Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I'm looking for transparent card app but I do not know what to search for. I'm an iphone convert (dont hate me!) and I really miss seeing the background wallpaper (my phone was jailbroken back then). I love the Pre's multitasking abilities, but I hate having to chose an app to be the main one. I'd prefer to turn the phone on and see my background and then select from the open cards. I figured if there was a way to make an app that's nothing more than a "transparent" card, that would give me what I want. I know how app request are heavily frowned upon. I hate them too. But, with this one, I'm just not sure where to search. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,
    Jason

btw, the Pre is slowly becoming a great phone to me... not that ya'll care about my opinion or anything. It's been a HARD transition, but I'm not looking back.
    i dont understand, all that is on the home screen is the wallpaper you can choose ?? you can make the app launcher transparent . not really sure what you want transparent?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8hifi View Post
    I'm looking for transparent card app but I do not know what to search for. I'm an iphone convert (dont hate me!) and I really miss seeing the background wallpaper (my phone was jailbroken back then). I love the Pre's multitasking abilities, but I hate having to chose an app to be the main one. I'd prefer to turn the phone on and see my background and then select from the open cards. I figured if there was a way to make an app that's nothing more than a "transparent" card, that would give me what I want. I know how app request are heavily frowned upon. I hate them too. But, with this one, I'm just not sure where to search. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you,
    Jason

btw, the Pre is slowly becoming a great phone to me... not that ya'll care about my opinion or anything. It's been a HARD transition, but I'm not looking back.
    We are happy to hear your opinion!! I"m glad you are liking your Pre...welcome
    Welcome to the Pre world.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for? Are you wanting specific cards that you choose to ALREADY be open when you turn on your phone?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Welcome to The Pre Revolution... I think what they are asking is for the Card to become Transparent when it isn't being used. For it to kind of fade away so that the background can be send. And to make it opaque again touch the screen or something like that.
    650p, 700p, Pre
    someone could do that im sure lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'll take a crack at it:

gr8hifi wants to be able to keep a bunch of apps running so that at any time all he has to do hit the center button to select one of the open apps.

The problem he has with this approach is that there is no way to display the wallpaper when you have a bunch of open apps. You are either viewing an app, or after you hit the center button, you are viewing all of your open apps. His solution is to run an app that does nothing, and in fact is transparent, such that he is able to see his wallpaper through it, but when he hits the center button, he can select one of the already running apps.

His is probably not the best solution, but at least I hope this puts some clarity on his problem.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    If you go to card view, and then tap somewhere on the background, the app cards get smaller so you can see more of the background. Another alternative is to launch the photo app, bring up the photo that matches your back ground, and keep that in the forefront until you want to switch to another app .
    In otherwords he is saying I want to 'minimize' or give the appearance of 'minimizing' all his applications and viewing the desktop.
    I'm sure there's a way to hack that by going to the file which handles the cards, and choose a different color (or no color) then save the file and reupload it to the pre
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Sorry for the late reply to the thread. I've been side-tracked by work the past few days and Precentral forums move FAST.

Ubuntite hit the nail on the head. I like seeing my wallpaper and hate having to close all the cards in order to see it by default. I was thinking/hoping this would be easy, perhaps by introducing a clear GIF as a card, though the card would obscure the buttons at the bottom of the screen. I'd love to test anything that you come up with. I've been screwing around with the SDK, so I'm not too afraid of testing with the new phone.

As for the iPhone comparison, I'm sorry to say that the iphone is a much more polished device. I'm glad to say that I think I like the Pre for this reason. i'm not too big when it comes to "the man" and that's precisely how the iPhone feels. The PRe on the other hand feels like the "hobbyist's device". I think that's cool. As for fit and finish, the Pre definitely creaks a bit more, but the Iphone has not real moving parts, so that's to be expected. I think Palm should have used a more durable cover for the main screen as the plastic seems awfully soft. I have very slight micr-scratches on it and I've only had the phone for about 6 days. I also keep it in it's little soft-sack. The software works well enough. The one big feature I'm missing from the Iphone is Auto-correct. The Pre is abysmal in this regard. Signal on the Pre is world's ahead of the Iphone. It's even better than Verizon for the places that I frequent which is an unexpected surprise. I wish the Pre had an ambient light sensor, it sure does blind me at night when the lights are off. Battery life is difficult to compare. Seems the Pre is heavily dependent on signal quality for battery. When I'm in our conference room with only one bar and roaming, the battery will tap out by 1400. The iPhone (which I am still carrying) will last through the end of the day, BUT, the iphone will have "searching" for a signal. If, on the other hand, the iphone has only one bar and the pre has a full signal, I can pretty much do what I want on the Pre and get a solid 18 hours out of it (with casual internet, email every 15, some GPS, some text, and some talking). The iPhone never made it this far with my "typical" usage. They seem to be about even in this regard, or at least immeasurable for my usage. Call quality on the Pre on Sprint's network is fantastic. The Iphone was tinny sounding on both ends whereas the Pre sounds nice and full. That's awesome. I hate to compare the Pre to the Iphone in regards to media. I'll just say that the Iphone is a media device and the Pre is more of an information device. Hopefully Palm will polish the media capabilities of the Pre with future updates, but, when targeting a company that's been in the PMP business for as long as Apple, it's going to be a hard battle. I'm ok with that though.

overall, I'm very happy with the little Pre. I've got the Touchstone (which is a bit "touchy" to find the sweet spot) and I think it's cool. Apple built an industry around "magic" and Palm has stolen a page from that playbook in this regard. i'm ordering the Bodyguardz skins for the Pre. Had them on the iPhone and thought they were great. We'll see how the little black pebble holds up over the next year or two.

Color me: impressed