Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ive had my pre since it came out and loved it up to a month ago!

- first my screen started not responding. I went to the sprint store and they showed me the soft reset which would help.

- Then my screen started switching and loosing stored contacts and music.

_ sprint said it was the battery and replaced the battery. Still problems and they switched the phone out for me.

_ I just got my new phone Friday and wake up this morning to find the display has a crack across it ( No I did not drop it) I put it on the magnet charger last night and then wake up to a crack. I have noticed it gets hot when charging could this have caused the crack?

- Now the kicker I go to the store they tell me I have to file a claim under insurance. I call and the insurance wants $100 and offers me a Razor!!!!

- Im thinking of buying out my brand new contract to go with a company that understands customer service and stands behind a product.
    post a picture of the crack and the manufacture date...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    WOWWWWWWW they're really being stupid and rude to you. If they don't treat their customers better how do they expect to get better ratings as a carrier??? i hope you get a new pre for free like it should be...
    Sorry, but if you got a crack on it, that means you did it. If you really think the heat caused it, then why would you want another one?
    We have 2 Pres and they both get hot while charging. I don't think there's any way that could have caused the crack. Hopefully you will get it resolved quickly though.
    Call and file an insurance claim and they offer you a razor.......thats classic.
    I would contact Palm directly. I have heard many stories about this screen cracking thing and they are very aware of it. Call Palm before contacting the insurance company. They may be able to help you.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    ok here's what you do. well first of all i had the same problem. i am on my 4rth pre, first one had wiggle on slider, second had a dead pixle and a little wiggle on slider, third pre also cracked on its own, yes it does sound unlikely but it did. well i went to a sprint store and of course they said i had to file a claim! so that pre actually didnt have any wiggle on the slider. so i decided to try and force it to wiggle a bit, and sure enough after messing with it for a few minutes i got it to wiggle (i know this sounds very malicious). so i went back to another sprint store didnt mention the crack and just told them i was sick of this phone because of the wiggle on the slider, and walla they ordered me a replacement no questions asked. i know this might sound like fraud, but it truly isnt. we are not the only ones that got spontaneous cracks on our pre's screen, there is many others. i truly believe it is a build flaw. and about the offering of a razor, that sounds very strange. my wife lost her phone and filed a claim with Asurion online. the $100 deductible was billed to our sprint account. she got her replacement palm pre in 2 days. i dont even think you need to call sprint. you just file your claim on that website (phoneclaim.com/sprint), even if you brake it, just say you lost it and you dont have to send back anything.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I'd suggest moving to Android on T-Mobile... it looks like TMO (ie Deutsche Telekom) is gonna buy Sprint anyway.... Mr. Hesse really has dropped the ball to many times.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    We have 2 Pres and they both get hot while charging. I don't think there's any way that could have caused the crack. Hopefully you will get it resolved quickly though.
    That's actually not true. Thermal cycling can accelerate stress related defects. And Plastic does not have the thermal stability of glass. I suspect that the heating is contributing to the cracking and I further suspect users who use the touch stone are more vulnerable to cracking.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    I'd suggest moving to Android on T-Mobile... it looks like TMO (ie Deutsche Telekom) is gonna buy Sprint anyway.... Mr. Hesse really has dropped the ball to many times.
    The rumors of a merger are just speculation from a newspaper that gets it wrong more often than it gets it right.

As for the second half, it's not Hesse that's dropped the ball. That was all Gary Forsee who did a horrid job. Hesse has been doing pretty well since he took over. He's bringing a ton of anticipated phones to Sprint, customer service has improved (maybe not in this specific instance, but in general CS has gotten much better over the past couple years), and this AnyMobile thing should help quite a bit as well, besides the fact that they're moving first on 4G with WiMax.
    call palm this is a well documented issue ! mine crack while it was in the car and they replaced it post pics if you can thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The rumors of a merger are just speculation from a newspaper that gets it wrong more often than it gets it right.

As for the second half, it's not Hesse that's dropped the ball. That was all Gary Forsee who did a horrid job. Hesse has been doing pretty well since he took over. He's bringing a ton of anticipated phones to Sprint, customer service has improved (maybe not in this specific instance, but in general CS has gotten much better over the past couple years), and this AnyMobile thing should help quite a bit as well, besides the fact that they're moving first on 4G with WiMax.
    I think he's done ok. But not exceptional. You wouldn't expect the low cost company to be losing customers or having trouble attaining them.

Just leads me to think that Sprint needs to fine tune this and get the message across better. I know a couple that recently switched to AT&T..both dumbphones..never read forums or anything techie. Their reason? They thought AT&T was cheaper.

Then there's still the confusion of plans for many. The word "everything" is in a lot of their plans but really only applies to the 99 plan.

If i was sprint for a day, i'd move to a Starter Smartphone (or some other name) plan that includes 400 min for like 49 and push it (sell the other two plans at point of sale..this is the plan that gets them to you). Then an Any Mobile Any Time plan that includes 1000 minutes for 69. Then the Simply Everything at 89. This lets people in the door for cheap but really offers enticements to upgrade to the latter two.

Keep getting new phones. Keep up the good CS. Market quality & value. Get 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    That's actually not true. Thermal cycling can accelerate stress related defects. And Plastic does not have the thermal stability of glass. I suspect that the heating is contributing to the cracking and I further suspect users who use the touch stone are more vulnerable to cracking.
    Still seems unlikely. Treo Pros and Touch Pros are also known for getting hot while charging and you don't hear about this issue so much with them.
    you got some luck there, maybe you should buy a lottery ticket or something, you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think he's done ok. But not exceptional. You wouldn't expect the low cost company to be losing customers or having trouble attaining them.

Just leads me to think that Sprint needs to fine tune this and get the message across better. I know a couple that recently switched to AT&T..both dumbphones..never read forums or anything techie. Their reason? They thought AT&T was cheaper.

Then there's still the confusion of plans for many. The word "everything" is in a lot of their plans but really only applies to the 99 plan.

If i was sprint for a day, i'd move to a Starter Smartphone (or some other name) plan that includes 400 min for like 49 and push it (sell the other two plans at point of sale..this is the plan that gets them to you). Then an Any Mobile Any Time plan that includes 1000 minutes for 69. Then the Simply Everything at 89. This lets people in the door for cheap but really offers enticements to upgrade to the latter two.

Keep getting new phones. Keep up the good CS. Market quality & value. Get 4G.
    Good advice, but there's another really, really vital component as well:

Sprint has the lowest cost plans, but the HIGHEST out-of-pocket costs of any major carrier - thanks to the stupid, outdated mail-in rebate. And as Apple's pricing has clearly shown, customers will take a bath on plans if they think they're getting a good deal with how much they have to shell out on day one.

So Sprint can talk Everything plans all day, but when someone is shopping for, say, a TouchPro2, and they have to shell out $450 for one on Sprint versus $350 for T-Mobile or $199 on Verizon, who will they go with?

Verizon's TouchPro2 - ironically - costs the MOST of the three over two years, but by dropping the initial price to $200, they made headlines on every tech site recently on how they had the only "sane" price on the device.

Same goes for Blackberries or any other cross-platform device. Sprint always lags in day one pricing, and Verizon twists the knife further with their BOGO blowouts on Blackberries.

And finally, if someone is thinking of a Pre or an iPhone 3GS, they will have to pay $250 (used to be $300) out of pocket for the unknown 8GB Pre, and just $199 out of pocket for the known, well-hyped 16GB iPhone 3GS. If someone is dipping their toe into the smartphone waters for the first time, which option do you think will have the advantage from the jump?

Sprint's out-of-the-door pricing is a HUGE, HUGE stumbling block that continues to function as a deterrent to both new customers and existing subscribers whose contract is up.

I'm continually astounded that Sprint cuts prices on "everything" (Pun intended) except for the most fundamental price area. But they'll either learn their lesson and change it, or eventually get bought out by someone who already knows what a bad idea mail-in rebates on everything is.
    Sorry, but if you got a crack on it, that means you did it.
    Sorry, stupid, uninformed comment. You don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Good advice, but there's another really, really vital component as well:

Sprint has the lowest cost plans, but the HIGHEST out-of-pocket costs of any major carrier - thanks to the stupid, outdated mail-in rebate. And as Apple's pricing has clearly shown, customers will take a bath on plans if they think they're getting a good deal with how much they have to shell out on day one.

So Sprint can talk Everything plans all day, but when someone is shopping for, say, a TouchPro2, and they have to shell out $450 for one on Sprint versus $350 for T-Mobile or $199 on Verizon, who will they go with?

Verizon's TouchPro2 - ironically - costs the MOST of the three over two years, but by dropping the initial price to $200, they made headlines on every tech site recently on how they had the only "sane" price on the device.

Same goes for Blackberries or any other cross-platform device. Sprint always lags in day one pricing, and Verizon twists the knife further with their BOGO blowouts on Blackberries.

And finally, if someone is thinking of a Pre or an iPhone 3GS, they will have to pay $250 (used to be $300) out of pocket for the unknown 8GB Pre, and just $199 out of pocket for the known, well-hyped 16GB iPhone 3GS. If someone is dipping their toe into the smartphone waters for the first time, which option do you think will have the advantage from the jump?

Sprint's out-of-the-door pricing is a HUGE, HUGE stumbling block that continues to function as a deterrent to both new customers and existing subscribers whose contract is up.

I'm continually astounded that Sprint cuts prices on "everything" (Pun intended) except for the most fundamental price area. But they'll either learn their lesson and change it, or eventually get bought out by someone who already knows what a bad idea mail-in rebates on everything is.
    Good points as well. And we see it all the time on here. "What's the cost? was a constant question leading up to the Pre launch. Nevermind that it didn't matter if the sprint plan was cheaper.

Mail in rebates aren't worth the hit Sprint takes vs the revenue from them. It's just one more thing complicating things and the number one thing customers cite that prevents them from moving to a smartphone are the complexities involved...a million plans, contracts, addons, learning curve of device, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by quahtrader View Post
    Sorry, stupid, uninformed comment. You don't know what you are talking about.
    I'm sorry. Silly me. I hate it when screens crack on me for no reason.
    I'm sorry. Silly me. I hate it when screens crack on me for no reason.
    OF course they crack for a reason.

You state that the only reason is the fault of the phone's owner. And it's that implication that is uninformed and incorrect.

I'm sure you've seen my thread. It's obvious, even to Palm, that some Pre's do crack without fault of the owner. Otherwise, they wouldn't be replacing the screens for free.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast