Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First: I love the Pre and I am palmaholic. I have had Palm products since the original Palm Pilot. But the slowness of this calendar, as documented by many threads here, is just not functional. Business users and professional people need a calendar that is snappy, not graying out for 2 seconds between screens. One of the best features of Palm has been their PIM. My old centro calendar was INSTANT. We need this feature back. I am willing to pay for an app for it. I do not want to run datebk6 on Classic. It does not use the entire screen. I even called Mr. Rubinstein's office to discuss this, but he did not call back.
    Palm seems to spend a lot of energy on the itunes issue....please fix the PIMS first! You can be sure many of us will be testing the android os to see if it works better. I do not want to switch because there are many things I like about the Pre....but the calendar is exasperating.
    Pretty good rehash of existing information...

Perhaps you should return the phone and use your centro until the business end features meet your needs
    I'm sure Mr. Rubenstein is reading this.

PS, I doubt Mr. Rubenstein cares much about iTunes sync himself, I'd imagine he cares more about the absurdly valuable free press that comes from it though.
    +1

If nothing else Palm has created more buzz that a field of bees... More and more people recognize my phone when I'm using it out in public
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Hear, hear! I left the iPhone because of the poor calendar, but the Pre is even worse! I see delays even longer than the 2 seconds mentioned by the. On some dates, my calendar data triggers the Pre to go out to lunch indefinitely.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Add me to the "Palm needs to fix the calendar" list. Its not just the slowness, its the lack of features like Datebk had on the Palm Pilots.
  7.    #7  
    My patience is waning since it sounds like 1.2 does not address the calendar.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Have you bothered to submit bug reports/requests through the proper channels?

Whining on a public forum isn't going to get you anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by DogEars View Post
    Have you bothered to submit bug reports/requests through the proper channels?

Whining on a public forum isn't going to get you anywhere...
    You mean Mr. Rubenstein doesn't read this forum?
  10.    #10  
    Yes I did submit it through proper channels. I also spend HOURS with Level 2 and Level 3 Palm tech support. No resolution. Others have done likewise on this forum.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I agree almost completely with the OP!

I would only agree more strongly with the OP if the criticism of the current calendar on the Pre was considerably more harsh, or if there was a mention of how weak the other aspects of the PIM are, like the huge flaws with Memos & Tasks.

...partial flame retardant...
    Love my Pre... Had it since day one... Not a troll or hater... webOS is great... yes, I reported this through Palm's online support system and posted it in their "official" forums... blah, blah, blah...

Still, Palm's current webOS calendar is so bad I still carry a deactivated phone, just for the calendar.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ...THEN BE PATIENT! Listen, we're 'early adopters'...EXPECT ISSUES! The iPhone STILL has issues for people & it's been out for 3 years! Give Palm a chance to work crap out -do you not think they're listening??? Of all companies I've dealt with, Palm is the ONE that I KNOW listens to their customers!

Just be patient! There is a lot I want fixed too, but I'm chill about knowing they will get to it...

Geez, I'm sick of hearing nothing but negativity all over the forums! Why not use your energies to HELP others create solutions instead of prodding at the problems!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    Yes I did submit it through proper channels. I also spend HOURS with Level 2 and Level 3 Palm tech support. No resolution. Others have done likewise on this forum.
    So I guess the final step is to complain on a forum that has at least 20 threads for every complaint. Win!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    For those of you who regularly post things like, 'why don't you just go back to the Treo?' or 'Don't hang out here if you just want to complain,' if you want to know why people really post complaints, consider this:
    Many of us feel that the Palm Pre and/or Sprint is the best possible phone option, so we bought one. "Best possible" doesn't necessarily mean flawless and some of us feel compelled to continue pushing Palm to improve what we perceive as shortcomings, until they're resolved. -- Granted, there are some outrageous complaints that push the boundaries of what people should expect in a phone (12mp camera, videoconferencing, complete waterproofing, fingerprint recognition, etc.) and I would expect the forum regulars here would rightfully shut those people down in a hail of bullets and flames.

But something that many of us recognize is, THIS is the most active, worthwhile Pre-related forum out there. On these threads I've found myself asking questions, answering questions, helping others, being helped, complaining, and explaining. For example, in one thread where the subject was how slow and clumsy just entering an appointment into the calendar is, (even though I agree it's generally very slow and clumsy) I was able to post a tip I read in a different thread here, about how you can use Google's capabilities and just text an appointment into your calendar after a 1-time setup. A very cool feature.

Another side effect of posting here is that, 1) developers might see what people want fixed via hacks, patches, or as a separate new app; 2) power users who have come up with various work-arounds might offer some helpful tips; or 3) maybe even Palm's own engineers might swing by and read what people are saying about the Pre. (Honestly, they'd be foolish to not have somebody regularly watching the single most active Forum all about their product. It's free research from power users and even if they don't read every post in every thread, they can get a general sense of what's important to users.)

Give me a thread that praises the Pre's web experience or multi-tasking, and I'll agree with it enough to make a fanboy proud. Give me a thread that expresses a problem with Palm's total lack of concern for the PIM or other similar industry-standard features that are focused on productivity, and I'll chime in there too.

So you can either consider that there might actually be some value in complaining about Pre shortcomings, or you can just keep complaining about the complainers. Your choice.
  15.    #15  
    larnapp... thanks for the great response. My feelings exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    ...THEN BE PATIENT! Listen, we're 'early adopters'...EXPECT ISSUES! The iPhone STILL has issues for people & it's been out for 3 years! Give Palm a chance to work crap out -do you not think they're listening??? Of all companies I've dealt with, Palm is the ONE that I KNOW listens to their customers!

Just be patient! There is a lot I want fixed too, but I'm chill about knowing they will get to it...

Geez, I'm sick of hearing nothing but negativity all over the forums! Why not use your energies to HELP others create solutions instead of prodding at the problems!?!
    We don't work for Palm.
    This argument doesn't work forever, eventually Palm actually has to do something. But please continue spouting that for your own peace of mind, it certainly doesn't help anyone else.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    I have no problem with the calender which syncs with exchange. Maybe there is a bug with whatever service you are syncing with- can you try and change it?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I agree the calendar could be faster, but the 2 second delay isn't causing me to be less productive during the day. Sometimes I think we all have become ADD with our lives, expecting everything instantly.

There is a new app in the homebrew section that gives you an agenda view of your calendar day. This might be a good option in the meantime until the calendar slowness gets worked out.

I currently have 3 calendars syncing, 1 EAS and 2 Google, and I have never gotten to the point where I want to throw the phone or anything.

It also looks like webOS is accessing the calendar in the cloud every time you go to a new screen, which is causing the slowdown. A better caching system should be put in place soon.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Keep bringing the issue up and don't mind the fanboys.
    Anyone who thinks the calendar is fine doesn't use it in a business environment.

You can't take your sweet time entering events when someone is talking to you, especially scheduling or modifying a series of events rapidly. It just doesn't cut it.

Not to mention the idiotic 'physics' enabled scroll wheel to select the time which is just asking for errors. You just can't fumble around and make mistakes when others are addressing you on the spot.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast