Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. JRH
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    I dig my Pre!!!
    With the addition of the OS 1.2 (leak) it's way better: just the email search and decent copy/paste go a huge way to make it more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by minister View Post
    I have to be completely honest -- the phone just didn't feel good at all to me. It didn't seem very solid. I also thought that the screen felt really flimsy. After playing with the display unit for a while, I was able to figure out all the gestures and necessary movements for the phone.

However, after getting it into web browser mode (it took several attempts, it wouldn't load the web...and I live in Houston, a pretty big Sprint town), I noticed real problems with the accelerometer. It wouldn't rotate to go into landscape view, and when I gave up on it and turned it back to portrait view, THEN it went into landscape view.
    Any advice?
    Well, the "flimsy" is what it is. The following advice has more to do with the browser, and the connectivity.

Ask to see a different device in the same store, that has internet capabilities. Frequently, Retail stores are poor locations for wireless use (ironic, I know). The things that are standard in a an electronics retail outlet make for a bad cell connection. See if other devices are able to connect.

The accelerometer "issue" I've seen frequently when a page isn't finished loading. You change the display orientation while the page is loading, and it doesn't rotate until the page has finished loading. This would also make sense if you were in a poor reception area.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I did not like my Pre at first, but now I can't let go of my phone because of all the cool new stuff that has come out for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The accelerometer "issue" I've seen frequently when a page isn't finished loading. You change the display orientation while the page is loading, and it doesn't rotate until the page has finished loading. This would also make sense if you were in a poor reception area.
    Also, I find that the phone must be perpendicular to the ground when changing position, in order for the accelerometer to function properly.
    Can You Dig IT ......lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Phones is really boring without the homebrew apps. It lacks in functionability, but the OS should be up to speed in a few months to a year. There are build issues and the phones have numerous phone. I'm just keeping mine til November. I suggest you wait for the Hero...at least try it first...
    "The Pre is nice..."
    Im a pre person all the way...

but wait until the hero comes out so you can try them out side by side...its only fair to give the hero a shot since it is so close to its release date...that is if you dont mind a virtual keyboard...
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Well, the "flimsy" is what it is. The following advice has more to do with the browser, and the connectivity.

Ask to see a different device in the same store, that has internet capabilities. Frequently, Retail stores are poor locations for wireless use (ironic, I know). The things that are standard in a an electronics retail outlet make for a bad cell connection. See if other devices are able to connect.

I actually pulled out my Centro running on T-mobile (which has a poorer reception area here than Sprint), and I had full bars.

To clarify about the accelerometer, it was actually on the web browser launch screen, or whatever its called. It was however hanging quite badly.

I think I will wait the Hero comes out, and at least try it. I don't mind the virtual keyboard. At least, I have used the iPhone keyboard with no trouble. In fact, I probably would go with an iPhone if they weren't so daggum expensive for the monthly plans.

I have a 15% off through my gym membership for T-mobile. Anyone think Sprint or AT&T would honor it?
    Originally posted by minister:
    I have a 15% off through my gym membership for T-mobile. Anyone think Sprint or AT&T would honor it?
    Read the instructions on the Alliant thread. Join the Credit Union and get 25% off.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Iphone. Don't hate me. It just fits me more. The Pre has the potential to be a great device, but regardless of how great a product is, name recognition drives the product. Palm has lost theirs, and Sprint seems to have a bad rep wherever I go. While I know neither of those are true, not many people research too deeply what they buy, they just want something they've heard of. You'd be surprised at how many people never heard of the Pre when I mentioned it to them.

Regardless, the Iphone works well for me and my lifestyle. It has plenty of great features on it that help me in my ministry job. I live in Houston, so I have 3g wherever I go, and we're slated to be one of the first of 6 cities that will get the new speed when AT&T stop dragging their feet.

When I flip off the 3g, I seem to have pretty consistent Edge, which is fine by me as well. Patience is a virtue. Enjoy your Pres everyone, and I will monitor this site closely, as it is one my favorites!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234