Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    ...or put another way, if you're not a spaz...
    Thank you. I meant to say that it's unsuitable for a business user because of the calendar, broken notifications and alarm. Also some luck is needed to get a problem free device (getting my 6th today), and copious amounts of patience.

I can continue, but I'm preparing myself for 1.2 and trying to be positive.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I love my Pre. I hope it is going to be long-term relationship .
    As in any relationship, there were some difficult moments (like when I added 3 huge e-mail accounts and set them to synchronize when new mail arrives - huge mistake from battery life point of view), but some patience and reality check smoothed problems out.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Okay, you wanted a fresh honest opinion that you can relate to. Here it is. I am very much like Tcub above. I came away and fell in love with the first iPhone that came out and was the original sucker to shell out $499 for it (2g). It was my first non-Blackberry smartphone. The iphone was incredible. When I bought the 3g it was the service upgrade that was necessary to make the phone really usable. But that was it. The current iPhone (3GS) has not changed much since the 2g. Some performance upgrades, but for a software company like Apple, it was becoming stagnant. The apps are what it is living on now. Pre will be no different soon enough as developers will come quick to its platform.

THEN I saw the Pre. I was floored. I couldn't believe the things it was set up to do. I am in your same boat. I am waiting til October to buy a Pre. My contract with ATT runs out and I will be making the jump for many reasons.

The first reason is the multi-tasking. This feature alone overrides many of its faults and many of the iphone's pros.

The second reason is the improved network, and the awesome mobile to mobile contract.

The third reason is the hardware itself. I have heard people whine about it, but I think it is the most comfortable little pebble I have held. It is small, compact, and NO the edges won't cut you. I like the edges, as they give me the contact I need to work with the phone without looking directly at it.

My thoughts are for you to continually stop by the Sprint store and play with it. I have been so many times, I know the register guy, Chris, by heart.

Three things I will miss:
    1. Visual Voicemail rocks. I am hoping there is no patent, and everyone should have it. It is great!

2. The virtual keyboard. The recognition software on the iPhone is wonderful, and makes you a faster typer. However, I feel this can equal itself in time with more familiarity and time on the Qwerty keyboard of the Pre.

3. Since I am a Mac user, the synergy of the iPhone to Leopard is seemless. Although, I feel that the gmail account may come close to leveling the field a bit.

Finally, keep reading the posts and take your time. It is your decision like mine. I know I will get the Pre. I just feel that keeping up on the forums here, I am better prepared for it. The complaints keep me realistic. I know it won't make my life a better place, but may provide some more fun in it!

The phone rocks but its the Touchstone alerts that get me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Thank you. I meant to say that it's unsuitable for a business user because of the calendar, broken notifications and alarm. Also some luck is needed to get a problem free device (getting my 6th today), and copious amounts of patience.

Mine replaced my BB, on the account that is paid for by my firm, that I use to keep myself tethered to both my personal and business contacts, meetings and events every day of the week, weekends included. The only thing it lacks with reference to my BB is the ability to set my Out Of Office remotely and a battery that held out for 3 days. In every other way, in my use, it's significantly better than my BB ever was for keeping me connected to business.

I've carried it unprotected in my jeans pocket since June 8th, without it exploding, cracking or melting down, and my wife has had hers for nearly two months now without a single issue - other than the battery being constantly drained since she never puts it down. Pictures on request.

Your experience, is your experience. And the backhanded implication that anyone who is happy with their device either doesn't share your discriminating tastes or just uses it "casually" is just your opinion.

And you're welcome.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post

But that's the main thing I'm looking for is a good calendar function with notifications, etc. Does that mean I should steer away from the Pre?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    so does anyone have any other comments about calendar/scheduling issues with the Pre? What seems to be the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by minister View Post
    so does anyone have any other comments about calendar/scheduling issues with the Pre? What seems to be the problem?
    I think the main issues I've read here are that it's slow and that you can't add attendees to meetings on the device.

As far as speed issues, I didn't have any at all until I added a Google calendar, and even then I don't consider it "broken". If I could post a video of it here I would.

