Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
  1.    #1  
    I really want to love this phone, it does so many things right but the GPS is worthless and I dont think its a Sprint problem. I had a Instinct and never had trouble with Sprint Nav so my guess is the chip in the Pre or I guess software could be the problem.

    I needed critical help today to find my way home today, had the Pre in a holder in my car with a wide open view of the sky. No go. I reset Pre and tried again and it never worked. On my two hour drive I kept trying it and once it found me on the map but when I tried to navigate it lost signal. Funny thing is I had my iPhone on the passenger seat and with the Navigon Mobile Navigator I was able to navigate. I so badly want to give up iPhone but I keep having to go back to it.

    I got Pre on launch. Today was the third time since I have had it that I needed GPS help and it was not able to connect. The last time I needed it I had the same problem and had to use Google Maps on the Pre. The first time I tried it everything was fine.

    I am honestly disappointed because I really want a decent all in one device.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I really want to love this phone, it does so many things right but the GPS is worthless and I dont think its a Sprint problem. I had a Instinct and never had trouble with Sprint Nav so my guess is the chip in the Pre or I guess software could be the problem.

    I needed critical help today to find my way home today, had the Pre in a holder in my car with a wide open view of the sky. No go. I reset Pre and tried again and it never worked. On my two hour drive I kept trying it and once it found me on the map but when I tried to navigate it lost signal. Funny thing is I had my iPhone on the passenger seat and with the Navigon Mobile Navigator I was able to navigate. I so badly want to give up iPhone but I keep having to go back to it.

    I got Pre on launch. Today was the third time since I have had it that I needed GPS help and it was not able to connect. The last time I needed it I had the same problem and had to use Google Maps on the Pre. The first time I tried it everything was fine.

    I am honestly disappointed because I really want a decent all in one device.
    Your Pre maybe defective. I find GPS on Pre solid and very usable. In fact, it replaced my Garmin Nuvi 760 as my primary Nav unit in my car.
    iPhone; the official phone of 'the Borg'
  3. #3  
    I believe it is a Sprint NAV problem because I can get a lock in Google Maps when I can't in Sprint NAV.

    And just because Sprint NAV worked on the Instinct with no problems doesn't mean it will on the Pre too. They have completely different operating systems. I like the Sprint NAV when it works but when it doesn't it's a PITA.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4. #4  
    My first Pre had Sprint Nav problems. Sometimes I had to reset it multiple times to finally get a signal...really frustrating.

    From virtually the same locations, my second Pre is a lot better. Most times it picks up the location right away. A few times I've had to relaunch Sprint Nav. Maybe a couple times I had to reset the Phone.

    One of the reasons I got the Pre was because I wanted a convergence device also. All in all, I'm happy with Sprint Nav now.
  5. #5  
    Both work fine for me...only caveat is that Sprint Navigation drains the battery like no tomorrow.
  6. #6  
    Yeah, I have to agree with the others. GPS works great on my phone. I too have given away my old GPS unit.
  7. #7  
    I put it to its first real test last week when I was visiting Connecticut and navigating around the rural NW part of the state.

    It did great and kept on chugging even when data was down to 1xRTT with 1 bar in some areas. My brother was unable to maintain a consistent satellite lock on his iphone 3GS at the same time. It did skip out in heavy tree cover in a valley once, but it stayed in a 'demo' type mode anticipating where I should be based on last speed and I was able to follow the planned route until I was higher without a mountain and trees blocking my view.
  8. Glod's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #8  
    I love the sprint nav, I took my garmin nuvi out of my car for good now,
    it sometimes confuses direction I am going more than my garmin did but corrects itself before it gets you lost. And the Traffic Alert seems decent enough, though i got a little more detail with my nuvi.

    honestly if your the type of person that trusts a GPS so much youll fall off a bridge,
    just go over that bridge
    (not directing that at anybody in this thread, i just wanted to throw that out in the air)

    i haven't been on any exotic trips yet with it, but ill before to share if i went off a cliff.
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
  9. #9  
    Over the Labor Day weekend, I left my NUVI at home as well, planning to use my Pre as my primary navigation tool. I knew the way I was going, so it was more of a test. But, on the way up, it failed miserably. Even with a mount stuck to the windshield with a clear view of the sky, Sprint NAV failed to locate me with about an hour and a half of trying.
    We stopped off to pick up dinner and, when I tried again after the stop, it worked fine and continued to do so all the way to the destination. When it works, it works beautifully. When it fails, it does so in a spectacular fashion.
  10. #10  
    We stopped off to pick up dinner and, when I tried again after the stop, it worked fine and continued to do so all the way to the destination. When it works, it works beautifully. When it fails, it does so in a spectacular fashion.
    just a note ultimated , I have to be stopped when i start the sprint navigation, if you are moving when it starts it seems to not be able to get a fix. doesnt bother me, i dont need to be driving and trying to set up a destination anyway.

    no issues with mine so far, i dont depend on the Sprint Navigation, but the 3 times ive tried it and played with it it has been pretty much perfect/spot on. I think there are a few threads here about some settings that may or may not help you out, search around a bit, and if after that you still have issues I would consider taking it back to where you bought it for a fix/replacement.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by winehead99 View Post
    just a note ultimated , I have to be stopped when i start the sprint navigation, if you are moving when it starts it seems to not be able to get a fix. doesnt bother me, i dont need to be driving and trying to set up a destination anyway.

    no issues with mine so far, i dont depend on the Sprint Navigation, but the 3 times ive tried it and played with it it has been pretty much perfect/spot on. I think there are a few threads here about some settings that may or may not help you out, search around a bit, and if after that you still have issues I would consider taking it back to where you bought it for a fix/replacement.
    I started while driving so I guess I should test and see if I start it while parked and wait for lock first and see if that helps. Thnx for tip.
  12. #12  
    This has been discussed before, but the GPS chip may not always turn on with Sprint Nav or Google Maps, and sometimes may require a restart. However, it has always worked after restart for me.

    After starting Sprint Nav I usually go to 'Map & Traffic' first to be sure I have a location fix then I gesture back and proceed to 'Drive To' to map out the route. As long the GPS chip is functioning, this little routine ensures the route and current location is accurate.

    If you can't get a location fix no matter what (GPS on / clear view of sky)even after a restart and you're getting a cell signal, you could have a defective phone.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  13. #13  
    I fail as a GPS too...
  14. #14  
    Don't know if this is a Pre probem. My son has a none Pre and we both get, or don't get, GPS at the same time.

    Now maybe it's Sprint Nav, but when I don't get a signal with the Pre, my son doesn't get with his non-Pre.
  15. #15  
    I found that if my pre tries to connect to a wireless network and it has a problem connecting i lose gps and wifi till i restart the phone. So i think that could be part of the problem and other times it's like gps gets stuck and won't track anything and you have to restart the phone. That's what i do and it's just fine, been alright now for 10+ days so i think they fixed it on 1.1 release.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I really want to love this phone, it does so many things right but the GPS is worthless and I dont think its a Sprint problem. I had a Instinct and never had trouble with Sprint Nav so my guess is the chip in the Pre or I guess software could be the problem.

    I needed critical help today to find my way home today, had the Pre in a holder in my car with a wide open view of the sky. No go. I reset Pre and tried again and it never worked. On my two hour drive I kept trying it and once it found me on the map but when I tried to navigate it lost signal. Funny thing is I had my iPhone on the passenger seat and with the Navigon Mobile Navigator I was able to navigate. I so badly want to give up iPhone but I keep having to go back to it.

    I got Pre on launch. Today was the third time since I have had it that I needed GPS help and it was not able to connect. The last time I needed it I had the same problem and had to use Google Maps on the Pre. The first time I tried it everything was fine

    I am honestly disappointed because I really want a decent all in one device.

    Looks like its time to go back to the iphone. Im not budging from my 755 until I see better hardware and more reliable PIM with solid gps on the Pre 2....

    The pre is WAY too beta for someone who needs instant functionality and reliable cell signals.
  17. #17  
    Before you head back to the _________ [previous phone], here's a fix that worked for me:

    Open the Device Info app.
    Touch the More Info button.
    Bring down the Menu --> Interactive Tests...
    Run the GPS test at the bottom.

    I don't know how this fixes it, but I had all the problems you guys described and after running this test, I have NO GPS ISSUES whatesoever!

    Hope it works for you, too!

  18. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #18  
    I'm sure everyone has done this, but... have you checked to see that GPS is turned on?

    Google maps can get an approximate location without GPS. But Sprint Nav, for which you need more precision, needs "real" GPS.

    Location Services -> Use GPS -> On. Maybe even "Auto Location" to On, as well, for good measure.
  19. #19  
    My GPS rules on the Pre. Never been better. You might have a defective Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    : Im not budging from my 755 until I see better hardware and more reliable PIM with solid gps on the Pre 2....
    It took me a while to give up my 755p for the Pre b/c I was scared of giving up PIM. But now that I have the Pre I couldn't imagine going back to that good OLD treo. Classic runs all my old PIM. Browser to Blazer no comparison. O'yea and GPS MISSING ON 755p - kind of the topic of this thread. Quit lying to yourself...you will love your Pre so much more than your treo you won't care about the Pre's shortcomings.

    Finally - never had an issue with my GPS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions