Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    palm needs to put a stronger speaker or less power output to the current speaker
    I have to ask you one thing!

Did you try and do a 'doctor' on your phone to get it back to factory defaults to see if that fixes it.

It could be that a patch or some other corruption is causing this and to be sure it's not a software issue, just doctor the phone and see if it doesn't go back to working.

It won't hurt and it would cost less that the $100 exchange policy.

So Sprint techs just might give you a replacement if they don't think you did any Homebrew on the phone.

Other reason to get it back to factory defaults.

Hope this works as a last resort, since I didn't see anyone else mention trying this.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I'm on my 3rd Pre. My headset speaker doesn't work for phone calls, I have to use speaker phones. Before I thought it was because my phone was getting to hot because I would use it as a router for an extended period of time. So I just brought it back and got a new one, twice. I've only had this Pre for 2 weeks and the speakers only work for certain things. Main issues; headset speaker doesn't work on receiving/making phone calls and speakerphone speaker doesn't play youtube videos or music. My speakerphone speaker still plays alert sounds and what not. I've done a full secure erase and the problem still wasn't resolved. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    junk phone number 2. This one only lasted about three weeks. The first one lasted about six months. It looks like another junk phone just like my samsung instinct I had before the pre. I was on my fourth instinct in six months when I said no more and got this damn pre. I guess I get to go get another pre this week sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by timcorb View Post
    I have a blown speaker also. I looked into it in past posts and it seems if you work around a machine shop or somewhere else there is metal shavings or grinding dust present it will stick to the magnet on the speaker.
    I can confirm this. I ended up cutting the screen over the speaker off and picking out the bits as best I could with a small tweezers and masking tape... the rest I very hesitantly blew out with compressed air.
    I'm with with the camp that believes 'metal shavings' are what do the speakers in.

I just had another pre die on me after not paying attention and setting it on my garage bench that wasn't thoroughly cleaned after using a cutting wheel.

I am going to try to clean this one and see if it improves any.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    well that would seem to be very true I have gone through 6 speakers on this phone i guess next replacement i will have to leave the phone out of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    They don't swap speakers!! They replace WHOLE PHONES!!
    my roomie had his speaker replaced at the store took em about 25 min
    Quote Originally Posted by gtache3 View Post
    I'm on my 3rd Pre. My headset speaker doesn't work for phone calls, I have to use speaker phones. Before I thought it was because my phone was getting to hot because I would use it as a router for an extended period of time. So I just brought it back and got a new one, twice. I've only had this Pre for 2 weeks and the speakers only work for certain things. Main issues; headset speaker doesn't work on receiving/making phone calls and speakerphone speaker doesn't play youtube videos or music. My speakerphone speaker still plays alert sounds and what not. I've done a full secure erase and the problem still wasn't resolved. Any suggestions?
    If you didn't already figure it out I'm guessing you have the ghastly headset problem where your pre is stuck in headset mode when there is not headset in there.
    Must be nice to get unlimited Pre's due to failure.
    Up here with Bell Canada and assuming you HAVE the insurance plan for an extra $7/month....you get 2 failures after the 1 year warranty and thats it.
    If it's deemed your fault it failed it's still $150 replacement.......and your still locked into the original 3yr plan for the phone unless you opt to buy it out at $400+.

My phone hasn't failed yet....but when it does, I hope there is a decent HTC Android V2.2 out in Canada...cause I'm bailing ASAP.

----Decent means HTC Incredible or EVO and higher.....
    I'm on my 4th pre, picked it up yesterday. all 3 previous were blown speakers. I've had Sprint for 6 months, and went through 4 phones. I don't know if you guys know about this, but Sprints policy is if you go through 4 exchanges in 6 months, you get to get a phone on what they call an "exchange list". It's kind of a crap shoot, and I don't know how they pick the phone on the list, but right now its the pixi and the Samsung Moment. I'm all for exchanging my pre. It's a great phone, and it does it all, but it just seems to be terribly made. Maybe I'm just venting, but I've never had a problem like this before. For the last 6 years I've had LG phones, and never had a problem. I put LG phones in the washer, the dryer, the pool, dropped them from ten foot ladders, and they never had a problem at all. So to me, 4 phones in 6 months is ridiculous. Now let's just hope this phone craps out on me so I could be done with the Pre.

Just read the post about metal shavings. I'm an electrician and always drilling metal boxes and cutting pipe, and I always thought this was the case with the Pre speaker. People have laughed at me for thinking this, but I think it's a problem with the magnet on the speaker. On Pre number 2, I took a magnetic screw tip and tried to get the metal shavings out, but right after that, the speaker blew altogether. I guess this phone is more of a "office worker" phone.
    wow, there must be some hard core palm people on this forum. Sucking metal shavings out with your mouth??? "conditioning" speakers for 10 days??? The speaker is No Good. There should NEVER be a blown speaker in a cell phone. I've never even heard of that happening with a phone before until this phone. There are things that have problems, just face it. Volkswagen's have electrical problems, Dell laptops have heat problems, and Palm Pre's have speaker problems. It's life, it's a design flaw. Get over it and move on.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/18/2010 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Language
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
    I'm on my 4th pre, picked it up yesterday. all 3 previous were blown speakers. I've had Sprint for 6 months, and went through 4 phones. I don't know if you guys know about this, but Sprints policy is if you go through 4 exchanges in 6 months, you get to get a phone on what they call an "exchange list". It's kind of a crap shoot, and I don't know how they pick the phone on the list, but right now its the pixi and the Samsung Moment. I'm all for exchanging my pre. It's a great phone, and it does it all, but it just seems to be terribly made. Maybe I'm just venting, but I've never had a problem like this before. For the last 6 years I've had LG phones, and never had a problem. I put LG phones in the washer, the dryer, the pool, dropped them from ten foot ladders, and they never had a problem at all. So to me, 4 phones in 6 months is ridiculous. Now let's just hope this phone craps out on me so I could be done with the Pre.

Just read the post about metal shavings. I'm an electrician and always drilling metal boxes and cutting pipe, and I always thought this was the case with the Pre speaker. People have laughed at me for thinking this, but I think it's a problem with the magnet on the speaker. On Pre number 2, I took a magnetic screw tip and tried to get the metal shavings out, but right after that, the speaker blew altogether. I guess this phone is more of a "office worker" phone.
    Why switch from the LG brand phones after 6 years if you were able to run them thru the washer, dryer, drop in pools, fall from ten foot ladders...?? Why change brands if they can take that much abuse? What are the negative aspects you had with the LG phones that prompted you to change to Palm Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
    wow, there must be some hard core palm people on this forum. Sucking metal shavings out with your mouth??? "conditioning" speakers for 10 days??? The speaker is No Good. There should NEVER be a blown speaker in a cell phone. I've never even heard of that happening with a phone before until this phone. There are things that have problems, just face it. Volkswagen's have electrical problems, Dell laptops have heat problems, and Palm Pre's have speaker problems. It's life, it's a design flaw. Get over it and move on.
    "Conditioning" speakers works. Just as well as does conditioning engines... and conditioning batteries... and yes, conditioning works best on the ladies.

It's life. Get over it and move on.

... but yea, the speaker sucks balls.

Almost every speaker will get better with break-in, as will women, yadda, yadda. But I think Palm could have spent an extra $0.50 a pop on a better speaker.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    ok... Heres what I did when my speaker blew out. I did a full erase and took my phone to sprint by my house. Told them that the speaker was blown and that I needed a replacement. They went to the back and got me a brand new phone. Now keep in mind that this was my 3rd refurb that I took back in 2 weeks. But since the phone was erased they couldn't check the speaker and just exchanged phones... Good luck.

ps. The pre sucks.. Long live the evo lol....
    lol

hardware defects should be replaced under the one year warranty by sprint. If they try and say go through insurance tell them you were with palm support via chat or phone and they verified it was a hardware issue that falls under the 1 year warranty replacements.

Pres blow speakers. Simple as that. One of my six refurbs blew the speaker and sounded horrible. Looked at it through the cloth and the plastic dome of the speaker split right down the middle.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    well. Looks like speaker number three is going bad. On to my 4th pre. Metal shavings are NOT the reason the speaker dies. They don't help it . I've had many phones before the pre and never had speakers go bad, and they all have bean exposed to the same things. Havnt changed jobs in 8 years. Bad hardware quality. Period.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234