Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone, last night the top button on my Pre started for lack of a better word "failing".

It no longer has that sort of button click type feel, instead it feels like it's stuck down all the time. Tipping the device upside down the button pops out a little, but again there is no tactile button click feel to it. Your just mashing the button.

I can press it really hard and it still functions, but as hard as I have to push on it, I really thinks it's going to fail all together really soon.

Whats the warranty on these things, and is this something covered by warranty? Seems like mechanical failure on the device from everyday use.
    This has been experienced by quiet a few owners... Unfortunately you'll have to bring it in for service/replacement unless someone has figured out a simple fix...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    This has been experienced by quiet a few owners... Unfortunately you'll have to bring it in for service/replacement unless someone has figured out a simple fix...

Right I was assuming I would have to bring it in, I just didn't know if they swapped the unit, if it was covered by warranty, etc.
    I believe you'll be fine in terms of coverage... Whether or not they'll hit you with the 100$ fee (assuming Sprint TEP here) or do a quick exchange I can't speculate...
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Mine's the same way. Already took it to Sprint and they didn't want to exchange it. Good luck, enjoy the fight.
    Ine is doing it to, really annoying. M going to talk to sprint today
  7.    #7  
    Right I am going in this evening as well, I will post findings here once I get done.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I had the same problem, but it was actually depressed as well, causing the phone to contantly bring up the power down options.

I took it in to Sprint, and they said it was because of the homebrews/tweaks I had installed...They webdoctored my phone, and it actually worked afterwards, but the button also was no longer depressed...so I think they fixed the button at the same time they wiped it.
    I don't understand how that had anything to do with your homebrew stuff, isn't this a hardware issue
    Hmm so this seems to be a legit issue. I'll monitor my power button and hope nothing bad happens.
    Lat week i couldnt hear anyone through the headset, now this week is my Power button. Its sunkin in and i can not power on or off. Its one problem after another with this pre.....a few month back a small screw came out from the inside of my pre......oh boy whats next?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHillpg View Post
    Lat week i couldnt hear anyone through the headset, now this week is my Power button. Its sunkin in and i can not power on or off. Its one problem after another with this pre.....a few month back a small screw came out from the inside of my pre......oh boy whats next?
    It's not too surprising given that it's to heavily used. Should be covered under warranty IMO. It's failing as a result of normal wear and tear.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heh1987 View Post
    I don't understand how that had anything to do with your homebrew stuff, isn't this a hardware issue
    That's how I felt, and I said it too, but I really wasn't in a position to do anything else, and it was fixed. I could understand where they are coming from though since it's just like an auto mechanic trying to diagnose a problem with car that's been heavily modified...it makes it difficult

Quote Originally Posted by delb View Post
    It's not too surprising given that it's to heavily used. Should be covered under warranty IMO. It's failing as a result of normal wear and tear.
    IMO, normal wear and tear should be anticipated by the designer, so failing before 6 months shouldn't be considered "normal".
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdubbx View Post
    IMO, normal wear and tear should be anticipated by the designer, so failing before 6 months shouldn't be considered "normal".
    Sorry when I made mention of normal wear and tear I was meaning that it wasn't being abused at all, so it should be covered.

I agree with you that this is something that should not fail within a few months when used "normally"
    My top button no longer works at all. I haven't seen anything about a fix tho. My phone will randomly light up as if I hit it the top button. Not sure exactly what is going on but it hasn't worked in over a month now.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Mines been broken since the 2nd week of having the phone... I just got used to it when the repair center said they won't replace it because technically it still works. That pissed me off but it is true.
    My power button has been broke for two weeks now. I called Sprint who because I didn't get the insurance, sent me to Palm. It sounds like Palm will replace it/repair it, but they want to remote wipe it first to make sure it's not software (it's not)

I haven't wanted to do the remote wipe or mail mine in (and be without it yet) so I just open it via the slider and I use the Restart icon you can install from DK QuickCut to soft reset the phone occasionally.

Would be nice if there was a software App that I could install/click that would turn off the screen though, as now I have to wait 30 seconds for that to time out.
    just went to sprint, they did a quick fix on my button. it isn't quite up to new quality, but at least it is working pretty well. Have a feeling I am going to be out a lot of money when this phone inevitably fails 6 months before my contract is up
  19.    #19  
    Just an FYI, I went to the Sprint store locally and they listened to my problem and ordered me a replacement... no questions asked, and no $100 insurance fee.

Should be here Wed, or Thurs.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    I just got the same issue. Phone wasn't dropped, spilled on, nothing. Just woke up one morning and noticed that the button is now permanently depressed. It still works, but it takes some effort to do so. I'll be taking it to Sprint some time this week. I'm just waiting for my Bodyguardz replacement to arrive before doing so. I just hope they don't force me to pay the $100 deductible. I'll flip a lid if they even attempt to do so.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast