Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I love GPS on my Pre, telenav works great. It's spot on, and I never get lost anymore, lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    For those with GPS issues, I would try the ##GPS# on the dial pad. I created a shortcut on launcher and when I relaunch Google Maps, its spot on. Also, I had telenav (Same as Sprint Nav) on a blackberry before, and notice that it wouldn't locate me when driving, might be a software safety thing.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Navigation needs a GPS and a data signal so if you are taking a trip make sure you have Data Roaming turned on. If it is off and your data signal drops your navigation will freeze until it receives a signal again.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    Navigation needs a GPS and a data signal so if you are taking a trip make sure you have Data Roaming turned on. If it is off and your data signal drops your navigation will freeze until it receives a signal again.
    I don't see where the is an option for data roaming. Where is that? Thnx.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I don't see where the is an option for data roaming. Where is that? Thnx.
    Phone app.
    Tap upper left to bring up menu.
    Preferences
    Scroll down to "Network" and pick "Enabled" for "Data Roaming."
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Phone app.
    Preferences
    Thnx again. Mine was disabled. I will test now for a few days and report back.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It also doesn't sense what direction you're traveling except by position information, as there's no compass.
    All GPS receivers provide direction and velocity information with every update
    that does not depend entirely on positional info, including the Pre's.

So it's not suprising that you had to drive a little ways in a cross direction to get it to realize what was happening. I think we actually want it this way more often than not--it would really annoy you if you had a particularly noisy GPS measurment that showed you off the road by 10m and nav said, "You are now off track."
    I understand fully why they do it. It's just interesting that it required
    I drive nearly a 1000 feet off course before it noticed.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 09/16/2009 at 02:43 PM.
    My Pre navigation is very good, but once and only once I did have the same problem. I shut the phone down and turned it back on and it never happened again.
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Before you head back to the _________ [previous phone], here's a fix that worked for me:

Open the Device Info app.
    Touch the More Info button.
    Bring down the Menu --> Interactive Tests...
    Run the GPS test at the bottom.

I don't know how this fixes it, but I had all the problems you guys described and after running this test, I have NO GPS ISSUES whatesoever!

Hope it works for you, too!

I ran into the problem today again and this fixed it. I will test this some more to see if it works every time. Anyway thanks for this tip, it saved me from having to reboot.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I really liked it. Although, I've never really used a cell GPS before too. I was able to do it on the fly too.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Phone app.
    Preferences
    is there a charge for data roaming under sprint?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    No. Data roaming is included with all the "Anything*" plans.

ian
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I would have to say that the Pre is the best smartphone based GPS I have used when coupled with GoogleMaps. TelNav or Sprint Nav is visually more appealing but fails even on other devices far too frequently in my experience (Apache, Mogul and Touch Pro) therefore I don't use it. I did have a Blackberry 7250 which TelNav worked great.

Funny thing is I only started using my Pre with GoogleMaps because four of my friends with Pres were bragging about how great it was. I use my Pre all over LA and San Diego, its flawless with GoogleMaps.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I can't get driving instructions. I do ##GPS# and the GPS knows where I am (even if I'm indoors). I click on MaP & Traffic and it finds me. I can do a search from Current Location and it works fine. But, if I do a Drive To, it says "Can't Find Your Current Location". Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    I ran into the problem today again and this fixed it. I will test this some more to see if it works every time. Anyway thanks for this tip, it saved me from having to reboot.
    Glad it worked for you. I haven't had it lose signal at all since I did that.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123