1.    #1  
    hey guys. i would've posted this in the homebrew forum but i don't have privileges for that.

either way, i've been using the palm-install method to install homebrew apps but now it doesn't work in snow leopard. so i have two questions:

am i missing something or did snow leopard remove this functionality?

with the quick install method, if i do it now will i lose all the other apps i've installed?

thanks guys.
  2.    #2  
    actually... i can't even install the quick-install on snow leopard. anybody else running snow leopard?
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    hey guys. i would've posted this in the homebrew forum but i don't have privileges for that.

either way, i've been using the palm-install method to install homebrew apps but now it doesn't work in snow leopard. so i have two questions:

am i missing something or did snow leopard remove this functionality?

with the quick install method, if i do it now will i lose all the other apps i've installed?

thanks guys.
    There's are easier ways to install HomeBrew apps on the Pre on Snow Leopard, and on any OS really:

Don't use the command line tools. Get WebOSQuickInstall (google it) and then use that to install apps onto your Pre.

Once you've got WebOSQuickInstall get this: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/filecoaster

Use WebOSQuickInstall to zap that onto your Pre, and then launch filecoaster to download and install HomeBrew apps directly on the Pre itself.

Have fun!
  4.    #4  
    shiggitay, thanks for the reply.

the problem i'm having though is that QuickInstall does not work... at all.

I download it and it asks for webosdoctor. I tell it to download that but it can't find it. So I found it myself and it still asks for it.

Plain and simple installing snow leopard just wiped out my ability to install homebrew apps. That is unless someone else can help me out.

Also, admins, why can't I post in the homebrew app forum?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    shiggitay, thanks for the reply.

the problem i'm having though is that QuickInstall does not work... at all.

I download it and it asks for webosdoctor. I tell it to download that but it can't find it. So I found it myself and it still asks for it.

Plain and simple installing snow leopard just wiped out my ability to install homebrew apps. That is unless someone else can help me out.

Also, admins, why can't I post in the homebrew app forum?
    First, you've got to understand that the Homebrew forum is only for homebrew apps, not problems with installations, etc. This thread should probably be in the WebOS development forum, but this works.

when it asks for webosdoctor, you need to make sure that you're running WebOS Quick Install out of the same folder. So if you have webosquickinstall in your Applications folder, you need to have webosdoctor there as well. It looks for it, but only in the same place.

Post back if that's working. I'm running it on Snow Leopard with no problems.
  6.    #6  
    That was it stubbs, I was putting the wrong file in the webosquickinstall directory. It's working now and yes... it's much better than the palm-install method.

Although, I wish we had that still going. It's the only thing that worked throughout each update.
    I have nothing to add that's useful here, other than it is incredibly hard for me to refrain from bashing the use of that particular Unix shell.

Must..... not...... bash