1.    #1  
    I just had my 3rd battery installed and I've only had the Pre for 2.5 months. Anyone else having similar problems??
    Are you consistently draining the battery or keeping it charged/topped off as the manual suggests?

If you follow the manual you and your battery will become best friends
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Are these the stock batteries or one of the extended ones? Either way, I agree with scrup that you need to charge up the battery and then drain it all the way down, bout 10%, then recharge it fully. Once that is done, it calibrates the battery and then once you break it in for a week or so, charging it up and then letting it get to different levels and then charging it back to full, you shouldn't have any issues with it.

You could have gotten a bad battery but I would be interested to see what your charging habits are.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Charge mine every day, rarely does it go below 30-40% before a charge. Battery life has been better then my centro (which used the same battery), I was shocked. Batt life was rough with centro, with all the talk I expected this to be worse.
    my battery is starting to get better. i've fully drained it and recharged about 5 or 6 times (:
    first week i had bad battery, after you give it a good run, it works just fine. last all day now.
    ps i think at first everyone was on the phone non stop and the battery seemed like it lasted less, it probably lasted the same amount. we just use it a little less just a thought
    I upgraded my battery to the 1350 mahr one.
    Took about a week to get it broken in. Drained to about 5 or 10% a couple of times and made sure to turn the phone off at least once a day.
    the charger turns it back on, but at least there is no residual programs sucking power and it should to a soft reset of the phone when turned off.
    Now my batteries last from 7am till 2am with about 30-40% charge and very light usage. medium usage (an hour on phone, check email a dozen or more times, browse the net for an hour, etc) typically gets me down to about 30% at 5 pm or so.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithhw3 View Post
    I just had my 3rd battery installed and I've only had the Pre for 2.5 months. Anyone else having similar problems??
    It takes a few weeks for your battery to train itself. If you've had 3 batteries in 2 1/2 months, you're not giving them enough time.

Yesterday I went from 9am to 5pm and only got down to 77%.

Today, I went from 8am to 2pm, and it's down to 56%.

Just depends how much you use it. I don't think there's anything wrong with your batteries.
  9.    #9  
    I fully charged then fully drained 1st time. I charge it every night. I'm probably a light user- never drains much. But these each died- meaning- PRE did not turn on at all- nothing. Take batt out a few minutes (as did the Sprint tech), re-install-nothing. Have done this twice in 2.5 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithhw3 View Post
    I fully charged then fully drained 1st time. I charge it every night. I'm probably a light user- never drains much. But these each died- meaning- PRE did not turn on at all- nothing. Take batt out a few minutes (as did the Sprint tech), re-install-nothing. Have done this twice in 2.5 months.
    When they die all the way, even if u have it plugged into the wall u have to let it charge for 10 or so min before it will even turn on while being plugged in. but maybe urs were defective.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    It takes a few weeks for your battery to train itself. If you've had 3 batteries in 2 1/2 months, you're not giving them enough time.

Yesterday I went from 9am to 5pm and only got down to 77%.

Today, I went from 8am to 2pm, and it's down to 56%.

Just depends how much you use it. I don't think there's anything wrong with your batteries.
    I agree, it all depends on how you use it. I can kill the battery in a couple hours or it could last a couple days. Not that I can keep my hands off of the Pre long enough to get a couple days out of it but that is not the point.

Hey, at least we can swap batteries or get a bigger or higher capacity batteries.
    The Stock batt. is pretty rubbish that's for sure. I expected it vs my Rumor 2, but not this much.
    took mine off the charger today at 9:30 AM. Made two ten minute phone calls. Right now it's 2:23 and it's at 17%. It's becoming an issue.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    It takes a few weeks for your battery to train itself.
    isn't the palm using a Lithium ion battery? Those don't suffer from memory effect and you should not need to train the battery - a near full (but not full) discharge every 30 cycles (which is not 30 recharges) is sometimes recommended for calibration but the idea of training does not apply.