And for adding attendees to meetings; I personally don't schedule a lot of meetings and have never had the occassion to actually do that while mobile. Not even when I had my BB. If I did, I could see how that would be frustrating, but I don't.

I have no idea what the reference to notifications is about.

I doubt that it covers them all, but if you do a search I know there were a few calendar threads here.
    Here's a testimonial for you :

I am currently on my 5th Pre, awaiting the arrival of the 6th (thankfully I haven't had to pay for any of the swapouts). I got my original phone on launch day and have since exchanged it through Sprint AND through Palm many times for many issues. But, despite that, I still love this phone and I want no other. I don't care how many times I have to swap it out, I love the Pre, and I love webOS. This is the mobile OS I've been waiting for for years.. highly functional and actually FUN to use.

I know many people tout multitasking as the crown jewel of webOS/Pre, but I would say, for me, that the non-modal notifications are tied for #1. After coming from phones where notifications interrupted everything I did, having that notification area that doesn't bug me is an absolutely priceless feature that I would NEVER want to be without on a smartphone ever again. I can't stress that enough.. once you experience notifications webOS-style, everything else seems archaic.
  10. lvd
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    i forgot to add the best part: when you set the phone on silent, there isn't a shutter sound for the camera! stealth photography ftw
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Had mine since launch, was first person in line. There are definite improvements that need to be made, like as bad as it sounds, the phone app is not good. But I cannot imagine using any other phone besides this one. EVERYTHING else just feels so archaic. I cannot imagine not having multitasking. OMG, it would suck.
    I currently don't have a PRE but I might make the switch in a few day.
    Currently using a blackberry bold. Just wondering about the phone app.
    welance stated the phone app isn't that good. Does anyone else feel that way.
    Just wondering what's wrong with it.
    Loving my Pre! With the app catalog next week it'll be even better!
    I had first smart phone, although it wasn't called that. til now had all Smart phones. I love my pre, it isn't without fault, but none of them have. For true productivity it is awesome. Honestly I high dislike my iphone as a phone, cool toy. Today a guy who stuck with his iphone said to me "well I get some reception now, and email is a bit quicker" lol.

Pre does what it is supposed to, it is a productive phone. The additional apps will come and they will do much more than other phones. Palms always have. No one get's that, like when the iphone or black berries release, the press touts these functions that are "new" that the Treos have been doing for 10 years. Video, push email, tethering, syncing... I love my pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by eyecanmakeamess View Post
    I currently don't have a PRE but I might make the switch in a few day.
    Currently using a blackberry bold. Just wondering about the phone app.
    welance stated the phone app isn't that good. Does anyone else feel that way.
    Just wondering what's wrong with it.
    i switched from a bold and after have 4 crappy quality pre's im back to AT&T with my bold and couldn't be happier so you may want to rethink your decision to switch...
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    i switched from a bold and after have 4 crappy quality pre's im back to AT&T with my bold and couldn't be happier so you may want to rethink your decision to switch...
    Thanks for the heads up josh. Was it just PRE that made you switch back or was it the sprint service. Or a combination of both. Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by minister View Post
    But that's the main thing I'm looking for is a good calendar function with notifications, etc. Does that mean I should steer away from the Pre?
    Sorry, missed it yesterday.

The calendar is unusable in a business context. It's just fine if you're sitting and deciding what you're going to do next week, entering an event here and there, and sync with Google. Not a problem.

But when you're facing someone and you are both trying to decide on a series of upcoming meetings or reschedule existing ones, that's where problems begin.

People say it's slow, and others say, so what, it's all relative, just take it slow. But here you have to keep up with another person, and they may be talking to you on the phone and cann't see that you are struggling to enter everything that's being discussed and are falling behind. And worse, you enter wrong dates and hours, which is very easy to do on the Pre. The widget that selects the date and time does not show you day names, only numbers, and you cannot preview what a particular day looks like, and the Pre does not warn you of conflicts (you may even have a conflict with a calendar that's currently hidden). And paging to individual days is very slow.

Further, the date and time widget has scrolling wheels that are "physics enabled". That is, they have inertia, even though the number of items in them doesn't justify it. Those scrolling wheels are very fiddly and error prone, you barely touch them and they roll past your day, and then you try to swipe down, and again miss until finally you snag the entry you wanted.

All this can be done with some practice and patience, and some may think that the inertia on the scrolling wheels is slick. But in a business settings, you simply cannot sit there in front of other people and fumble around. It looks unprofessional, and doubly so if you enter the wrong date and miss an appointment.

So we have a UI that's too slow for moving between day views, and too fast when selecting with scrolling wheels. And it's just maddening and makes you look bad. I've had a person who writes everything down in a notebook email me later with the list of meetings we agreed on, "just in case", because they saw me get it wrong before with the Pre.

Then there is the matter of notifications and alarms. They mostly work, but not always. They may not work occasionally, but these are things that have to work always in an organizer.

The worst example is setting your alarm clock, only to wake up in the morning and find that it didn't sound off because it's still waiting for you to dismiss a notification first (an SMS or email that came through the night). There are more problem with the alarm, this is not the only one.

When you are at a meeting that you entered as a recurring event, and need to update the same meeting (that is, while the event is in progress), the Pre goes nuts. It will start ringing all the reminders for the new event time, in a series and in random intervals, as if you were late to the new date. First reminder, which BTW, is obnoxiously loud and non-configurable on the Pre, is forgiven by others in the room. Then another comes, and another and finally you just turn the ringer off (you don't want to, because the Pre vibration is barely noticeable) and everyone is wondering what the hell are you doing with the phone and why are you interrupting everyone. It looks unprofessional.

And you can't undo edits. I was trying to copy someone's address and accidentally hit V (paste) instead of C (copy) and the address was gone. I did this so I can enter it into the Sprint Navigation app (which cannot access your address book!). So now I was on my way, with no address and no navigation, and I arrived late.

They say that update 1.2 will fix many of those problems. I hope so. Maybe you should wait until it's out and reassess.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    You have 30 days to try it out. Why bother waiting? I came from and iphone 3g and won't look back. That should give you an idea of what I think of the Pre.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    OP here. So I took about 30 minutes yesterday, finally, to go and just play around with the Pre at the store.

Just to remind everyone, I've used two smartphones -- a palm centro on both verizon and tmobile, and a blackberry curve on verizon. Other than that, I've used flip phones.

I have to be completely honest -- the phone just didn't feel good at all to me. It didn't seem very solid. I also thought that the screen felt really flimsy. After playing with the display unit for a while, I was able to figure out all the gestures and necessary movements for the phone.

However, after getting it into web browser mode (it took several attempts, it wouldn't load the web...and I live in Houston, a pretty big Sprint town), I noticed real problems with the accelerometer. It wouldn't rotate to go into landscape view, and when I gave up on it and turned it back to portrait view, THEN it went into landscape view.

I know, I know, its a demo display unit, and people are constantly playing with it. When I asked the employee about it, she said that they had actually just replaced that unit about an hour before I got in there, because the other one was non-responsive.

I just don't know if I can support a phone that appears to have so many issues with it. That's why I started this thread, to make sure people weren't having problems with their pres, but it seems like with Amazon dropping the price to $99, and Walmart going to $79, that Palm realizes this may not be the most stellar hardware available.

Should I wait and try out out the HTC Hero? It looks really good in the reviews, but I so wanted to like the Pre. If it wasn't for that 2 year commitment....

Any advice?
    minister,

I'm debating on the Pre as well. I've looked at in the store 3 times now. Last time being a few days ago. The demo I looked at was fine as far as the browser and the accelerometer. For me it does feel good in the hand.

The one thing I do agree with you on in the build quality. That and the battery life has been holding me back.

We've waited this long, in my opinion, it would be crazy not to wait another 8 days or so and look at the Hero.

Just my 2 cents.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast