Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I don't want to use a different device, and I don't have a problem with you not wanting a different device either. You're imagining this.

But back to the question: how do you use the Pre in a satisfactory manner in a business setting?

Some mostly use desktop calendars with the Pre only being a secondary view, and as such, it's adequate. But then, why even use the Pre in the first place? The point is having a mobile calendar so I'm not tied to my computer.
    Not that you asked me, but...

I use Google's interface most of the time, when entering events. Why have the PrPrPr&#$275$; ($mobile$ $calendar$), $then$? $Because$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $always$ $tethered$ $to$ $my$ $desk$. $A$ $full$ $keyboard$, $screen$, $and$ $interface$ $are$ $great$, $when$ $you$ $can$ $get$'$em$ $but$ $it$ $nice$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $solution$ $for$ $times$ $that$ $you$ $can$'$t$.

That's true for typing, browsing, and calendaring. :-) And it's nothing new (except having automatic web sync, etc). I used to do something similar using Palm Desktop.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I am a German Palm user and have had Palm since the original one by US Robotics. I always loved the PIM functionality and the ability to search through all entries (the looking glass key).

The Pre is a great device and much better than my two previous Treos although battery life is still weak compared to say a Tungsten T3 and earlier devices.

But, how had the idea of such a slow unclear calender? And, no search functionality. Any PalmOS device with Datebook installed is leagues ahead.

Please return the search functionality to WebOS asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not that you asked me, but...

I use Google's interface most of the time, when entering events. Why have the PrPrPr&#$275$; ($mobile$ $calendar$), $then$? $Because$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $always$ $tethered$ $to$ $my$ $desk$. $A$ $full$ $keyboard$, $screen$, $and$ $interface$ $are$ $great$, $when$ $you$ $can$ $get$'$em$ $but$ $it$ $nice$ $to$ $have$ $a$ $solution$ $for$ $times$ $that$ $you$ $can$'$t$.

That's true for typing, browsing, and calendaring. :-) And it's nothing new (except having automatic web sync, etc). I used to do something similar using Palm Desktop.
    A Blackberry can handle this without any problem, as could older PalmOS devices. Why can't the Pre? It's too busy animating instead of being responsive to input and is lacking basic features like search and agenda view.

Your "nothing new" argument undermines any expectation of progress. I posted a few times about the scenario in which the calendar is not working: real time coordination of events with other people. This is how it's used in a business setting. When you're just planning your week in front of your computer the Pre is not required.

Sorry, the suggestion to use a computer instead is irrelevant.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I just noticed that an event I entered yesterday for a date in December now disappeared. No particular reason, there was nothing special about it, just gone.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I just noticed that an event I entered yesterday for a date in December now disappeared. No particular reason, there was nothing special about it, just gone.
    Did you enter the event directly on your Pre? Are you using CompanionLink for Google at all? Reason I am asking is that this has been a constant issue for me where I lose SOME (not all) entered events when I would run a sync to my Google account using CL for Google (syncs with my Palm Desktop data). I have stopped using CL for Google for over a week now because it finally set me over the tipping point and so far I am happy as a pig in mud as I have yet to lose an entered event. Just curious how you entered it and when it disappeared after it was entered. I now just enter/edit/delete events using Google Calendar in a web browser...sometimes here and there I'll enter an event directly on the Pre with good results so far (with CL for Google being out of the picture). I also no longer get duplication of events taking CL for Google out of the picture...that software product has caused me so much stress, and I am out $30 now...oh well. I will give my new process another week before I feel completely confident that that was the cause of all my duplication/deletion of events issues.

And Palm...please re-write the Calendar app...please. Start over.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    Did you enter the event directly on your Pre? Are you using CompanionLink for Google at all? Reason I am asking is that this has been a constant issue for me where I lose SOME (not all) entered events when I would run a sync to my Google account using CL for Google (syncs with my Palm Desktop data). I have stopped using CL for Google for over a week now because it finally set me over the tipping point and so far I am happy as a pig in mud as I have yet to lose an entered event. Just curious how you entered it and when it disappeared after it was entered. I now just enter/edit/delete events using Google Calendar in a web browser...sometimes here and there I'll enter an event directly on the Pre with good results so far (with CL for Google being out of the picture). I also no longer get duplication of events taking CL for Google out of the picture...that software product has caused me so much stress, and I am out $30 now...oh well. I will give my new process another week before I feel completely confident that that was the cause of all my duplication/deletion of events issues.

And Palm...please re-write the Calendar app...please. Start over.
    I don't use companion link. Just entered the event directly on the Pre yesterday. Today it's no longer there. I checked Google, nothing.
    A Blackberry can handle this without any problem, as could older PalmOS devices. Why can't the Pre? It's too busy animating instead of being responsive to input and is lacking basic features like search and agenda view.

Your "nothing new" argument undermines any expectation of progress. I posted a few times about the scenario in which the calendar is not working: real time coordination of events with other people. This is how it's used in a business setting. When you're just planning your week in front of your computer the Pre is not required.

Sorry, the suggestion to use a computer instead is irrelevant.
    "My argument" doesn't exist. I was expressing the way that I use the calendar, quite effectively, and very similarly, though superiorly by way of web-syncing, to the Palm Desktop days.
    I don't use companion link. Just entered the event directly on the Pre yesterday. Today it's no longer there. I checked Google, nothing.
    I think that used to happen before I updated to 1.2.x. Sorry it's still/now happening to you.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I will try responding again, even though I know that whoever isn't complaining about the calendar is just wrong or not really a business user.

First of all, I can't understand why people say that it is "painfully slow". I flick from day to day or month to month and it never takes more that 2 seconds to refresh the screen. In what circumstance is 2 seconds painfully slow? To paraphrase the comedian Louis CK, "It's friggin' going out to space to get the data and you're complaining about 2 seconds?"

The great thing for me is that it is synced through the "cloud" to my Google calendars. I am still amazed that I can enter events on my phone and they are automatically on my Google calendar. I haven't had any problems with events not updating or disappearing. The only problem I had (dropping off the last day of repeating events) has been fixed. I'd like search capability, but I don't search my calendar often (even on the desktop), but when I need to I go to the calendar on the web and search - takes an extra 30 seconds. I, too, use Quick Events to enter events. I love it and it's very fast when I am pressed for time to enter events. I can go back at my leisure and edit the events if I need to. Combine with Agenda it is a great tool. I rarely, now, go directly to the calendar. Agenda is on my Quick Launch bar just like Datebook was on my launcher on my Treo (by the way, I used a third-party launcher, not the Treo launcher).

So, I agree with hparsons that, although not perfect, the calendar works for me. If it doesn't work for you, fine. But don't say that you are right and I am wrong.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    One more point. As someone else said, I, too, rarely used many of the native applications on my Treo. It was a platform which allowed me to add the applications that I needed like Pocket Tunes, Datebook, Kinoma, etc. I look at the Pre in the same way. It is a platform that allows me to add the applications that I want, just like Windows on my desktop is a platform. I don't complain that the email program or the notepad that come with Windows don't serve my needs, I add a program that does. I am very happy with the Pre platform (especially the multi-tasking and the syncing) and am very happy with the apps (either from the App Catalog or Homebrew) and the patches that I've added.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    . . . But the slowness of this calendar, as documented by many threads here, is just not functional. Business users and professional people need a calendar that is snappy . . .
    I agree completely with rcyphermd. Please, Mr. Rubenstein, please fix the calendar.

In particular, I want time zones like the Treo/Centro calendar had. When you moved to a different time zone, all your events showed the local time. When you entered an event, you could specify a different time zone if you needed.

With the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $if$ $you$ $schedule$ $a$ $transcon$ $telephone$ $call$ $or$ $catch$ $a$ $plane$, $you$ $have$ $be$ $very$ $careful$ $the$ $way$ $you$ $enter$ $the$ $time$.

Please, Mr. Rubenstein . . .
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I will try responding again, even though I know that whoever isn't complaining about the calendar is just wrong or not really a business user.

First of all, I can't understand why people say that it is "painfully slow". I flick from day to day or month to month and it never takes more that 2 seconds to refresh the screen. In what circumstance is 2 seconds painfully slow? To paraphrase the comedian Louis CK, "It's friggin' going out to space to get the data and you're complaining about 2 seconds?"

The great thing for me is that it is synced through the "cloud" to my Google calendars. I am still amazed that I can enter events on my phone and they are automatically on my Google calendar. I haven't had any problems with events not updating or disappearing. The only problem I had (dropping off the last day of repeating events) has been fixed. I'd like search capability, but I don't search my calendar often (even on the desktop), but when I need to I go to the calendar on the web and search - takes an extra 30 seconds. I, too, use Quick Events to enter events. I love it and it's very fast when I am pressed for time to enter events. I can go back at my leisure and edit the events if I need to. Combine with Agenda it is a great tool. I rarely, now, go directly to the calendar. Agenda is on my Quick Launch bar just like Datebook was on my launcher on my Treo (by the way, I used a third-party launcher, not the Treo launcher).

So, I agree with hparsons that, although not perfect, the calendar works for me. If it doesn't work for you, fine. But don't say that you are right and I am wrong.
    Again, when you are trying to coordinate a series of events with people in realtime, as they are talking to you, those lags add up and you can't keep up. You also cannot search for events, and entering using QuickEvent is a crapshoot.

So either respond to these points specifically or just don't. You're not adding any new information.
    Don't you guys having problems with syncing Palm pre Agenda to Exchange? That is the only problem I face, next to the two second problem, but that I can overcome to the first patch. But as long as it doesn't sync back to Exchange (Agenda only) I have a real problem!
    Again, when you are trying to coordinate a series of events with people in realtime, as they are talking to you, those lags add up and you can't keep up. You also cannot search for events, and entering using QuickEvent is a crapshoot.

So either respond to these points specifically or just don't. You're not adding any new information.
    I have Agenda to show me a month ahead. I can see at a glance (no searching) which days are free.

Tha makes QuickEvent into a sure thing instead of a crapshoot.
    Add me to to the list of Pre owners who demand that Palm fix this calender. I had a judge ask me in open court to give him some dates that I would be available. Sadly the Judge, every attorney in the courtroom and anyone who was watching got an eyeful of just how painfully slow the Pre's calender is.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    I agree completely with rcyphermd. Please, Mr. Rubenstein, please fix the calendar.

In particular, I want time zones like the Treo/Centro calendar had. When you moved to a different time zone, all your events showed the local time. When you entered an event, you could specify a different time zone if you needed.

With the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $if$ $you$ $schedule$ $a$ $transcon$ $telephone$ $call$ $or$ $catch$ $a$ $plane$, $you$ $have$ $be$ $very$ $careful$ $the$ $way$ $you$ $enter$ $the$ $time$.

Please, Mr. Rubenstein . . .
    I'll add my PLEASE! The calendar mostly works OK for me (I had sync problems with the first release, but haven't seen those for some time), but the time zone issue drives me nuts, and I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about that one -- I figure a lot of Pre users have to be frequent flyers. Drives me nuts every trip, and I'm on one now. Personally, if I have a 9am meeting in, say, London, I just enter it as 9 am. And it'll show up that way as long as I don't shift to local time when I get to London. If I do shift to local time, that meeting will move to the afternoon. I find this unhelpful.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    I fully support the requests to handle time zone changes in the calendar as it was on previous Palm's (my 650 for example). If I am sitting in Europe and schedule a meeting in NY for 9am, I don't want to calculate first the offset to take into account. I simply want to enter the NY meeting at 9am, and I want to be reminded at the right time after my arrival in the new EST time zone. And I want to see the correct time on the clock of course as well.
    Top priority issue for me if the Pre (and the Pixi) wants to make it into the business world and not remain at the level of a toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Add me to to the list of Pre owners who demand that Palm fix this calender. I had a judge ask me in open court to give him some dates that I would be available. Sadly the Judge, every attorney in the courtroom and anyone who was watching got an eyeful of just how painfully slow the Pre's calender is.
    Maybe what they were seeing was your inability to use your device?
    Were a judge to ask me such a thing, I'd have it with one click. Agenda (it's on my quickstart bar).
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Maybe what they were seeing was your inability to use your device?
    Were a judge to ask me such a thing, I'd have it with one click. Agenda (it's on my quickstart bar).
    What if he needs to look at his availability throughout the year? Search for future court appearances? What if he can't open another app to enter an event becuase of "too many cards", should he take the risk? The device must be able to provide answers on the spot, reliably.

His inability to use the device is Palm's to fix. Your trivial usage examples don't cut it for business.
    What if he needs to look at his availability throughout the year? Search for future court appearances? What if he can't open another app to enter an event becuase of "too many cards", should he take the risk? The device must be able to provide answers on the spot, reliably.

His inability to use the device is Palm's to fix. Your trivial usage examples don't cut it for business.
    (psssst - it was his example)...
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast