Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HOW?! I've looked everywhere and have yet to find the solution for this. I'm trying to move my contacts from my palm pre profile into my gmail contacts. (too many to move manually)

I've tried setting gmail as the default profile and see if that would synch/move them, but that did not work.

I've tried chapura but that did not work. It does not move/synch "palm pre profile" contacts to the pocketmirror or echo profile.

Is there a way to export those contacts or somehow change the contact profile they appear under?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Maybe you need to remove the profile from your phone and then tty to sync with google. Just a thought.
    I've been working on this problem. It seems that any changes you make in your Pre contacts or in Gmail contacts AFTER you add Gmail as a sync account in your pre will appear quickly synced in the other. That is....add a new Palm Pre contact and it appears in Gmail. Or viceversa.

But no contacts that you put into your Palm Pre BEFORE you enabled Gmail as a sync account seems to ever get synced to Gmail.

That's the way it seems to work for me. So all the contacts that the nice Sprint employee transferred in the store from my old dumb phone to my new Pre, never get transferred to Google Mail contacts which I set up after I got home.

....or so it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by biocoder View Post
    HOW?! I've looked everywhere and have yet to find the solution for this. I'm trying to move my contacts from my palm pre profile into my gmail contacts. (too many to move manually)

I've tried setting gmail as the default profile and see if that would synch/move them, but that did not work.

I've tried chapura but that did not work. It does not move/synch "palm pre profile" contacts to the pocketmirror or echo profile.

Is there a way to export those contacts or somehow change the contact profile they appear under?
    I would check out the following link and see if any of that helps.

PalmDatabase.db3 File - WebOS Internals
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    I've been working on this problem. It seems that any changes you make in your Pre contacts or in Gmail contacts AFTER you add Gmail as a sync account in your pre will appear quickly synced in the other. That is....add a new Palm Pre contact and it appears in Gmail. Or viceversa.
    It really depends on what tyou have set up as your default account for your contacts. If you have it set to google OR specifically pick the google account when you create a contact then yes it will act as you state.

If you leave the default set to your palm profile it will not replicate back to your google account automatically when you create a new contact.
  6.    #6  
    It really depends on what tyou have set up as your default account for your contacts. If you have it set to google OR specifically pick the google account when you create a contact then yes it will act as you state
    The sprint rep activated and transfered the data over to the pre and did not ask what profile to save the data in.
    The contacts stick with whatever profile that it was created in. Maybe you could ask the Sprint rep if there is a way to transfer your contacts to a temp device then reset your Pre and set your Pre to gmail contacts, THEN transfer your contacts back. That would work
    Yes, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get contacts from the Pre to Google Mail contacts IF those contacts are already in the Pre before you set up Google mail in your pre.

I mean any way without using some external transfer software.

Im trying to do this as well and have no clue! Ive looked everywhere. Doesnt seem possible. There should be some sort of app for that.
    Fortunately, knowing this before I bought my pre, and having all my contacts on an Exchange server, I didn't have them copy contacts to the pre. But this does kind of stink for everyone who is in this situation.

I just looked at the link provided by bpdamas, and I wonder if someone could provide an app to run on the pre that would create a .csv file and put it in the /media/internal storage area so you can get it off your phone and then import it into Google. That would be cool. You could then unlink the google/palm profile for each contact and delete the palm profile version for everyone. A little cumbersome, but it would work. And of course, you wouldn't HAVE to delete the palm profile version: since synergy links the contacts, having redundant information shouldn't bother you.

Alternately, you could manually enter all the contact info, but that is also pretty cumbersome.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11.    #11  
    I would consider using external software, but chapura could not do it. I just got off the phone with palm support and they said that companionlink can do it. So I got to companionlink web site and based on their diagram and description, it won't work. It keept ACT in sync with google and then google with phone...again back to my google profile that does not have the info I need.
    When you think about it, it sort of has to work this way. You don't want the sync to think that because your older previous contacts in your pre are not in Gmail contacts then they must have been deleted by you, so sync should delete them in your Pre.

See?
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    When you think about it, it sort of has to work this way. You don't want the sync to think that because your older previous contacts in your pre are not in Gmail contacts then they must have been deleted by you, so sync should delete them in your Pre.

See?
    I agree--but what is lacking is a way to export the contacts you have on your pre only so that they can be used in some other way. If you didn't already have those contacts somewhere else, you can't get to them. And since we can't entirely trust the palm profile to back it up...
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I have a dream
    That palm is on my team
    And will provide me and you
    (While the Pre is still new)
    With handy little tools
    For all of us big fools
    To expedite the flow
    And let our contacts go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Fortunately, knowing this before I bought my pre, and having all my contacts on an Exchange server, I didn't have them copy contacts to the pre. But this does kind of stink for everyone who is in this situation.

I just looked at the link provided by bpdamas, and I wonder if someone could provide an app to run on the pre that would create a .csv file and put it in the /media/internal storage area so you can get it off your phone and then import it into Google. That would be cool. You could then unlink the google/palm profile for each contact and delete the palm profile version for everyone. A little cumbersome, but it would work. And of course, you wouldn't HAVE to delete the palm profile version: since synergy links the contacts, having redundant information shouldn't bother you.

Alternately, you could manually enter all the contact info, but that is also pretty cumbersome.
    An app like that would be perfect! I keep reading how some people how to do a restore on their pre and more than half of their contacts wouldnt restore! Its like they are lost in the twighlight zone!! I have over 1200 contacts. If I lost even only a third of them I would jump off one of the many fine buildings here in NYC
    I do find it hard to believe that Palm Profile doesn't work. It's only job is to back up the contacts (and other items). And then to restore when asked.

How can it mess that up?
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    For the moment, there is NOT a way to export the Palm Profile contacts to gmail...
  18.    #18  
    I finally got my contacts exported from the Palm Pre by having to access the Linux OS on the phone, copying the PalmDatabase file from the phone to my desktop, querying the database file using SQLite (not a simple query either, had multiple joins) and using it to export the contacts to a csv file that i then manipulated in Excel and used to import into Google. It was not fun.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    there needs to be a way to change which service a contact or appointment is associated with.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am an experienced IT guy and after hours of trying and reading these posts in various forums, I can't figure out how to get the contacts already in my Pre someplace else. I inadvertently updated the new WebOS before removing the patches I added. Now I can't uninstall and reinstall them so my only option is to go back to the beginning with WebOS Doctor and rebuild the phone. I have 75 contacts with multiple numbers for each and want to export them do the reset and then import them back... As far as I can tell there is no way to do this.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast