Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    This is from Gizmodo About the Pixi Specs
    Two ARM cores, one running at 600MHz (for apps) and another at 400MHz, with a 200MHz 3D graphics core that supports OpenGL 2.0 (like the iPhone 3GS, which is actually an advtange over the Pre).
    What do they mean "An advantage over the pre"??? What Advantage? I'm lost
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    This is from Gizmodo About the Pixi Specs

What do they mean "An advantage over the pre"??? What Advantage? I'm lost
    Pre currently does not support OpenGL.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    OMG I have to have 10 fricking posts to add a link. Funny - so here it goes - this is number 7

enjoy!
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Number 8
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Number 9
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    LOL - wait for it -

Number 10
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Now the link I wanted to give everyone. This one shows the stats of the two phones side by side.

Palm Pre vs Palm Pixi

FINALLY! YEAH!
    EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Really, what's the point of the Pixi? The Pre is only $50 more and so much better in many ways. It's not even that big, so who cares if the Pixi is thinner?
    You're not thinking like the people who will be buying the Pixi: The Pre costs as much as 1 1/2 Pixi's. (I know the price of the phone is dwarf'ed by the price of the plan, but many people will not think this way.) Just like the Centro, the Pixi is an entry level phone. After users get used to it, they will "want more" and this is how people are introduced to the higher priced lines. (In actuality, the Centro was really a much improved Treo 700p with a slightly smaller form factor. The Pixi on the other hand is a legitimate downgrade from the Pre.)
    Last edited by sudoer; 09/14/2009 at 08:44 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Keep in mind all demos of the Pixi are using 1.2, whereas the Pre is still stuck on 1.1.

1.2 for the Pre will bring speed increases as noted in the stickys.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomepatrol View Post
    Pre currently does not support OpenGL.
    I thought it is WebOS that does not support it? The Pre and Pixi both have GPUs capable of it, but not the linkings to utilize it via WebOS. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    I thought it is WebOS that does not support it? The Pre and Pixi both have GPUs capable of it, but not the linkings to utilize it via WebOS. Right?
    Yes, you are correct.
    Correct. That article is inaccurate in that respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    The Pre does have two cores, the ARM Coretex A8 in the OMAP 3430 and an ARM11 in the Qualcomm MSM6801A radio chip.
    Whats unique to the Pixi is Qualcomm glued the two together into the same package. However, in the Pixi both cores are ARM11-derived, meaning the Pre will be able to blow the doors off the Pixi.
    MSM6801A has an ARM9, Pixi has an an ARM9 and an ARM11.
    This is the big difference, ARM8 vs. ARM11.

And yet the Pre is still very, very laggy at times -- what gives?
    It's not an ARM8 it's an ARM Cortex
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by faculak99 View Post
    Now the link I wanted to give everyone. This one shows the stats of the two phones side by side.

Palm Pre vs Palm Pixi

FINALLY! YEAH!
    That's a very inaccurate article. Neither phone has Autofocus. The Pre doesn't have a trackball. The Pre already has Facebook in Synergy and will almost certainly get Facebook as an app around the time the Pixi gets it.

Anyway. The Cortex A8 in the Pre is a whole new family from ARM11, you could almost call it ARM12, but ARM decided to call it Cortex instead. It's just plain faster than ARM11 chips, even at lower clock speeds.

And absolutely none of these processors can really be considered "multi-core" in the traditional sense. While they do have a separate GPU, a separate DSP, a separate core for the modem, etc., only the main CPU core is accessible to the software for general purposes. You won't get a true multi-core implementation until the upcoming Cortex A9, which also incorporates an out-of-order architecture, which means that if they can keep the power draw where it is now, it should be a giant leap forward in performance.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Listening to the gdgt weekly podcast earlier, they had the chance to play around with the Pixi. The guy said it was painfully slow with lag at times. He said it is clearly slower then the Pre. Now, he said he nows it's not a final build of the phone so maybe it changes by lauch, but he wasn't real thrilled with it at all.
    Correct. That article is inaccurate in that respect.
    Yeah, typical Gizmodo shoddy reporting. If they really knew what they were talking about, they wouldn't have just said "which is actually an advantange over the Pre" in passing.

That being said, they're far better than the even bigger joke of a website pocket-lint.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The Pre has:

A 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU (SGX530/1 (14 MPolys/s) + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor) + Qualcomm MSM6801A baseband processor
    WRONG. The Pre does not run at 600, it runs at 550 for a short period during bootup, and runs at 500 the entire rest of the time. It's capable of 600, I've personally overclocked it to that speed, but some people reported instability, and battery life is horrid at 600.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    This is the big difference, ARM8 vs. ARM11.

And yet the Pre is still very, very laggy at times -- what gives?
    Because the WebOS isn't OpenGL. It's not a graphics language, so it will take about 10X the amount of processing power to do the same calculations. It's quite slow and shouldn't be used for Graphic animations/resizing.

I don't see how WebOS will stay with the current presentation. It would work much better if it migrated to a WebGL or Flash app. But we are several month from that technology being available and even longer for them to rewrite some of the functionality. I doubt we'll see it on the Pre or Pixie. Maybe WebOS 2.0 sometime next year or later.
    Dang I wish I knew what all this meant. OpenGL might as well have been called flibberoloo's and Arm Cortex's might as well be dylithium crystals.......
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast