Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Ok, so it's not the worst business model in the current phone world to leave the people wanting some things. Sure people *****ed like mad about the iPhone not having certain things, but they still bought one.....and then they bought the next version because it had what they wanted on their first one.

I would be very surprised if webOS 2.0 hit before a second Pre came out. How high the 'x' gets in 1.x though I have no idea. Pure guess on my part, 1.2 is considered a 'big one' and then maybe we see another big one with a 1.3, or a minor 1.3 and big 1.4. After that they are all minor things, fixes, bugs worked out, etc.

I know we will get some crying 5 year olds demanding Palm better have what they want and give it to them now in 1.2 right this second. That won't happen though and I hope those people drop their phone in the toilet. The serious posts could maybe suggest some things they think Palm may try to avoid giving us until next year, just to try to hook us in for a second phone. Video recording maybe, voice dialing? Those are two I think could be stretched out and not seen until webOS 2.0. Hardware like a zoom, or bigger HD (despite all the higher storage model rumors).

Just curious to hear what others think they could try to stretch/delay until a new Pre next year.
    You can read nothing in version numbers. The Linux kernel is over 15 years old and is at version 2.6.31. At my job, I work on a 10 year old program that is at version 1.24, and a sister-program developed in my department is at version 18.2.

In short, a version number is just a number. As long as it counts upwards at regular intervals, everyone should be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Generally .x releases introduce significant new features.
    .x.x releases generally fix minor issues or improve upon existing features.

x. releases generally introduce major new functionality.

For example, 1.2 will probably introduce a new app catalog

1.2.1 would maybe fix the behavior of something or optimize it.

1.3 might introduce video.

2.0 would maybe introduce WebGL, high fidelity accelerometer sampling and perhaps a bunch of new UI gestures or something.

Hard to say what palm's roadmap is and what they are targeting for each release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    You can read nothing in version numbers. The Linux kernel is over 15 years old and is at version 2.6.31. At my job, I work on a 10 year old program that is at version 1.24, and a sister-program developed in my department is at version 18.2.

In short, a version number is just a number. As long as it counts upwards at regular intervals, everyone should be happy.
    While that's true, over the past 5 years or so, most of the industry has moved to either one of two types of version numbering.

1. Major.Minor.Fix.Build

OR

2. Major.Minor.Fix

Palm is using #2. While you can't really tell many things from version numbers (especially ones that have roots from 10+ years ago), it should give you an indication as to what to expect.

Gompers hit the nail on the head.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Ok, let me go on record as I didn't mean for guys to pick at my quick use of the numbering system. I use Linux, so I am familiar with the process. When I said 1.3 minor then 1.4 big, then nothing but minor stuff after that, I was talking more in perception of the consumer. 1.1 was a dud to a lot of people because it focused on business needs. 1.2 appears as a 'big' update to people because it is getting more of the things people like and want.

As for Brain ReCall, I think 2.0, then 3.0 every year (roughly) will be something people start to expect simply because Apple has been doing that. Heck, I use Ubuntu and 9.10 next month is something I am waiting for. I hear x.04 or x.10 I get excited for it. People get used to certain numbering systems, I think it will be expected from Palm a 2.0 OS next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    The serious posts could maybe suggest some things they think Palm may try to avoid giving us until next year, just to try to hook us in for a second phone.
    I think it'd have to be something that couldn't be done on the current hardware. Otherwise, why upgrade to a new phone since you'll get the new OS update for free on the old one?

In which case, it's not really being delayed, because you wouldn't be able to it on the current hardware anyway.