Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hi, I have internet service at home via Optimum online. Because of that, I get free access to their region wifi network.

However, when I see their signal, I say connect (initially) but to actually use it, I have to open the browser, go to any page and fill in a user and password. Then its fine (similar to hotels).

So let's say I go to the local sandwich shop with wifi coverage. Not paying attention, I'll start using the phone, it will then sense an optimum access point and automatically connect because they don't use wep or anything. But if I'm using an app that isn't browser based (such as email, youtube etc) it doesn't work because it hasn't been 'unlocked' since I haven't gone to the web page and typed in the name and password.

I have the same problem with an ipod touch I have.

Anybody know of a way around this to either have it not always ask me for the login, or for it to do something other than simply not work. It doesn't seem to be smart enough to fall back to 3g. I have to basically disable wifi for it to work if I don't want to go to the log in page.

Other times, I'll be driving through town and again, it will find these access points and my internet will stop working. I basically have to keep wifi off in my area unless I explicitly know I need to use it. This seems really clumsy. if they just used wep or something, it would be much easier but they dont.
    Mark F Chinsky
    You leave your WIFI on all day? Seems kind of silly. Huge battery drain with very little, if any performance increase.

The only time I use my WIFI is when I am in a fringe area to save battery life, or if I am sharing my internet, which means you lose on-device connectivity anyhow.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    In my office we have weak sprint coverage. With wifi on the battery drain is actually significantly less. I've heard in general, you should leave wifi on as it lowers battery drain and doesn't seem to affect drain if wifi coverage isn't available
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I think this is the nature of wifi connection software. No device I am aware of will know to pop up a login prompt when it tries to connect to an access point needing web intervention to activate the connection.
    I've not seen a workaround for this but someone could write a browser based script to handle it.

P.S. Can you save the password? If so, you should just be able to start the browser and automatically be logged in.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    If it wou,d at least offer the option to prompt to use a specific wifi connectio I could say no.

It doesn't allow a password save unfortunately
    Mark F Chinsky
    leaving your wifi on all day will not save you battery life. Only in low coverage areas. You are powering an extra radio. I would consider getting in the habit of turning it off unless you are somewhere that you specifically need it.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Only in low coverage areas.
    And since Sprint doesn't have any low coverage areas...oh wait.

99% of the time, unless in a specifically-low coverage area, WIFI is only wasting your battery. In the OP's case, it is even causing a major hinderance as well. Seems like a no-brainer to just turn it off.
    no 'Thanks'
    If you don't use that service frequently, you can tell the Pre to "forget" the network. Go into the wifi settings app, tap on the Optimum network, scroll down to the bottom and hit "Forget Network."

Now Pre won't try to connect to it automatically anymore. Next time you want to use it, you can connect again. This wouldn't be that inconvenient for you since you have to log in to use it anyway. Then just forget it again when you're done with it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer