the partial erase, then re-syncing. my contacts were restored.

i'm still going through the list to make sure everyone is there, but this was def better then before.
    ur contacts r restored?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

i think i'm missing a couple of numbers. perhaps it is an older backup? but yes, most of my non-gmail, on-phone-only contacts were restored.
    I lost all Palm Profile contacts (except the two Sprint ones!) in the update as well. I did have them synced to Google, thankfully, and had exported to a .csv file just in case Google failed.

Okay, all that said, I am *really* disappointed in Palm. What sold me on the Pre was my previous good experiences with various Palm devices, and the promise (yes, that's what it seemed like at the Sprint store) that my data would always be backed up and available to me. I knew that there were limitations to what was backed up, but I am shocked that they managed to fail so miserably at one of the most fundamental features of the phone.

I like to tweak and patch and experiment, so I haven't felt like the phone was lacking in any substantial way. In fact, I've learned a lot of new things and have enjoyed the giant playground that is webOS. But losing data? That just seems like a betrayal of trust to me.
    this should be a story. Derek? Anyone?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    You guys should really raise a stink about this. Compile the data and send it to engadget and other large blog sites. When MS lost the Sidekick data they managed to get it back because they were motivated by the bad press. Maybe even consider a class action lawsuit?