Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    It's been a while since we've heard much about quality control and build issues. I'm wondering what more recent buyers have experienced and whether we're "over" the problem (if there ever really was one...)
    Originally, I had a pre with a warranty date code of 7/22/09 and it had a really bad oreo effect. It was bad enough so that when "oreo'ed" i can actually see the inside of the phone. Another thing was that it would sometimes give my a blank screen when i opened the phone.I swapped it out for another one three weeks later, and once again checked the warranty code. this one read a warranty code of 7/31/09. I havent experienced anything wrong since.
    My 3rd and final Pre has a build date of 7/26/09 and was apparently a new return (I got it myself from local Sprint techs a week ago). No refurb.

Alas, it STILL has the slider/closing battery issue even after I opened it up and inserted some paper in the battery cavity . That piece of factory foam that photographed a while back showing that Palm had made some manufacturing changes was nowhere to be found. But given that the paper I wadded in there still didn't stop the slider shutdown from happening altogether, I doubt it would've mattered.

Long story short, I'm just selling this as soon as I get my Hero on launch day. This is the worst hardware I've seen on a major smartphone in many, many moons. Tired of spinning the Palm Pre Wheel of Misfortune.
    Don't really think it is a overall issue in the first place. I have had my pre and it works GREAT. Slight wiggle in the slider but my wife has a Samsung Rant (side keybaord with way bigger slider, and it can even wiggle a bit).
    I'm exhausted from talking about this. My build was from 8/5/09. Was ROCK Solid for about 3 weeks. Now the screen is wiggly, when I touch the screen to click on something on a website, the gap between the screen and unit makes a click noise. :-( I'm getting the Pixi. I'm over this slider cr*p
    Quote Originally Posted by erleb View Post
    It's been a while since we've heard much about quality control and build issues. I'm wondering what more recent buyers have experienced and whether we're "over" the problem (if there ever really was one...)

Yeah, it's been a whole day since we've heard much about quality control and build issues.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...d-quality.html
    I've actually returned the Pre twice, and I feel like I'm going to have to again.

Here's why I returned the first 2:
    1.) Menu wouldn't come up (the screen registered the press, but the menu just wouldn't come up. Hard reset didn't help).
    2.) Noticeable Oreo effect.

And now on my third Pre, the Oreo is even worse than the second one (that I returned). So now I'm wondering, Should I return the Pre a third time, and hope the build quality is better, or should I just keep my third Pre and learn to accept the Oreo?

What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

By the way, none of the 3 Pre's were the newer, better quality builds (there was no added foam in the battery compartment). Also, I can still return the phone, seeing as I'm still within the first 30 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by prelives14 View Post
    I've actually returned the Pre twice, and I feel like I'm going to have to again.

Here's why I returned the first 2:
    1.) Menu wouldn't come up (the screen registered the press, but the menu just wouldn't come up. Hard reset didn't help).
    2.) Noticeable Oreo effect.

And now on my third Pre, the Oreo is even worse than the second one (that I returned). So now I'm wondering, Should I return the Pre a third time, and hope the build quality is better, or should I just keep my third Pre and learn to accept the Oreo?

What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

By the way, none of the 3 Pre's were the newer, better quality builds (there was no added foam in the battery compartment). Also, I can still return the phone, seeing as I'm still within the first 30 days.
    I think you are lucky to only be on number 3. I am very satisfied with the phone because of the software and do like some things about the hardware. I am just about as frustrated as one can get though and about to be on my 6th pre. Various issues on them all but at least I am not getting grief from Sprint ... yet.

In all seriousness, if you are within the 30 days you should have no problems exchanging them for a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I think you are lucky to only be on number 3. I am very satisfied with the phone because of the software and do like some things about the hardware. I am just about as frustrated as one can get though and about to be on my 6th pre. Various issues on them all but at least I am not getting grief from Sprint ... yet.

In all seriousness, if you are within the 30 days you should have no problems exchanging them for a new one.
    I'm probably going to head out to Best Buy today to exchange it. Hopefully, the same guy who exchanged it for me last time isn't there today, or it might be a little awkward. Thank you very much for the help.
    I noticed something yesterday. I have 2 batteries for my Pre. As stated above my Pre doe have a slgiht wiggle and a tiny gap which you can twist a bit. BUT NOTHING TO MAJOR.

BUT...I had one battery die on me from using Pandora too much...lol....so I put in the other one..ASAP as I did this the twist and gap lessened and pretty much went away.

So to me the gap is coming from (aside from the rare cases with the phone twists in two) from the battery bending the back casing from the front. The battery is flat from what I can tell (both of them) but maybe with the slider being curved the phone curves a bit too. So making the battery a bit warped (i guess) might help that.

Not sure...BUt...like I said depending on which battery I put in it does make a difference, and YES both batteries are the newer looking solid tab ones, and NO I dont know which one is newer then the original one I got with the Pre. Both Made in China (ugh), Cell Origin Korea (ugh)
    Interesting... I didnt know about the treocentral site... and that all of your posts get mirrored on the treocentral site.

Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    Yeah, it's been a whole day since we've heard much about quality control and build issues.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...d-quality.html
    I am on my 2nd (my first microphone didn't work out of box).

No issues at all.

Or if I want to fall in line. The screen can move left and right if I force it too....should I return it.
    /sarcasm.

but seriously, My girlfriend, myself, and two of my buddies (who got it on launch) have no issues.
    I replaced my Pre one time. After that I havent had any slider power issues or oreo issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    I noticed something yesterday. I have 2 batteries for my Pre. As stated above my Pre doe have a slgiht wiggle and a tiny gap which you can twist a bit. BUT NOTHING TO MAJOR.

BUT...I had one battery die on me from using Pandora too much...lol....so I put in the other one..ASAP as I did this the twist and gap lessened and pretty much went away.

So to me the gap is coming from (aside from the rare cases with the phone twists in two) from the battery bending the back casing from the front. The battery is flat from what I can tell (both of them) but maybe with the slider being curved the phone curves a bit too. So making the battery a bit warped (i guess) might help that.

Not sure...BUt...like I said depending on which battery I put in it does make a difference, and YES both batteries are the newer looking solid tab ones, and NO I dont know which one is newer then the original one I got with the Pre. Both Made in China (ugh), Cell Origin Korea (ugh)
    you are very right because when I use the old battery (the one that causes shutoffs) I get more wiggle then when I use the new designed battery. I came up with my own fix, it is very simple. You just put a piece of folded paper against the housing wall and tape it down. This will tighten the slider and lessen the wiggle. The thicker the piece of paper the tighter it will get.

I had a big piece of paper there and it stopped it completely but I didn't want to put to much strain on the slider. I used a smaller piece of paper and it fixed it. Really works great. I couldn't take the oreo problem. Little things like that drive me crazy.

This pic is kinda blurry but you can see what I have done
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Interesting... I didnt know about the treocentral site... and that all of your posts get mirrored on the treocentral site.
    Uhhm this is the treocentral site.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    Uhhm this is the treocentral site.
    not from where I am at...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-returns.html

unless we are at a rift between parallel universes

let me ask you... when you look a old Star Trek reruns... does your Spock have a goatee and b-slaps capt kirk all the time?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Is Sprint charging the $100 deductible on build-related returns after 30 days? My girlfriend's Pre was relatively solid when first received, but now after about 1.5 months it has a much worse Oreo effect with a large gap between front and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    not from where I am at...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-returns.html

unless we are at a rift between parallel universes

let me ask you... when you look a old Star Trek reruns... does your Spock have a goatee and b-slaps capt kirk all the time?
    I think we have broached the space-time continuum as the url shows as http://discussion.treocentral.com/ne...eply&p=1897829
    I had my original Pre from launch up to two weeks ago. It was solid and had a minor oreo until I used the super glue method to correct. All of sudden the power button broke so I had it replaced. The first replacement was really bad being that the slider was VERY loose. So I sent it back and got another one which is the best I have had so far, but I have to wonder as gentle as I am with this phone, does the power button only last for three months?
    I have had 3 phones so far. The first one, I had to have a battery replaced, but still the original phone. But it ended turning off randomly. So I got it replaced. The second phone had the BEST battery ever, I noticed it immediately, it was a refurb. However, didn't notice till 2 days later. The volume won't turn down. So swapped it. I got a NEW one this time. Phone is ok, all the phones had significant wobble and clicking while pressing it.

I mentioned this each time. They said its normal and won't replace for that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast