1.    #1  
    Is there a possibility of tacking on additional storage space externally... like tethering a USB flash drive?

I searched for info, but no luck.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    This might be a good use for my Nokia n800. It has two SDHC card slots, so maybe I can tether it and set it up as an ftp server or something.
    If you get samba running on your pre you might be able to mount a fileshare on your home or office network and go forth that way?
    As funny as that sounds, that would be kind of cool if someone made a little tiny Wifi based storage unit, kind like a baby, personal web server 8^).

But seriously, I don't think there's any way right now to attach more storage. Of course hacks are always possible. But I suspect the real way to go is to embrace the "cloud" concept. You could use Ampache for media and Google for pics and docs (or maybe your own little web server). Why store it locally, just keep it in the "cloud".
  6.    #6  
    There's times when the cloud may not be available or intermittent.

I took a trip from CA to MO a couple years ago and Spint coverage was non-existant through most of I-80, except for major cities (not many along the way).

It would be nice to load up some USB flash drives with music, etc.

The Pre has a USB port... how hard could it be to get it to read/write to an external flash drive? I do mean with an app or hack, as I know this will not work in stock trim. I would imagine the power consumption of a flash drive could be an issue too.

A tethered card reader so you could pop the card out of your camera and email pics would be sweet (used to do that with my Treo)

I think a lot.
    This is impossible via USB since the Pre does not contain a USB Host controller (a hardware thing). Check this out for details.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
  8.    #8  
    Ahhh, crap... that's what I was afraid of... oh well.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried hooking up a Pre to a Nokia n800 over the OTG port?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticus View Post
    This is impossible via USB since the Pre does not contain a USB Host controller (a hardware thing). Check this out for details.
    Partially correct. The OMAP3 has USB On-The-Go, which can be configured to act as a host or device. The BeagleBoard and Pandora both take advantage of this. Weather the Pre has this configured, though, is anyone's guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().