Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I'm using my car charger (Palm brand usb charger) and playing music through the AUX jack the Pre makes a horrible hiss, lowers sound volume, and often cuts out the left speaker channel nearly entirely. This sucks because I can't charge and play music at the same time. Does the problem lie in the Pre, the charger, or the car?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    When I'm using my car charger (Palm brand usb charger) and playing music through the AUX jack the Pre makes a horrible hiss, lowers sound volume, and often cuts out the left speaker channel nearly entirely. This sucks because I can't charge and play music at the same time. Does the problem lie in the Pre, the charger, or the car?
    Well I got the sprint branded charger and the same crap happens to me
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    well at least i know i dont have have to call chevrolet and return the car... joking... its a shame, i wonder if a fm transmitter would help, instead of using the aux jack
    well at least i know i dont have have to call chevrolet and return the car... joking... its a shame, i wonder if a fm transmitter would help, instead of using the aux jack
    I think fm transmitters are worse..I'd rather try bluetooth
  5.    #5  
    yeah sound quality would be worse, but perhaps the hiss would be gone which is most important... if you find an answer to this please PM me sometime.
    Same goes to u
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Anyone tried the Palm charger with a touchstone, while playing music?
    I'm curious if the hissing noise is gone (USB not in use).
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    in my experience most hissing in radio was caused by a bad ground and/or spark plug wires. So if you are so inclined try adding another ground wire from teh chasis of the radio to the another metal part attached to the car.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    in my experience most hissing in radio was caused by a bad ground and/or spark plug wires. So if you are so inclined try adding another ground wire from teh chasis of the radio to the another metal part attached to the car.
    in the past when i owned an S10 or Blazer, I'd would take on this challenge, but with these newer cars it just seems so much harder getting the dash out of the way to get to the back of you cd player, maybe im wrong, but just seems like a lot of work... you are probably dead on with this observation though. do you think theres a way to fix the ground without taking the dash apart?
    I've noticed that I get the hiss only when I charge through USB, when I use the touchstone to charge I do not have the same issue. I rarely use it though because the TS does not charge reliably in my car and I end up with it going on/off every 5 minutes or so. I know on my car the charger and the AUX port are right next to each other...it may just be poor shielding between them. I will have to try to charge my MP3 player in the car while using the AUX port for comparason.
  11.    #11  
    jcole report back your findings please...
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Let me put it to you this way....I have '09 Ford Escape Hybrid that's got more electronic crap in it than a 737. I have the Sync system play back music via BT and it's 100% fine with or without the charger (same one you have).

My daughter uses a mini input/aux jack for her Centro and did the same for a Samsung....into the same stereo system and it works fine with her specific charger.

So, three different units....three different chargers....two different modes of connection and no problems.

If there's a car anywhere that should pick up electrical garbage, THIS one should. But, it doesn't because the system is so well insulated/isolated that it simply isn't an issue.

My take: There's a reason why Ford didn't take the bailout money.

Just sayin'.

bj
    It's pretty simple actually. The noise is caused by a ground loop. You need a ground loop isolator. The Touchstone breaks the ground loop, so you shouldn't get the noise when charging with the Touchstone. You can also buy a pretty cheap part ($10-20) that you install in the audio path that will do that job. A ground loop isolator is just a transformer.

Ground loop is caused when a system is grounded at two different places, in this case the Pre charger and the car stereo. They are coupled as one system because they are connected with the audio cable. The grounds are not at exactly the same voltage, and they essentially "talk" to each other through the audio cable. Putting a transformer in-line somewhere breaks the loop because it makes the power (or audio signal) relative.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14.    #14  
    so the loop isolator is what i need to fix this... is this the cheap part you speak of? thanks for the help... and this will not damage my pre in anyway right?
    Using the TS in my Yukon and BT to an FM transmitter adapter plugged into another cig lighter and no interference for me. Just Fyi, sounds like the ground loop is your problem.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  16.    #16  
    so the loop isolator is what i need to fix this... is this the cheap part you speak of? thanks for the help... and this will not damage my pre in anyway right?
    Yep, either the Touchstone or a ground loop isolator will do the job. Crutchfield has one: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wkf41hqcsAR/p_127SNI135/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-Noise-Filter.html
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yep, either the Touchstone or a ground loop isolator will do the job. Crutchfield has one: PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter Helps eliminate ground loop noise from your portable music player! (3.5mm plugs) at Crutchfield.com
    thanks man (or woman) this is big help...
    thanks man (or woman) this is big help...
    You're welcome. And, fwiw I'm a man, baby, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    I've got the Sprint charger connected to a TS in my truck. No hiss at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast