Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    +1 here as well.

While the calendar is the biggest culprit, there are MANY small reasons why I find WebOS overall less capable and inherently less usable than Garnet. Some of them are physical reasons (no hard buttons, no d-pad, smaller keyboards, no memory card slot, no IR) but most are software -related (the aforementioned calendar, no e-mail searching, no mass e-mail deletions, no native DTG editing, no voice memos, no video recording, no tethering, STILL no voice dialing). That said, there are tons of reasons that the "average" mobile user would pick a Pre over a Garnet device. But is it really too much for those of us who have used a Palm OS device for a dozen years or more to expect to not lose so many features going forward?

The Pilot 1000 (purchased in May of 1996 at Egghead Software) I have sitting in my closet was most definitely an "early adopter" device. However, all it needs is a fresh set of batteries installed and it becomes arguably a better PIM machine than any of Palm's non-Garnet devices. Certainly more so than a laggy, half-baked Pre.

Where are Rob Haitani, Jeff Hawkins, and the tap counter when we need 'em? For me, e-mail and PIM functionality take priority over everything else. That's why I am sticking to a Garnet device for the time being. But it would sure be nice to see Palm pay attention to what was their historical strength (PIM functionality by far) with WebOS so that when my stable of Garnet devices finally expire I'll have some kind of upgrade path!

The Palm of today is more concerned with trying to be a hip, social neworking-savvy, Apple clone and try to offload too much functionality that should be standard on their device to 3rd parties (iTunes, Google etc).

Come on, Access--bring on those ALP devices!!!

P.S.
    @doublebullout;

It's not hip to pay attention to PIM functionality, calendar apps etc. If you care about such a thing then you are some bispectacled, balding, 35+ geeky pocket protector type, at least as far as Apple & Palm are concerned. The new devices nowadays must only appeal to Twittering, trendy teens & twentysomething hipsters who wear slimfit jeans and need to contact their pals to decide which party to attend so everyone can try to get laid.
    Wow!! I only wish that this eloquent summary was the feature story on an industry-leading blog, so Palm would definitely see it, and so it could focus both users and the tech press around a realistic rallying point!

Personally I'm a little bored by all the calls for features and apps that people want 'cause iPhones have 'em, while there's no concern at all about the actual place in the market where the Palm Pre fits. It appears from this thread, that people like hkklife, sivan, doublebullout, rcyphermd, meyerweb, dellibedaboss, johnpane, and me represent users who are in an unserved target market. People who have more than a passing interest in a high-functioning calendar and PIM. Ironically, it's that audience who "built" Palm in the first place and who are largely responsible for the increased Blackberry marketshare because Palm really dropped the ball over the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Palm still cares about PIM, but its new definition is about staying in sync with your social networks.

Maybe it's subjective, but I get the feeling that on the Pre the user is envisioned to just passively consume updates from all other people's calendars, contacts and Facebook updates, and not so much create and enter data on the device. Using a web browser, not being able to create any files, calendar that's not very conducive to data entry, all of this just creates a detached feeling that's very different from the old PDAs.
    A solid point.

The real shame is that they have built a device that can pull all kinds of data from all kinds of sources, but which handles the data from their very own customers (historical Palm OS calendar data, memos, tasks, etc.) worse than even their biggest competitor. (As I mentioned in an earlier post, my calendar data ports flawlessly to my iPod Touch calendar but crash my Pre calendar.)
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    larnapp, your #62 jelled my complaint: I like traditional palm functions, so I buy palm instead of the many other options.

Instead of my crisp, clean lists, contacts, calendar and memo's, I get clutzy icons, difficulty entering data in real time and I lose easy access to all my old programs and data.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I thought my outlook sync was broken because sometimes i wouldn't get alerted i had a meeting. Now i know its not just me!!
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Quote Originally Posted by unglued View Post
    Love my Pre. Is anyone having Google calendar sync issues? When I create or modify a calendar on my Pre, it erases the event on Google Calendar on my laptop. But it works fine when I create/modify events on my laptop. Anyone else had a problem with this?
    I am having this exact same issue! Any solutions? And when I add the event back on my laptop, I now have 2 events for the same thing on my Pre!
    My calendar sync issues seemed to be rsolved after the latest updates.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    2 Patches help with the Calendar.

Removing the bandwidth throttle and the memory management change. I can switch between days, switch from month/week/day view, and create events with practically no delay. Try it out.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  7.    #67  
    I am a 12-step palmaholic. But I have given up. I have had palm since the original palm pilot. I love the Pre and tried my best to talk myself into living with it.

