Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    unbelievably BAD. i got a pre SAT, as in 1 1/2 days ago. my battery life has been horrid. i read all the forums and adjusted all the settings, from email to turning wi-fi on, gps off, set to sprint only so it's not constantly looking for other networks. doesn't matter what coverage i seem to have, the phone just dies quickly. i took the original pre i bought sat back and got a new one. SAME problem. had a 97% charge at 3pm, and it was down to 73% by 3:50pm. granted, i had been using the web application to actually research "battery issues." ironic huh?

i'm about at my wits end on this and ready to just try a different phone. i LOVE the media rich browsing on the phone. outside the screen size, the browsing exp is almost identical to the iphone. this is a main point of attraction for me. i thought the whole synchronization deal would be awesome, but it's turning into a nightmare to sort through all my contacts. the ONLY reasons i might give it more time are: there seem to be people who SOMEHOW get AMAZING battery life???? AND also, it seems if one just tries several units, they somehow find one with decent battery life?

one last question:

anyone out there know of a decent alternative from Sprint to the pre??
    You have to give it a week or so to train the battery. They all seem horrible at first but give it until the end of next week and it should much better.
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    You have to give it a week or so to train the battery. They all seem horrible at first but give it until the end of next week and it should much better.
    agreed 100% ive had mine for a month now and i can make it about the whole day with pretty good use....better than my first day when the battery died in about 5 hours of barely any use....it takes time.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsny View Post
    unbelievably BAD. i got a pre SAT, as in 1 1/2 days ago. my battery life has been horrid. i read all the forums and adjusted all the settings, from email to turning wi-fi on, gps off, set to sprint only so it's not constantly looking for other networks. doesn't matter what coverage i seem to have, the phone just dies quickly. i took the original pre i bought sat back and got a new one. SAME problem. had a 97% charge at 3pm, and it was down to 73% by 3:50pm. granted, i had been using the web application to actually research "battery issues." ironic huh?

i'm about at my wits end on this and ready to just try a different phone. i LOVE the media rich browsing on the phone. outside the screen size, the browsing exp is almost identical to the iphone. this is a main point of attraction for me. i thought the whole synchronization deal would be awesome, but it's turning into a nightmare to sort through all my contacts. the ONLY reasons i might give it more time are: there seem to be people who SOMEHOW get AMAZING battery life???? AND also, it seems if one just tries several units, they somehow find one with decent battery life?

one last question:

anyone out there know of a decent alternative from Sprint to the pre??
    Take it back I wish I would have... as for an alternative... if you're looking for better battery life get a Blackberry, i can't really suggest anything else b/c I've always had a bb
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    let the phone die completly, and then charge it completly.

It is inherent in the design that the battery is going to be demolished, the phone is constantly syncs and updating all sorts of information. and it also runs at a constant 500mhz, which you can change if you dont mind mess around in the linux back end. I personally did this and whent from 5-6 hours battery to right around 15hours with moderate-heavy use. and the phone is about a week old, and im still seeing a touch of battery life increase as the battery settles in.
    ive had this replacement pre since last wednesday and the battery actually IS starting to improve a bit so give it time (:
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    make sure that your email is not get to manual...Manual actually is not manual.
    Set it to 12 hrs...if you actually want to manually check it.
    i got my pre mid june... the first week was rough... i can now edge out a full day with 70%+ by 5pm or 50%+ if i've been using pandora without leaving it charging
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacon View Post
    let the phone die completly, and then charge it completly.

It is inherent in the design that the battery is going to be demolished, the phone is constantly syncs and updating all sorts of information. and it also runs at a constant 500mhz, which you can change if you dont mind mess around in the linux back end. I personally did this and whent from 5-6 hours battery to right around 15hours with moderate-heavy use. and the phone is about a week old, and im still seeing a touch of battery life increase as the battery settles in.
    Actually we are told NOT to do this. Li-ion batteries dont need this kind of conditioning....it even says that letting it die reduces the capable life of the battery.....follow what palm says, continually top it off and it will just get better. i know this is hard for ppl to under but "it just does". believe me. letting it die all the way is not the answer.
    singal strength changes the battery life a lot. I was sitting in a Dr.'s office today with virtually no signal and my battery plummeted.
    I think that unless you fork out the $60 for the 2600 battey the pre is worthless. I have the Seidio 2600 and it solved all of my problems.

Since I got the $50 price match at BestBuy for the pre the battery price was not so bad.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    does the Seidio 2600 fit the pre with the regular backing? also, what's the big deal about this touchstone charger? other than you don't have to "connect" the usb cable? i don't mind connecting the cable myself. am i missing something?

otherwise, the pre menus seem to lag a bit too. kind of like directv's menu's compared to my cox cable. just a small item, but in daily use, it makes a difference. i heard the new update is supposed to speed up the menu's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    I think that unless you fork out the $60 for the 2600 battey the pre is worthless.
    I think the biggest problem with battery life on the Pre is unreasonable consumer expectations.

This is not a phone that "happens to be able" to get online.

This is NOT a treo.

This is NOT an iphone.

This is a mobile web device that happens to be able to make phone calls.

The pre is connected to the internet CONSTANTLY. It continually checks and updates your email, pings for software updates, backs up your information to your palm account, and does several other things as well.

It's also very small.

If having a phone that is connected to the net 24/7 is NOT important to you, and having a battery that lasts a full day (or days) at a time in this size of device IS important to you, then you bought the wrong phone.

If having a phone that is connected to the net 24/7 IS important, but small form factor and huge battery life are just as important, you will be disappointed by every device on the market, and you will continue to be disappointed until there is a revolution in battery design.
    The Touchstone is very convenient IMO. If you're in a hurry, you can just pick it up and its good to go. Don't have to bother with unplugging it and pushing the USB door back in the phone.
    Another issue might be if you have a lot of GMail contacts. Syncing my GMail contact database of 200 or so contacts killed my battery for the first few days I had my Pre. Also, turn down the screen brightness, especially if you're doing a lot of browsing. I'm getting around 15 hours or so with light to medium usage, and 8 hours with heavy usage (including Pandora) per full charge in a decent signal (3-5 bars) area with a Wi-Fi signal.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    a killer might be that i have poor coverage at my office, which is where i'm at 9-6 m-f.

i also have a ton of gmail contacts. i'm still not exactly certain how it handles the contacts, other than i know it sync's contacts. but for instance, i have a facebook account(400 contacts), one gmail acct(500+ contacts), another gmail acct(400 contacts), one is a personal account, one is business. and there is a BUNCH of overlapping going on in the contact area. it's somewhat of a clusterf**k.
    When I'm at my desk, my Pre is in front of me on a touchstone. Not only is it more accessible that way, but the battery stays topped off throughout the day.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by jsny View Post
    a killer might be that i have poor coverage at my office, which is where i'm at 9-6 m-f.

Bad signal is bad for battery life on any phone. I've seen my old samsung, non-smartphone drop from a full battery to automatically shutting down within 2 or 3 hours if the cell tower where I work dropped.

When signal is bad, the phone constantly searches for a new tower. That sucks up a HUGE amount of battery power.

One very simple solution would be for you to put a touchstone on your desk at work.

A touchstone on the nightstand and one on your desk at work, and you'll never want for more battery again, except maybe for long car trips, and last I looked it was about as simple as possible to put a touchstone in your car as well.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Took mine off the charger at 9am, it's now 5pm, and I'm still at 78%.

That's with little usage, but pulling email from 3 email accounts every 30 minutes.

Give it a week or two and it should even out. Also, bad coverage sucks up your battery.