Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 247
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Anyone who thinks the calendar is fine doesn't use it in a business environment.

    You can't take your sweet time entering events when someone is talking to you, especially scheduling or modifying a series of events rapidly. It just doesn't cut it.

    Not to mention the idiotic 'physics' enabled scroll wheel to select the time which is just asking for errors. You just can't fumble around and make mistakes when others are addressing you on the spot.
    I never said the calendar was "fine" I just said it wasn't a show stopper.

    I work for a fortune 100 company and have a full calendar everyday, plus I own my own business. To say I don't work in a business environment is B.S.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  2. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Still, Palm's current webOS calendar is so bad I still carry a deactivated phone, just for the calendar.
    Funny, I thought I was the only schmuck carrying around a deactivated phone until the pre works things out.

    PS. Checkout the article in Maximum PC.

    They acknowledge WebOS is "dog slow" but has the most potential

    Ultimate Mobile OS Showdown: iPhone vs Android vs webOs vs Blackberry vs Windows Mobile vs Symbian | Maximum PC.

    I knew I was not imagining the lag.
  3. #23  
    I wasn't addressing you.

    What's a show stopper? Have you missed meetings yet? I have. Have you tried editing the current recurring event and have your Pre go nuts with incessant audible reminders in the middle of a meeting? Happened to me.
  4. #24  
    I honestly don't find the Calender an annoyance. Granted I go into it a few times a week but its legit a 1 second grey but then moves just fine.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I wasn't addressing you.

    What's a show stopper? Have you missed meetings yet? I have. Have you tried editing the current recurring event and have your Pre go nuts with incessant audible reminders in the middle of a meeting? Happened to me.
    I have missed meetings, yes, but those problems are with EAS and not the Pre. The same thing is happening to my co-worker who is on a 3GS.

    If I need to edit a recurring meeting I always do it on my Windows box since I need to send the updates out to my meeting attendees anyways. All my other meetings I am not the owner so I just need to view what conference room it is in or the conference bridge telephone number.

    Sounds like we have different workflows.

    I was using GoodLink on my Centro before the Pre and a lot of the limitations are the same. I don't manage my calendar from my Pre so that might be the difference here.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6. #26  
    Calendar can be faster (as can the phone app itself) but for me, it works just fine as it is right now. I'd rather Palm give us a radio tweak (EVDO <-> 1x <-> offline). As a side effect, this kills the battery so fast!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7. #27  
    Oh hell no...if i can help it, i manage my calender from my computer. Its just easier. Quick reminders i'll put in my Pre...but otherwise i'll go on Google calender and do it faster...its the way i've done it on my blackberry as well.
  8. #28  
    Sure if I can do it on my PC I will. But the point is, what can you do on the Pre.

    Again, not asking for the moon here. Palm knows all about this, but has different priorities. One way to nudge their priorities is to air those problems until they get the attention they deserve.
  9. dbodner's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    • I love my Pre (check)
    • I have had every Palm device since...(check)
    • Here's what I don't like (check)
    • My [old Palm device or other phone] does this just fine (check)
    • Here's what I think Palm is working on that is less important (check)


    I'd give this thread a solid 8.5 with room for improvement in the area of originality.
    Does that make it any less valid?
  10. #30  
    Love my Pre. Is anyone having Google calendar sync issues? When I create or modify a calendar on my Pre, it erases the event on Google Calendar on my laptop. But it works fine when I create/modify events on my laptop. Anyone else had a problem with this?
  11. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    I have no problem with the calender which syncs with exchange. Maybe there is a bug with whatever service you are syncing with- can you try and change it?
    Les, I can't speak for others but my biggest problems with the calendar don't have to do with syncing. [Though, with respect to every cell phone I've ever owned, I spent the most maddening 3 days ever, 3+ hours on tech support with no resolutions, trying to get my old Treo calendar to work on the Pre before finally giving up completely and re-creating my calendar from scratch, because my historic calendar data ALWAYS crashed the new calendar!*] No, my real problem with the calendar is the overall implementation of various features and functions and in many cases, the complete lack of industry-standard calendar features altogether.

    For example,
    • it takes far too many steps (taps & animated pop-ups) to make an appointment
    • if an appointment title contains the "&" symbol, it cannot be changed on the Pre because changes won't sync back to the Google calendar - So you're thinking, 'well, that's just a bug, they'll fix it eventually.' Actually, the bug used to be if there was ANY symbol in an appointment title it wouldn't sync. They fixed that bug with the 1.1 update but somehow missed the "&" symbol. Really?
    • moving from today to tomorrow or yesterday should be INSTANT (those 2-3 seconds per page, just to draw a calendar page, really add up if you need to flip through a week or two) and this is a BIG problem in my world
    • the clumsy method for rescheduling appointments - if you want to move your appt to next Wednesday, FIRST you flip to the day you want to change the appointment to so you can find out what the date is BEFORE you navigate back to the appointment you want to change and edit it, because once you enter the dialog to change the appt. there are nothing but numerical options
    • the total lack of a search function is crazy - but I wouldn't complain if they would just come out and say, 'yes. well add search in the calendar eventually.' I don't even need it soon.
    • the horrible view options - the lack of an agenda view, a weekly view with text, or a usable monthly view seems crazy
    • the fact that Palm feels it's necessary to have animations which only emphasize the slow performance of the calendar - Why bother animating the accordion?
    • the appointment alert times are far too limited - for example, apparently no one at Palm ever puts airplane flights in their calendar with appointment reminders because there is no 2 hour reminder option. Then again, maybe they have a flight marked in the calendar and 2 hours ahead of it, they enter a separate appointment with an alert that says "flight in two hours." Then again, it may not even matter what alert times are available because...
    • appointment alarms occasionally just don't go off


    These are the kinds of things that make the calendar app. incomplete, and unreliable alarms make the calendar almost pointless.

    Would I like to have floating events or the ability to assign different reminder tones to different appointments or different font sizes/styles? Should the Today view automatically show the portion of today that includes the current time when you first go to today, so you don't have to scroll? Should the calendar offer more views in landscape mode? Sure. But I'd put those kinds of things in the "Tweaks That Would Be Cool If They'd Get Around To It" category and I'm not especially outraged that they're not included in the first release of a new phone.

    With Palm's PIM history, I expected an above average, better than iPhone or Blackberry PIM/calendar. If the calendar was JUST average, I'd sit quietly on the sidelines, waiting for Palm to tweak features along the way until I was happy (as I'm doing with the texting app., the phone app., the sound preferences, etc.) Since the calendar is so far below average, I'll throw in most any time somebody posts a calendar complaint thread.


    *Ironically, before the Pre was released I tried porting all my calendar data from my Treo to my iPod Touch calendar and it worked flawlessly! Categories worked, it synced with the Apple iCal app on my Mac... it was great! Now, the calendar itself was lacking some features and I don't want to have my calendar on my iPod, and I just did it as an experiment, but it actually worked and the same exact calendar data ported to a Pre crashes it. Am I over it? Yeah. Is it inexcusable that Apple's calendar doesn't crash with my PALM OS Treo data but the Pre's calendar does? Yeah.
  12. #32  
    larnapp,
    You got a nice list that Palm needs to fix on the Calendar.
  13. wicketr's Avatar
    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #33  
    While the sluggishness is pretty bad, the biggie for me is the "Agenda View" that should also be displayed on the home screen (and locked screen) so I don't have to open my calendar to see what I have to do for the day.

    The sluggishness is probably due to the fact that they make a call to Google every time you change the day. Since WebOS is single threaded, they are stuck until the Google call returns.

    They need to be able to make that call behind the scenes, or only sync and call it when prompted by the user....like email. It does not freeze when you open the folder. It displays the folder and then calls the server to update behind the scenes.
  14. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #34  
    Mr. Rubinstein: I DO care about Itunes sync. PLEASE fix it before the next update!
  15. #35  
    Is it too much to agree that iTunes sync is not as important as the improvements in the Calendar (or Video capture, or Text forwarding, or Voice Dailing, more launcher pages...)?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    ...THEN BE PATIENT! Listen, we're 'early adopters'...EXPECT ISSUES! The iPhone STILL has issues for people & it's been out for 3 years!
    I disagree that we are "early adopters". We are not Beta testers with a pre-release device. We PAID for a commercially available device. Palm's silence regarding the MANY missing features and MANY functional advantages to older Palm products does not help the situation.

    Also, the fact that the iFauxn still has issues is one of the reasons people bought a Pre. Palm needs to make sure NOT to give those people a reason to go back. Just because Apple is slow to add or correct issues, does not mean Palm must do the same.

    Quite frankly, Palm needs to GET OVER the iPhone competition and iTunes sync issues. Palm needs to re-establish itself as a unique (and best of breed) alternative to Blackberry and iPhone.
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    I disagree that we are "early adopters". We are not Beta testers with a pre-release device.
    Actually you sort of are, but you would be with any of the major platforms. The model they all follow is to get the OS to "acceptable" and then work out issues from real world usage and update them if the platform is successful and they expect to support this. This is because the mobile lifecycle is such that if they held on devices and OSes unti they were perfect they would be out of date before release. So if you are early adopter on a platform you generally will serve the same function as a beta tester - that's why I always wait until the second generation of an OS or piece of hardware as they have will have worked out the really major issues.
  18. #38  
    larnapp, well done. Captured all the problems neatly.

    Maybe if Palm wasn't pouring all its resources into the stupid app store and SDK someone could've taken the time to attend to the issues. What worries me is the possibility that someone at Palm decided it's good enough.
  19. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    While the sluggishness is pretty bad, the biggie for me is the "Agenda View" that should also be displayed on the home screen (and locked screen) so I don't have to open my calendar to see what I have to do for the day.

    The sluggishness is probably due to the fact that they make a call to Google every time you change the day. Since WebOS is single threaded, they are stuck until the Google call returns.

    They need to be able to make that call behind the scenes, or only sync and call it when prompted by the user....like email. It does not freeze when you open the folder. It displays the folder and then calls the server to update behind the scenes.
    I'm no programmer, and it certainly seems you know a lot more than me about the workings of the calendar (making calls to Google, single-threaded webOS, etc.) but in my admittedly amateur testing... if the problem was the calls to Google, I would think that putting the phone in Airplane Mode would blank out the calendar and page turning would become instant. When I put it in Airplane Mode all the appointments are still there and page turning is just as dog-slow.

    I think the calendar is broke.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Actually you sort of are, but you would be with any of the major platforms. The model they all follow is to get the OS to "acceptable" and then work out issues from real world usage and update them if the platform is successful and they expect to support this. This is because the mobile lifecycle is such that if they held on devices and OSes unti they were perfect they would be out of date before release. So if you are early adopter on a platform you generally will serve the same function as a beta tester - that's why I always wait until the second generation of an OS or piece of hardware as they have will have worked out the really major issues.
    Of course a product must ship at some point and some problems are understandable.

    What we have reflects Palm's idea of the most important things to ship first.

    So, a barely usable calendar with broken notifications and alarms were trumped by menu animations that actually make it harder to select.

    In the Music app it was more important to show album art instead of loading quick and letting the user scroll.

    These are just a couple of examples that show Palm's priorities are the issue here. Form over function, from Palm.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions