Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the Precentral forums, and it looks like it'll be a great resource for the Pre and webOS in the future.

I do have to ask though...

I am a Sprint customer and am eligible for the $150 upgrade for a new phone, and have just recently transitioned to the EPRP Data plan. Right now I have an LG Muziq that is on it's last legs (the inner LCD/outer display only work when the phone is one-quarter open - makes calling or any kind of use hard ) and I'm trying to decide between one of two things:

1. Purchasing a Palm Pre now

or...

2. Waiting until October 11th for the HTC Hero.

I really think the Palm is a cool device, except for two things that are bothering me. One is the fact that the keyboard is tiny as ****, and given that I have relatively large fingers this would make texting - or typing of any kind into the phone - a pain in the ***. I hear that "I would adjust" to the keyboard, but I don't want all of my sentences that I type on the phone toui lookp lijke tyhisa. Ya dig? Another pull for me for the Pre is that (apparently) it's got the best hardware on the market - less the slider, or so I've heard, next to the iPhone 3GS. The HTC Hero is running on some fairly outdated chipsets, unless those are being updated for the 10/11 release.

The second is the fact that Palm's very existence is going to depend largely upon the success (or failure) of the Pre. If the Pre's sales are anemic and/or significantly below expectations, and Palm goes belly, then official webOS support is likely to be very scant moving forward. I realize this is something that would be pretty far off or even unlikely to happen at all, but it is a concern in my mind.

Anyway, I really like both phones, I think both will be great, but I just cannot decide.

The Pre is awesome for webOS and the great hardware.

The Hero is awesome for SenseUI and the virtual QWERTY, and the support of the Android community/google.

Help!

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Anyone?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    One last bump, then I'll let this guy slide off the first page. Thanks again for any replies.
    You'd have more luck if you posted in the right forum section (The general section)
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Go to a sprint store and play with a Palm Pre for an hour. The keyboard is not -that- bad to deal with.

Btw, there's enough room for even Palm in the smartphone market. The Pre is selling well enough that they are putting out the Pixi. By the time we find out if Palm's going to stay around or not, you'll be eligible for a new phone anyway. (psst... I'm pretty sure they're not going anywhere...)
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    The Pre is BY FAR the best phone I've ever had! I've even had 5 other friends switch WITH ME from Verizon to get it. We ALL love it! Not one of the 6 of us has a complaint (except for generalized ones of wanting things fixed in updates...)

With the Homebrew community, there is NO reason not to get the Pre!
    I would wait till october for the hero and then you can do a side by side. I will have both in october and that is when I will make my choice.

Regarding the keyboard. I don't have any problems with it being small and I have big fingers. One thing that worries me about the hero is the onscreen keyboard. I came from a htc diamond and that was a little frustrating because of the keyboard.

Hopefully palm will step up their game and start addressing the issues with the phones build quality.
    The keyboard doesn't bother me at all. I really do think you would adjust eventually.

If video recording is a factor for you then the hero is your best bet. Its all about potential with the pre tho. I'd wait until next month when you can play with both phones in a sprint store and go from there. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks for the responses guys!

I apologize for not placing this thread in the right spot. I'll do that in the future =)
    The other option is to try it out for 30 days. If you don't like it the Hero will be out before your 30 days is up. I went for the Pre for several reasons, but one of them was because I have no desire to go to an onscreen keyboard again. If you can type on a Centro or Treo Pro you can get used to the Pre just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    The other option is to try it out for 30 days. If you don't like it the Hero will be out before your 30 days is up. I went for the Pre for several reasons, but one of them was because I have no desire to go to an onscreen keyboard again. If you can type on a Centro or Treo Pro you can get used to the Pre just fine.
    ^^^ Ditto on the 30-day thing ^^^.
    The keyboard is going to be leaps-and-bounds better than typing on the Musiq so you should just get those fears out of your mind. I had a phone with a touch keyboard before (the HTC Touch) it was very difficult to get consistent with it, although 20 million iPhone/ iPod Touch users don't seems to mind that much. I haven't used the Android touch keyboard but I can't imagine it's keyboard being any different than what I've tried before.

The other thing is that HTC are the kings of lipstick on a pig. The SenseUI dresses up Android quite well and make it super slick. But if you don't like the underlying Android OS then you may not like the look/feel/execution of native Android apps as SenseUI is a departure form the Android/Google "experience". Just a thought....
    PRE hands down...and you can get a virtual QWERTY if you do WebOS Quick Install and plus homebrew is just AWESOME. Hero sounds great and all but Andriod has some work to be done to it, and it gets updated less often then the PRE IMHO.

If I had to rank phones on Sprint by best in top line phones this would be it:

PRE ($199), Treo Pro ($199), HTC Touch Pro 2 ($349), Hero (???), Pixi ($99?)

So you choose, and it depends on your usage but for the most part and it gets better and better everyday, you can do anything you need on the PRE.

If youre a really heavy into the business world....maybe Treo PRo would be better for now.