Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    ---Double post because of thread merge---
    what's that cost to them $5? tmobile was giving credit for losing data with their sidekicks. Contacts I would think are much more important... especially for the business people.

I would think a credit would be better so that people can use the credit to buy something like

Sync CRM and PIM data with iPhone, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Google, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS - CompanionLink Software

i am just sold on clouds yet whether its google or mobileme or whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    A free touchstone are you kidding me? Man.... I think i'm going to lose my contacts.. Lol
    ---Double post because of thread merge---
    lost all my contacts.

after a support chat with palm and a partial erase and resync... no dice... 9 years of contacts down the flusher...

Palm escalated my support incident and will be getting back to me today.
    Quote Originally Posted by icesalmon View Post
    I just did a partial erase. Palm profile lost most of my contacts, memos, tasks, and calendar appointments. That happened to quite a few other people too.
    I don't know how widespread is the problem, but beware.
    Did you update your profile before the partial erase ?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    This happened to me too over the weekend, still waiting on level 3 support to call me back. I lost all of my memos & tasks, only things that got restored were apps, bookmarks and the email account addresses but not the server settings. This is very frustrating!
    Just some quick questions. Why did you perform a partial erase or full erase? Don't you sync this stuff to google or outlook/exchange? Your Pre should only have to pull in the info..
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    @cardfan: In my case, contacts and calendar are synced to google so there was no issue with that. But as with everyone else who owns a Pre, tasks and memos can only be synced to the Palm Profile and there lies my problem. I lost all of THAT info that I've added since getting the Pre in June, the ones that I have in my Outlook are memos and tasks from before June. Oh yeah, I saw the doctor because my update app would not work for days so I was unable to get the 1.3.1 update but now I'm stuck with this problem.
    I'm also waiting on L3 tech support, but i was told to change the option to google by opening the contacts card taping on the contact option upper left hand corner /preferences & Accounts tap under default account and change it to google that way all your information you create will be saved on your google account.
    I am having ghe same problem right now with palm. All my contacts are gone! This is b.s!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    i did this yesterday and i lost all my contacts :@
    happened to me too
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    in all fairness, YOU should be responsible for YOUR data. [snip] No say this is Palm's fault. Hardware fails and consumers need to be more educated about it. IMHO
    Really? Wait, I mean ... **REALLY**?!?!?! OK, point me to the Palm Pre feature where you can synchronize everything from the Pre to a computer where you can back it up, and your point will be valid. Palm gives us this device with "backup in the cloud" and with no other backup options. If the cloud fails -- as it evidently does for many -- then what recourse are we supposed to have when there is no other mechanism provided to use to back up our data?

When you're talking about a desktop or laptop -- where there are hundreds if not thousands of options available for backup -- your point is valid. But not for the Palm Pre.
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Actually, the functionality wasn't a secret. If you didn't agree with how Palm was implementing the cloud's functionality, you were not forced to buy a Pre.
    Wow, talk about being an apologist! So it's perfectly reasonable to create substandard hardware or software as long as you don't force people to buy your products? I haven't had problems with my Pre so far, but too many people have had these problems. If Palm only provided desktop sync like all previous Palm models had, this would be a total non-issue.

Alternately, if Palm's cloud backup backed up everything (which it doesn't do today) and it it was near flawless (which it is not) and if there was online access to our profile so we could back it up ourselves (which is not possible), the cloud solution would be almost acceptable as a 100% substitute to a sync to a desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekuns View Post
    Really? Wait, I mean ... **REALLY**?!?!?! OK, point me to the Palm Pre feature where you can synchronize everything from the Pre to a computer where you can back it up, and your point will be valid. Palm gives us this device with "backup in the cloud" and with no other backup options. If the cloud fails -- as it evidently does for many -- then what recourse are we supposed to have when there is no other mechanism provided to use to back up our data?

When you're talking about a desktop or laptop -- where there are hundreds if not thousands of options available for backup -- your point is valid. But not for the Palm Pre.
    EXCELLENT POINT!! Palm gives NO options to backup your data out the box...no integrated desktop synchronization and no ability to export your PIM data out of Palm profile into google etc without 3rd party support. Thus is you buy this phone and rely on their service for backup and LOSE ALL YOUR DATA, it is squarely their responsibility!!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I had auto backup everyday and I did a backup right before the erase.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    ^ Some of us (myself) don't know how to do what you suggest. :/
    It's fairly simple if you have WebOSQuickInstall. If you don't, you'll need to (or you'll need to "root").

If you don't have WOSQI go here first: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html

Using QI, you can use the "Receive File" option to copy the /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to your computer. Then, after the Partial Erase/Full Erase/Doctor, you can use the "Delete File/Directory" option to erase the new .db3 file, and then use the "Send File" option to send your saved .db3 file to the /var/luna/data/dbdata/ directory. Reboot (I take this opportunity to turn DEV mode off) and you're all set.

Keep in mind this probably only works after a Dr. if you doctored to the same WebOS version you had before. I wouldn't recommend putting a .db3 file from one version into the directory of another version. Although, I have no idea if this would work or not, I will not be the one to test it.
    <merged multiple thread to make one master thread here about topic. Also edited title>