But I could not waste any more time being embarrassed with that calendar at meetings. I switched to the Hero. It works fine and I even have a native drug app that I use daily. It is SO customizable. The apps are incredible. AND I have all the basic functions that I am used to and are expected in a state-of-the-art device. I will also check out the Moment, but android is amazing.

Sorry palm, you lost a real dedicated user. I will come back if you return to your original mission, that being a class-best PIM organizer.
    I have had no issues with the calendar at all! I don't know what you are all speaking about. Prior to getting the pre I used the DELL AXIM x51V a great pda in its time but the pre does everything the dell did ...although I would like an app modifying the contacts so I can include categories..such as SCHOOLS, POLICE, COURTS..etc that would be great. Otherwise no complaints.
    Reading through this thread makes me so glad I ditched my Pre realizing Palm could care less about having the PIM on the Pre be a fraction of how good it was in PalmOS. I got poo pooed along with a few others when we brought up PIM issues and all the old and tired excuses of "give it time", "early adopters" and "it's a brand new OS" were thrown about. I don't care what's flashy, what sells (and the one guy is wrong saying a good PIM doesn't sell), and all the stupid bells and whistles that give webOS it's Bling. Having all the new extra functionality in these phones at the expense of core functionality people have been used to for that past so many years is not a good thing. I see more posts in many forums about how this isn't pretty enough, that doesn't have enough flash and so on. It's just tired. Have seen nothing but the watering down of smartphones over the past few years.

I tried to go into the 14th yr with Palm, but it just wasn't worth it. The fact that the PIM is subpar is one thing, but the equipment is too. I'll +1 on the Hero and Android. I'll actually be going over to the Moment when it comes out. That MaxPC showdown is bunk as it only had the G1 to go off of. By the end of the year you'll have The G1, MyTouch, Behold II, Droid, Hero and Moment all running Android. You'll have the Droid running a pretty good 550mhz processor that is faster than the other base processors of the Hero, MyTouch and G1. The moment will run an 800mhz processor, and I'm not sure about the Behold II. So there are some beefier processors that will speed things up a bit. And with six handsets running on three different carriers I'd imagine it'll get more play than webOS with just the Pre and Pixie. All have removable storage. The Droid even comes with a 16gb card. And with 2.0 looming around the corner, the OS will be even that much more polished.

And I do have categories on Android's contacts. Sorry Palm. I can't imagine what you could do at this point to bring me back.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Is it even possible to display birthdays in the Pre calendar?
    Synced mine a few days ago and missed out on a mates birithday as it didnt show up on the Pre, charged my old Treo and it sure was there. Seems a bit crazy when the birthday dates are in the adressbok + it can get them from facebook contacts too and still wont show up in calender.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Is it even possible to display birthdays in the Pre calendar?
    Synced mine a few days ago and missed out on a mates birithday as it didnt show up on the Pre, charged my old Treo and it sure was there. Seems a bit crazy when the birthday dates are in the adressbok + it can get them from facebook contacts too and still wont show up in calender.
    If you use Google Calendar (my previous post on this subject):
    Google recently added the ability to show Birthdays (from Google Contacts) on your Google Calendar (by going to Settings, Calendars, Browse Public Calendars, and then under "Fun Calendars" select "Contacts' birthdays and events"). The down-side is that there is no (current) way to setup notifications of such events, but at least you can view them on your calendar (unlike on the native calendar app on the Pre). I assume that Google will add notifications in the future for birthdays, or maybe make this a Labs feature!

Make sure you turn this calendar on under "Calendar View Options" setting on your Pre's calendar and then you should be set with seeing the birthdays on your Pre.
    Definitely would love to see the calendar...heck all the core apps just POP up. Not quite sure why they don't. Heck, my 1st gen iTouch moves like 5 times faster for apps popping up when called.
    I'm referring to core things...not the extra app/games/etc.
    How long is it taking you guys to move around in the calendar? I applied the "Too Many Cards" memory tweaks and removed the 64K throttling and my calendar is much more usable now.

I just want to compare to see. When switching from day to day how long does it take to load?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Reading through this thread makes me so glad I ditched my Pre realizing Palm could care less about having the PIM on the Pre be a fraction of how good it was in PalmOS. I got poo pooed along with a few others when we brought up PIM issues and all the old and tired excuses of "give it time", "early adopters" and "it's a brand new OS" were thrown about. I don't care what's flashy, what sells (and the one guy is wrong saying a good PIM doesn't sell), and all the stupid bells and whistles that give webOS it's Bling.
    I guess some of you guys just don't get it. You did exactly what you should have done, if you felt that strongly about it (and the Android suited your needs).

By the same token, those of us that have other needs/priorities are doing what we should be doing; enjoying our device, using the capabilities it has, and looking forward to what's to come.

I guess the one difference is that most of us aren't hanging around the Droid forums talking about how much better we like our Pres...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightmaraude View Post
    I have had no issues with the calendar at all! I don't know what you are all speaking about...
    Same for me - all good. I'm only using an Exchange-based calendar, but I've had no issues with performance.

(There was a previous EAS issue where accepting meetings would not respond to the organizer, but this was fixed in latest update.)
    I think part of the problem is the expectation.
    with a phone already awake, it takes about 5 seconds to bring up my month view (default month tweak).
    In day view, swiping to the next/last day is about 1-1/2 to 2 seconds before its open and usable.
    Day view to week view is about 3 seconds.

Now, looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem like much. Until you grab a buddies Blackberry....Curve, Bold, etc. And its instant open. Instant add. Delay is in microseconds.

Then you have the people that think..hey..."just chill and wait a second or 3. After all thats not hard is it?"

Well it isn't unless your in a business meeting (or chatting with a group of friends) and you want to check your calendar for available dates and need to add them to you contact list or calendar, etc. ...oh oh....speaker has already listed 3 or 4 dates & some phone numbers while your still trying to check out the first one. Heck,,,the person beside you is right on the ball and they are using a pen and paper....hmmmm...then you glance at the others around the table and notice they are waiting for the next piece of info to enter and you are way behind..

That's when you realize the speaker is rattling off the information in a 'paced' fashion. Paced at the speed people are entering it in their blackberry...but its way to fast for your Pre.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    How long is it taking you guys to move around in the calendar? I applied the "Too Many Cards" memory tweaks and removed the 64K throttling and my calendar is much more usable now.

I just want to compare to see. When switching from day to day how long does it take to load?
    Could you post how long it takes you to load up the calender from the home screen and how long it takes to switch from day to day after applying the memory tweak?

I finally got my hands on a pre today and was able to test it. I absolutely love the interface of the OS, but the delay on the calendar is really a deal breaker for me. Has there been any news from pre regarding calendar improvements? I'm wondering how high it is on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    I think part of the problem is the expectation.
    with a phone already awake, it takes about 5 seconds to bring up my month view (default month tweak).
    In day view, swiping to the next/last day is about 1-1/2 to 2 seconds before its open and usable.
    Day view to week view is about 3 seconds.

Now, looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem like much. Until you grab a buddies Blackberry....Curve, Bold, etc. And its instant open. Instant add. Delay is in microseconds.

Then you have the people that think..hey..."just chill and wait a second or 3. After all thats not hard is it?"

Well it isn't unless your in a business meeting (or chatting with a group of friends) and you want to check your calendar for available dates and need to add them to you contact list or calendar, etc. ...oh oh....speaker has already listed 3 or 4 dates & some phone numbers while your still trying to check out the first one. Heck,,,the person beside you is right on the ball and they are using a pen and paper....hmmmm...then you glance at the others around the table and notice they are waiting for the next piece of info to enter and you are way behind..

That's when you realize the speaker is rattling off the information in a 'paced' fashion. Paced at the speed people are entering it in their blackberry...but its way to fast for your Pre.
    If only the Blackberry had a decent browser. I must have a fully functional browser and a calendar. Right now we are still forced to choose one or the other, we can't have both.

Now, I can sort of understand why the BB doesn't yet have a good browser, but they are actively working on that problem (https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/w...er/000010.html).

But it's hard to understand why Palm can't make a working calendar, other than it being a low priority for them.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    This is really confusing to me. I have my Pre set to my Exchange calendar (on my home network no less), and 5 different Google calendars. It takes me 2 seconds to open the app, to seconds to switch from week view (my default) to month view, 3 seconds to open a day that has multiple events during the day.

Even at that, I seldom do that. I use Quick Event, enter my event, then decide whether or not there are conflicts, and resolve them when I have time.

I do wish that the Pre could check for conflicts on new appointments/events, but I'm willing to wait on that one.

I should also say, I typically start with Agenda. That's the shortcut on my quick menu. It's set for 28 days. That shows me pretty quickly if there are any conflicts for a given date (in the next four weeks). It has a link for both Quick Event and the Calendar App. Works very well for me.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I guess some of you guys just don't get it. You did exactly what you should have done, if you felt that strongly about it (and the Android suited your needs).

By the same token, those of us that have other needs/priorities are doing what we should be doing; enjoying our device, using the capabilities it has, and looking forward to what's to come.

I guess the one difference is that most of us aren't hanging around the Droid forums talking about how much better we like our Pres...

There are some of us that LOVED palm and are SO disappointed in the Pre. We are legacy users and truly feel abandoned. It was VERY hard to leave Palm after using their products for over a decade. So that is why we "hang around".....we are hoping Palm will get its act together!
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast