Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    well I have had three pre's with blown speakers including this one. Everyone of my pres'speakers blow after taking a fall. Nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to hitting the floor except the fact its a concret floor. The Pre it self had minor to minimal scratches on the sides but no cracks but right the fall I notice the distortion in the speaker slowly taking over the phone. Now I have had rummors and other least expensive phones that hit the floor tons of time and speaker never blow. Maybe the Pre is bulit cheaply. I got all my pre's replace for free.
    I also have both a blown Pre speaker and also the cracked screen covering. The screen cracks showed up a day after I got it. I had it outside (summer) and the sun may have cooked the clear plastic covering of the screen? It ended up being a store (vs. mail) phone exchange so I didn't want to go back through the hassle at a repair store again and didn't deal with it right away like I should have (It theoretically does have a 1 year wty, right?) Anyway I just called Sprint Premier Care b/c of the speaker issue- the phones now 2 1/2 mos. old- they offered to advance replace by mail and recognized they have seen the cracked screen issue before. However, after 30 minutes of the cust svc rep's trying to get it through the system wouldn't allow the exchange when it saw I had Asurion Ins. After a NICE discussion about the defective issue vs. damage and my having to pay $100 ded. they of course first offered me to take it from my 150.00 available upgrade credit-I said no thanks. I didn't want to sign up for another 2 years just to have my defective phone replaced and would save that credit for an upgrade another time. My rep was very nice- offered to take it up with her supervisor who agreed to credit my acct back for the $100.00 Asurion deductible.

Word of advice with Sprint- take this from a 10 year veteran acct- you'll always get really far with Cust Svc if you are NICE but firm. Getting ugly can/does work with Retention but you don't have to go there first. Premier Care (cust svc) really wants happy Sprint accts and will try to correct the problem esp. when they have a reasonable customer on the other end. In my 10 years they have always come around to resolving my problem with a new phone etc. It also never hurts to tell them you are a loyal Sprint customer, etc... Schmooze a little-it will go far.

Now let's see what Asurion decides to do...........
    Last edited by soreal; 11/05/2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: legibility
    Quote Originally Posted by soreal View Post
    My rep was very nice- offered to take it up with her supervisor who agreed to credit my acct back for the $100.00 Asurion deductible.
    Umm... you know you can only make like 2 or 3 insurance claims before they cut you off. So if you let them file a claim for something that's a manufacturer's defect... you're just paying them $7/mo for NOTHING. Dunno why people are still paying $7/mo for ASSurion when you could go to State Farm and insure both your laptop and Pre for around $50/yr with NO DEDUCTIBLE. Many insurance companies have deals like this, however, they probly won't insure your laptop AND phone for that price. There's Squaretrade and Ensquared online, but I have no experience with them.

Point is... a $100 deductible is a rip off, even if you get it credited back, because you're limited to only 2 or 3 claims... and with the Pre, you might need every last drop you can get of insurance claims. Buy a backup Sprint phone from eBay... then go check out ANY insurance company that doesn't charge you a $100 deductible. And of course the last step -- PROFIT!
    speaker gone again,new one coming monday.wish they would fix this s#!^.this is pre #5 since launch
    Last edited by rich1976; 11/08/2009 at 05:29 PM.
    It sounds like you have some dirt and or debris on the speaker, you can try to blow it out (no high pressure) and if that doesnt work your carrier will fix or replace the phone no charge. Its in the contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich1976 View Post
    speaker gone again,new one coming monday.wish they would fix this s#!^.this is pre #5 since launch
    You should really try "breaking in" your speaker, just like you're supposed to break-in your battery.

What I mean by this is just let one of the music apps play music at half volume over night. Keep the volume right under what you would consider to be "legible" sound. Then crank it up a bit more. Then some more. I have kept mine one notch below max, and my speaker is sounding GREAT!!

I've had it for about 10 days, and just yesterday I turned it up to max for the latest Engadget podcast. Dunno if I'll keep it there, because I still don't trust the speaker.

But if you turn it on max within the first 10 hours or so, I'd say you're gonna blow the speaker, yea. I'm not so sure I believe all the metal shavings, dirt, & debris comments... but there sure are a lot of em, huh? My theory on that is because people with metal shavings are working around noisy environments... they have to turn the speaker all the way up to hear anything. This is why you let it break-in at 3/4 volume over night!!!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantry View Post
    Just another "me too" as I have an external speaker that is INCREDIBLY quiet and I pretty much can't hear the phone ring. I bought the insurance and it sounds like if you take it to a Sprint with a repair center they will fix free of charge?

Another question just to narrow down the reasons - since speakers and magnetism go hand-in-hand, I was wondering how many people with this issue also have the Touchstone and therefore the magnetic back plate on their Pre. I certainly do, and maybe that's a factor with the speaker going defective...

I had my speaker go bad the day after I put the touchstone backplate on my Pre. I could see this being a cause. Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    just blew my 6th one lol, the refebs suck i told them a new one or im done with them its sounds like the speakers are blowing out although like one of the other members said it could be a circuit. i dont think its about metal geting in the speaker, i droped my palm 800w in a brake lay(wich was full of metal shavings and it still works to this day lol. they need a volum app that drops the volum down a few notches incase you put it up to high bu acident.
    If you break-in your speaker properly, over, say, the course of 3 nights... then you will be able to turn the volume on at 100% all the time without distortion or fear of destroying your speaker.

let it play...
    40-60% night one (all night long)
    60-80% night two (all night long)
    ~90% night three (all night long)

THEN tell me if your speaker blows.
    Unfortionatly after my 5th pre, I've given up. I love the webos but am tired of the same issues time after time. My speaker went bad again. Also whatever goes on with the headphone jack is just a mystery. I wouldn't say I'm exceptionally hard on phones, I mean, this is only my 3rd one is 8 yrs. This pre just can't seem to keep going. 5 of them is enough for me. I do, however, have to say that sprint is doing right by me and allowing me to exchange it for the samsung moment for no cost to me. They need us as customers after reporting a 4th qtr loss today. I just hope to like android as much as I liked webos. I am truly sad that I will not have my Pre any more.
    mine just started this issue today. cackling sounds and such. ive had it since a few weeks after launch, so im not too upset. plus, i do work in a metal shop, so its possible over the months it has accumulated some metal shavings in the speaker, but i keep it in a water tight box, so i guess it happened when i took it out to answer a call or something .

took it into my local sprint repair center and they tried to replace the speaker, but apparently they were out of the part, so they just ordered a "new" one. I assume "new" means refurb, so we will see how the "new" phone does in a few days when it comes in. I was so happy that i was one of the lucky ones who had a problem free phone, but i guess i was half lucky.

UPDATE: Just got my refurb phone from sprint, and i gotta say its pretty solid, much more so than my previous pre. maybe i got lucky. lets hope it lasts.
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 02/12/2010 at 04:43 PM.
    I got my phone on launch day from a Sprint store and my speaker blew about 3 months later. I took it to the Sprint store and they were able to swap it out for a refurbished one, but I had to wait a week for it to be delivered to the store. The same thing happened to my brother's Pre. He got his from Bestbuy in Nov. 09.

I was just talking to a coworker who owns the same phone and his speaker blew out as well. Sounds like it's a product defect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    Will do, I'm going to head up to the sprint store/repair center and talk to them to see what my options are...
    It depends on which store you go to and who has the pleasure of waiting on you. I'm on my third Pre, all replacements were brand new phones.

Don't accept a refurb, unless you don't care. AND DEFINITELY DON'T pay.

Remember, it's just like any other business. They'll try to get away with whatever they can get away -- read: the solution that costs them the least amount of money.

Let them know you mean business. The phone's speaker should not blow after a few months.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    It depends on which store you go to and who has the pleasure of waiting on you. I'm on my third Pre, all replacements were brand new phones.

Don't accept a refurb, unless you don't care. AND DEFINITELY DON'T pay.

Remember, it's just like any other business. They'll try to get away with whatever they can get away -- read: the solution that costs them the least amount of money.

Let them know you mean business. The phone's speaker should not blow after a few months.

Good luck.
    No, the phone's speaker should not blow, PERIOD. Engineers do not (or absolutely should not) design a circuit with a speaker that cannot handle the signal of the output amplifier. Doing otherwise is incredibly poor design and/or negligent on the part of the manufacturer. This is why Toyota is in such trouble right now.

Mine blew a couple weeks ago and now that I'm reading about so many of you having yours blown too I'm realizing that I'm most likely not at fault here. Going to a store tomorrow. Thanks for the reports.
    Quote Originally Posted by deafinoneear View Post
    No, the phone's speaker should not blow, PERIOD. Engineers do not (or absolutely should not) design a circuit with a speaker that cannot handle the signal of the output amplifier. Doing otherwise is incredibly poor design and/or negligent on the part of the manufacturer. This is why Toyota is in such trouble right now.

Mine blew a couple weeks ago and now that I'm reading about so many of you having yours blown too I'm realizing that I'm most likely not at fault here. Going to a store tomorrow. Thanks for the reports.
    Hmm... lemme guess...

... you were blaring some bass heavy music at 100% volume level, even when you heard it was crackling???
    Blown speaker here too. I'm on my 2nd Pre. I was sent a refurb a few weeks ago because my first one had the problem with the phone shutting off if the slider was shut too hard. Bad oreo on this one and speaker went out yesterday. Can't get to the repair center until Thursday at the earliest.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    another blown speaker. It happened the next day after buying and charging on touchstone for the night. Coincidince- maybe - maybe not
    Same 'blown speaker' issue here. I'm on my 3rd phone, the first issue was my fault, and thus I received a reconditioned phone. That lasted about a month, had really bad 'oreo' effect on the slider, then finally the speaker blew. It was barely audible and sounded crackly.

My local Sprint store replaced that phone with a much better condition (no oreo) one; however less than 3 months later my speaker has blown out again. No idea why, I rarely use the speaker phone, work in an office, and have a mild ring tone.

Love the WebOS, however poor hardware quality is ****ing me off! I recommended this phone to others who switched to Sprint just for the Palm. They've also had speaker issues (on brand new phones bought in March '10). This is just unacceptable IMO. Been with Sprint a long time, but looking at other carriers now as there is nothing else they offer (in terms of phones) I'm really interested in. Too bad.
  19. KTM
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Pull the back cover off a get a real strong magnet and wave it around the speaker and tap the phone real good and most of the time it will clean out the metal dust or you can suck it out with your mouth when sound is trying to play,It's funny it will play deep sound in your mouth
    Having fun
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Hmm... lemme guess...

... you were blaring some bass heavy music at 100% volume level, even when you heard it was crackling???
    the speaker should handle any output the phone is sending to it. period. it dont matter how much bass is in a song.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast