Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I am still frustrated by this "extremely slow" concept. I just flicked ahead seven days in about 8 seconds. I went to week view and flicked ahead four weeks in 5 seconds and then, in two seconds, tapped on a given day. Then in month view flicked back three months and tapped on a given day in 5 seconds. That seems like a lot of moving around in less than 30 seconds. By the way, in month view and week view it doesn't wait until the screen is populated to flick to the next screen; you can just keep flicking as fast as your thumb can flick. So, it seems to me that using a combination of the views and the "Jump to Date" in the header bar allows you to navigate fairly quickly around the calendar.

I have never been in that situation where a bunch of people were entering a bunch of dates very fast, but I do enter dates on my Pre in the "real world" very often and nothing takes me more than a few seconds. I did watch someone this afternoon enter an event in the iPhone and it seemed to take him several seconds and several taps to do it, about the same as what it would take in the Pre.

Like I said before, I'm not sure what navigation tools would work well with finger taps. It seems to me like the ones we have work fairly fast.
    It's not a concept, it's what we experience. It may look fine when scheduling stuff on your own, but when interacting with others in real time it's too slow. You'll have to experience it for yourself, but understand that it's not a dreamed up requirement. Palm's own development guidelines stipulate that a user should be able to use the application and keep up with someone talking to them on the phone (i.e. in real time.) This was certainly possible with the old Palm OS.

And there is no way to search the calendar unless you want to swipe furiously between numerous days to find a particular event.

I actually took some online event listing and practiced entering it all quickly into the Pre, practice definitely helps, I recommend doing it. I also recommend quitting all apps before using the calendar to make sure it has enough memory.

Still I keep running into situations where I'm standing there trying to respond to a question and my Pre is just floundering about for what seems like eternity. It's unpredictable.
    Last edited by sivan; 12/01/2009 at 12:38 AM.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    instantaneous was moving around in my clie calendar; there was no lag at all. Search would return multiple results from years of entries in a fraction of a second. It was really quite impressive. The Pre's calendar is a toy by comparison but I'm sure it will be fixed in the next update.
    wow, this post is still alive. Hopefully there will be an update to the calendar. My specific issue is a month view when changing an event. Get rid of the scroll wheel.
    FWIW, I did the troubleshooting steps. No luck. The problem is with the Pre.

This time when a deleted recurrence popped back up, (luckily for me) I had already rescheduled the time, so I was "double booked" for the hour, not as awful as sitting here for an hour and cursing Mr. Rubenstein, et al.

My thought would be that an Android phone would have excellent integration of the Google calendar and, in fact, all the Google applications. By forcing us all to the cloud, perhaps Palm set the stage for its own destruction -- at least among those who both migrated to Google and who legitimately want to use the phone as a business scheduling device.

I do hope that Palm puts down the kool-aid, picks up the double espresso and gets moving on a serious fix for the PIM functionality.

I'm getting tired of making do without - a decent calendar, an ereader, ability to edit documents - but I remain patient (albeit this is somewhat enforced by my switch-to-Sprint-for-Pre contract). I am hopeful that more functionality will be forthcoming in the near future, but I fear that many developers have moved WebOS to the low priority bin - just as Palm has moved PIM, like calendar functionality to its low priority bin.

I think that Palm enthusiasm in the marketplace would be much higher if Palm could provide that which it has previously been known for, superior PIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    FWIW, I did the troubleshooting steps. No luck. The problem is with the Pre.
    The problem is you haven't determined where the issue lies, and can't until you complete the troubleshooting process.

I understand the reluctance to deal with "live data" (which was why I recommended specifically using non-essential appointments). Without continued troubleshooting, we don't know if the Pre is adding the data back (which would be a Palm issue), or Google is, and that change is being reflected on the Pre (which would be a Google issue).

Unfortunately, this is often the issue with problems like this. Users don't want to help troubleshoot, they just want it "fixed", and those working on it can't fix it unless they can either duplicate it, or have the person with the problem help troubleshoot.

Good luck though.
    Good heavens, I'll be more precise.

I went to preferences and deleted the entire google calendar, then I reset the Pre, followed by a re-install of the google calender and subsequent designation of said google calendar as default.
    Then I manually re-entered the password on the google account and hit "sign in."
    I followed that by both entering a fake recurring appt and deleting a real instance of a current recurring appt that arose while I was (again) wasting my time trying to fix the Palm calendar issue.
    I had no need to hit "sync now" as the changes appeared almost immediately - both ways.
    I then deleted an individual instance from the fake recurring appt on the computer and I deleted an individual instance from the fake recurring appt on the Pre. I hit "sync now" and everything looked right. Real appt gone and the deletions from PC and Pre were both still deleted from both places.
    Then I got in my car, drove to Starbucks and then to my office. Booted up the computer and here is what I saw:
    On the PC: What I had deleted from the PC - a single instance of the fake recurring appt - was not showing on the PC, but the 2 deletions from Pre were back on the PC calendar - that is, a single instance of the new fake recurring appt and a single instance of a real recurring appt.
    On the Pre: Everything was there, no deletions whatsoever. It showed me double booked for 5pm today and the new fake recurring appt still meets every Friday - including Xmas & New Years, the 2 deletions.

My conclusion: Palm has a big calendar problem.

hparsons, I appreciate that you love Palm, so do I, but sometimes love is toxic and sometimes relationships are codependent. I fear my love affair with Palm has taken a turn that way when I am hanging on trying to make it work and there's a big, Google/Android world out there.

I suspect 1.3.5 may fix this - although at the mere mention, Mr. Gr actually scoffed aloud (he is now heavily into mocking my predicitons regarding what new Palm updates will address). My suspicion regardless of calendar issues is that 1.3.5 will address itunes sync in some way.

I stand by my assertion re: Palm's focus.

Your help was appreciated however.
    Good heavens, I'll be more precise.

I went to preferences and deleted the entire google calendar, then I reset the Pre, followed by a re-install of the google calender and subsequent designation of said google calendar as default.
    Then I manually re-entered the password on the google account and hit "sign in."
    I followed that by both entering a fake recurring appt and deleting a real instance of a current recurring appt that arose while I was (again) wasting my time trying to fix the Palm calendar issue.
    I had no need to hit "sync now" as the changes appeared almost immediately - both ways.
    I then deleted an individual instance from the fake recurring appt on the computer and I deleted an individual instance from the fake recurring appt on the Pre. I hit "sync now" and everything looked right. Real appt gone and the deletions from PC and Pre were both still deleted from both places.
    Then I got in my car, drove to Starbucks and then to my office. Booted up the computer and here is what I saw:
    On the PC: What I had deleted from the PC - a single instance of the fake recurring appt - was not showing on the PC, but the 2 deletions from Pre were back on the PC calendar - that is, a single instance of the new fake recurring appt and a single instance of a real recurring appt.
    On the Pre: Everything was there, no deletions whatsoever. It showed me double booked for 5pm today and the new fake recurring appt still meets every Friday - including Xmas & New Years, the 2 deletions.

My conclusion: Palm has a big calendar problem.

hparsons, I appreciate that you love Palm, so do I, but sometimes love is toxic and sometimes relationships are codependent. I fear my love affair with Palm has taken a turn that way when I am hanging on trying to make it work and there's a big, Google/Android world out there.

I suspect 1.3.5 may fix this - although at the mere mention, Mr. Gr actually scoffed aloud (he is now heavily into mocking my predicitons regarding what new Palm updates will address). My suspicion regardless of calendar issues is that 1.3.5 will address itunes sync in some way.

I stand by my assertion re: Palm's focus.

Your help was appreciated however.
    Actually, you misinterpret me completely. I really have very little "love" for Palm, I just like to see things work (and find with enough patience, they usually will). Please note that in the other thread, when a user said he was convinced this problem was Google's, I also asked him why he thought that. I don't "love" Google either.

No one can help when the response is "I did the troubleshooting steps, no luck"; especially when the steps included "let me know what happened".

I understand that when people have to resort to asking for help, they are already frustrated. I can also tell you that your conclusion is still just a guess, because you haven't completed troubleshooting. I can understand why you may not want to, but the fact remains.

Here's what I'm talking about:

If Palm is following the Google API exactly, and Google is putting the appointments back because of a gitch in the API, it would still fit your scenario.

If you want to continue troubleshooting, there's one more step that would confirm where this is happening (but again, I understand if you don't want to).

Go through the same steps again; however, this time before you head off to Starbucks (after making sure the changes you made are synced), go to your Google account on the Pre, and put in an incorrect password, and leave it that way. (I would recommend removing the account, but don't want you to lose data).

This will break the synchronization between the two systems.

Whichever one puts the appointment back is most likely the one doing the changing, and the other is simply syncing the change.

Please note, that even though the change done from the web client "stuck", that still doesn't indicate it's the Pre's fault. The Pre change took, it just didn't "stick". You have to figure out which system is trying to change it back.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    This thread is giving me a serious headache. To simplify a bit:

Does Android have ANY of these problems we are experiencing on the Pre's calendar? If not (correct me if they do have some issues...I haven't noticed any), then this appears to be a Pre sync issue in my eyes (and not Google Calendar's "fault" since Android appears to handle everything spot-on with the calendar).

Just my two cents...and apologies in advance if I have completely oversimplified this...no flames, please! It's Christmas!!
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    This thread is giving me a serious headache. To simplify a bit:

Does Android have ANY of these problems we are experiencing on the Pre's calendar? If not (correct me if they do have some issues...I haven't noticed any), then this appears to be a Pre sync issue in my eyes (and not Google Calendar's "fault" since Android appears to handle everything spot-on with the calendar).
    Can't say for sure, but I did a Google search on:

Android sync prprpr
    That's as far as I got, and it filled out "problems" for me, indicating that I'm not the first to look.

The first groups of hits I got were:

Contact Sync Error / Bug - Android Market Help
    3 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Nov 16, 2008
    Best answer - Robin (Android Aide) (Google Employee). I changed my sync all to ... for my phone which is "phone" group and this seemed to fix the problem. ...
    • Google › ... › Android Market › Technical Help - Cached - Similar
    • Google calendar online does not sync with G1 android - Calendar Help? - Nov 21, 2009
    • GMAIL Address book sync problem with mac: middle name issue ...? - Oct 4, 2009
    • HTC Hero and HTC Sync - Android Market Help? - Aug 14, 2009
    • Solution for calendar sync on Android G1 / Rogers Dream phone ...? - Jun 16, 2009

I didn't look at all the details (I don't have an Android, so it would be almost pointless); however, this quote tells us a lot:

It's interesting how many hits "Google calendar Android sync" got. The flakiness of the Calendar sync has lead me to almost miss 2 appts (I called ahead when the G1 didn't jibe w/ my memory), as well as to show up for an appointment whose day had been changed. Not very professional behavior, yet Google's aspires for Android to become widely accepted in the business world.
    (for those that wish to verify, that was found here - http://www.google.com/support/forum/...5bdf689c&hl=en )

From that post alone, I'd probably conclude that the issue isn't Palm's; however, I don't (not yet, not enough information).

I tend to believe that overall, each of the systems work, but that individuals may have issues, and you have to look to find what the issues are.

The trouble is in the "individual" nature of the problems. For instance, I cannot duplicate the problem Dianagr is having. There may be a glitch in either system, or it may be that there is something with her particular system that she's overlooking, and we can't see.
    Personally, I thought that deleting the calendar and then resetting the phone before reinstalling clearly broke sychronization....

Further, since Google never repopulated appts prior to Pre and I have used this system in sync with Outlook since early 2009 (long before I got the Pre in June) and I never had an issue, I'm willing at this point to say it is Pre.

I'm done with the hoop-jumping!!

I agree with timmo, who summarized it well, all signs point to Pre as the culprit. Does anyone know about Android and its integration with Google calendar, tasks, docs, etc.....and if those phones also have these issues?
    I agree with timmo, who summarized it well, all signs point to Pre as the culprit. Does anyone know about Android and its integration with Google calendar, tasks, docs, etc.....and if those phones also have these issues?
    Well, not all signs. Again, just one comment (the full comment I quoted above). Feel free to read the rest here:

Google calendar online does not sync with G1 android - Calendar Help

It's interesting how many hits "Google calendar Android sync" got. The flakiness of the Calendar sync has lead me to almost miss 2 appts (I called ahead when the G1 didn't jibe w/ my memory), as well as to show up for an appointment whose day had been changed. Not very professional behavior, yet Google's aspires for Android to become widely accepted in the business world.

All I want is the something like Hot sync, what I had w/ my Palm TX (at least 4-5 yrs old) e.g, being able to choose that the mobile device overwites the GC, that the GC overwrites the MD that everything on one is duplicates in both, etc. And maybe give me a list of conflicts that I can keep or discard.

Let me add my plea - GOOGLE-WAKE UP!! We early adopters like Android, but unless you address this very BIG problem, you'll lose us and all the buzz that (collectively) we provide.
    Does anyone know about Android and its integration with Google calendar, tasks, docs, etc.....and if those phones also have these issues?
    I've used my G1 with Google with no problems but haven't look at recent problems I had with the Pre also on my G1. I still have the G1 and it sits at home passively syncing with Google. It will be interesting to see if the same problems occur there, I'll try remembering to look.

As far as PIM, not much on offer with Android. You can't search the calendar and the date and time widget is very primitive. On the plus side, it does have Agenda, and it doesn't lag. There are a couple of alternatives, one is a universal search like tool which seems to work quite well, but is limited to 30 days (all that's stored on the device). There's another nice and polished calendar by a former Palm user that's open source, but it uses its own database and I don't know how well it syncs with Google.

Android devices don't even ship with a notepad app or tasks. But, RTM has a native client for it, and there is an open source one, Astrid, also very nice. What else? Contact management is quite good but there's no automatic synergy-like consolidation. Overall it's not a great PIM platform.

Ironically, in the long term I think the iPhone will end up being the best PIM platform because quality apps are written for it first. Already PocketInformant and Omni Focus are great solutions there, and RexWireless is due with their PIM suit early next year.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    Moto Droid has none of the problems listed in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Moto Droid has none of the problems listed in this thread.
    Are you sure??

https://supportforums.motorola.com/m...EFDB5E96.node0

I don't know the specifics of this either; however, it took me about 30 seconds to do a Google search and find this (and a bucnh similar).

My point here is that anectdotal information like that is easy to find. Even multiple accounts of similar anectdotal information. There's not enough here in any of these to lay the blame anywhere. Issues must be determined.

However, I'm done with it. Those that want to be convinced that Palm is the fault, will choose to be. Those that want to blame Google will do that as well. There's be a few folks that are smart enough to actually find the problem, and they'll likely get a system that works for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Are you sure??
    Quite. Open box, turn it on, sign in, calendar(s) synced (I have 4 on Google). Change on Mac, shows up on phone within ~ 20 seconds. There are always those who have trouble with technology like this. There are also those (rare) times when Google is down (cloud computing - always have a backup!). But compared to my experiences with WM, BB, and WebOS, the Android's synchronization with Google is seamless - as it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Quite. Open box, turn it on, sign in, calendar(s) synced (I have 4 on Google). Change on Mac, shows up on phone within ~ 20 seconds. There are always those who have trouble with technology like this. There are also those (rare) times when Google is down (cloud computing - always have a backup!). But compared to my experiences with WM, BB, and WebOS, the Android's synchronization with Google is seamless - as it should be.
    Thank you very much for that anectdotal example. My experience with synching my Pre to two different Google accounts, with a total of 10 calendars was similar. My experience with using it in conjunction with my multiple computers was similarly seamless.

So, because my seamless efforts on the Pre compare to your seamless efforts on the Droid, does that qualify me to say "Palm Pre has none of the problems listed in this thread"?

I hope you see my point...

Neither of our anectdotal positive experiences nullifies the experiences that others are having.
    I find the calendar quite briska nd don't experience significant lags. It's just that the day display is hopeless and one has to tap on each item to see what's going on.
    It needs a builtin Agenda view
    Personally at least with the Homebrew Agenda and QuickEvent, the Calendar is actually reasonably useable now.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    5. To Pre users with genuine WebOs problems: Keep posting your concerns and solutions. Ignore Hparsons.
    Wholeheartedly in agreement, and, Hp just became the first person I've ever selected to be on a forum's 'ignore' function (that alone should cut down on my post scanning time immensely).
    Hi Do you know how I can sync Lotus notes to PRE ,based in uk
    Any word or opinions on whether the upcoming 1.3.5 update will address calender performance on the pre? I was somewhat disappointed to learn that lag on the pixie would be addressed but not specifically on the pre.

DISCLAIMER

IF READING CRITICAL POSTS ABOUT PALM AND/OR WEBOS WHICH ARE, BY ANY MEASURE, LESS THAN LAUDATORY THUS CONSTITUTING AN OFFENSE TO THE READER AKIN TO AN INSULT TO HIS WIFE OR MOTHER, PLEASE PUT EEKINSMAN ON IGNORE AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OR LEGAL THEORY SHALL EEKINSMAN, HIS FAMILY, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, LICENSEES, OR ASSIGNS, EITHER JOINTLY OR SEVERALY, BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR OTHER LOSS OF ANY KIND, RELATING TO YOUR FRAGILE, UNUSUAL, UNHEALTHY AND ODD PREDILECTION TO PROTECT PALM AND/OR WEBOS FROM NEGATIVE POSTS.

TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY PRECENTRAL, THE WORDS AND CONTENT OF THIS POST, INCLUDING THOSE IN THIS DISCLAIMER, ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE A RANT AGAINST PALM AND/OR WEBOS AND DO NOT REFLECT THE POSTER’S HATRED FOR PALM.

THE POSTER HEREBY DISCLAIMS AND DISAVOWS AND DOES NOT ENDORSE OR SPONSOR OR AGREE WITH SENSELESS THREADS AND POSTS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, “‘I’M LEAVING FOR THE DROID’ ‘PALM SUCKS’ APPLE RULES’ THE PRE IS THE WORST PHONE EVER’ AND ALL OTHER OF SIMILAR ILK WHICH BY THEIR NATURE TREAT THE PALM PRE AS ANYTHING BUT PRECIOUS.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast